DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 31, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,766 of 10,535
It's been said (answered) in previous pages. With 2 wires, don't twist them. Just criss-cross the wires, left to right and the reverse. Wires got default shape memories. If you twist them, they'd wanna un-twist by itself. If you do the criss-cross, the force that makes the wire wanna return to their original shape actually make the 'twist' tighter.

He builds custom cables as a business. He's more than aware of the process. He wants the video link for a customer that could likely benefit from a visual.
Unfortunately, the member that posted it was ban. Not sure if the video is still around.
I'll see if I can track it down.

Edit: Toxic Cables found it.

https://youtu.be/rAhFN5dxL4g

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,767 of 10,535
I'll never understand how you get banned from here, people are so nice and open to opinion.
smile.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,768 of 10,535
He builds custom cables as a business. He's more than aware of the process. He wants the video link for a customer that could likely benefit from a visual.
Unfortunately, the member that posted it was ban. Not sure if the video is still around.

Edit: @Toxic Cables found it.

Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

Yes, was for a customer that bought a DIY kit, thought it would be easier for him to see how it's done, then the possibility of getting it wrong with my instructions.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #3,773 of 10,535

Edit: @Toxic Cables found it.

Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

Yes, was for a customer that bought a DIY kit, thought it would be easier for him to see how it's done, then the possibility of getting it wrong with my instructions.

Ah didn't see the user ID when quoted, my bad.

But if it's just for simple instruction only, maybe record a simple video using smartphone or stuffs? At least better than nothing.

Edit: or better yet, face time or skype maybe?

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,774 of 10,535
  That's insane... How does this person continue to get review units...

I think it's perfectly normal to sell review units, depending on the agreement between him and the brand. Like, 'do you need this thing back after I reviewed it?' If the answer is no, then it's practically a giveaway, or like said, a 'payment'. He should be able to do whatever he want with it. 

For example, let's say I'm a GPU reviewer. Because brands think I did a good job, they send me lots of stuffs. Now after all the jobs (or reviewing) are done, what am I gonna do with 10 GPUs? I sure as hell can't use them all in my only PC. Give them away is an option, but if I can sell it (in other words, if somebody wanna buy it), then yeah, nothing wrong with that.

It's just against the rule of this forum, and he got banned, based on the link.

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,775 of 10,535
So I'm in some serious trouble with the SO. I've been using plain speaker cables to hook up my floor standing front speakers. I had promised to make / procure some nice looking speaker cables since they're exposed.

I'm looking to find a nice sleeve for the Belden 5T00UP 10 AWG Speaker Cable. Any recommendations? I love the matte look of the more fabric looking sleeves but I only can find the plastic stuff. Also what diameter / size sleeve should I order?

Thanks!

Edit:
Hmmm. Fabric sounds like a dust magnet. Is there a higher quality sleeve that's not a dust magnet?

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,776 of 10,535
Hello! My name is Nimblue. I came to this forum mainly because it seems like the best choise, but also because i am in desperate need for help.

So, i am assuming that you guys like good quality headsets like sennheiser and such. And hopefully i wont get too much hate for this, but i recently got a Razer Kraken Pro.

I'm not a lot into audio, so for me, i like the quality that it's producing. I understand that i can get better value with other headsets, and i understand Razer might be bad quality, but i am honestly satisfied with it, so please dont tell me to refund it and get a better headset.

Anyways, to the case. I got it like.. 4 days ago, and i'm liking it so far. Problem is that the cord from the headset is very thin, i'm used to a Razer Tiamat 7.1 which had a really sturdy and durable cord, but not the case with this one.

I've gotten a single really minor scratch:

http://i.imgur.com/C8tSsdx.jpg

This picture doesnt really do it much justice, and sorry for the bad quality picture. But, the scratch is there. And i wanna be on the safe side, and i dont know the right word for this. (English isnt my mother language).

But i've been wanting to braid / sleeve my cord.

It consists of a few things;

The cord from my headset, which goes into a splitter. And the splitter into the computer. For now i'm only wanting to braid / sleeve the cord from my headset.

http://i.imgur.com/B7jD1wk.jpg

As seen in this picture, i took the cord out of the splitter, so that's the only thing i wanna work with at the moment.

I've heard about thermoheat tubes, but i honestly think they are rather ugly, and i'm not interested in working with them.

Hopefully, this is something which is possible with braided sleeving. I dont know how to do this, where to buy them etc. 

The specs is:

Cable Length: 1.3 m / 4.27 ft plus 2m / 6.6 ft splitter adapter.

Since i'm not gonna work with the adaptor, we can take that out.

So we have this:

Cable Length: 1.3 m / 4.27 ft plus 2m

I'm not sure what those mean. The 1.3 m could be the length of the thing itself? And i dont know about the last part, and i dont know which of them says how thick it is.

So with that in mind. This is the look i'm trying to go for:

http://imgur.com/a/5k7Zz

Thank you for reading, so to sum it up. I'm looking to braid / sleeve my cord for my Razer Kraken Pro, not using thermosink tubes, but braiding / sleeving, how do i go about doing this? Where can i buy some that fits my cord?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #3,777 of 10,535
  Hello! My name is Nimblue. I came to this forum mainly because it seems like the best choise, but also because i am in desperate need for help.

So, i am assuming that you guys like good quality headsets like sennheiser and such. And hopefully i wont get too much hate for this, but i recently got a Razer Kraken Pro.

I'm not a lot into audio, so for me, i like the quality that it's producing. I understand that i can get better value with other headsets, and i understand Razer might be bad quality, but i am honestly satisfied with it, so please dont tell me to refund it and get a better headset.

Anyways, to the case. I got it like.. 4 days ago, and i'm liking it so far. Problem is that the cord from the headset is very thin, i'm used to a Razer Tiamat 7.1 which had a really sturdy and durable cord, but not the case with this one.

I've gotten a single really minor scratch:

http://i.imgur.com/C8tSsdx.jpg

This picture doesnt really do it much justice, and sorry for the bad quality picture. But, the scratch is there. And i wanna be on the safe side, and i dont know the right word for this. (English isnt my mother language).

But i've been wanting to braid / sleeve my cord.

It consists of a few things;

The cord from my headset, which goes into a splitter. And the splitter into the computer. For now i'm only wanting to braid / sleeve the cord from my headset.

http://i.imgur.com/B7jD1wk.jpg

As seen in this picture, i took the cord out of the splitter, so that's the only thing i wanna work with at the moment.

I've heard about thermoheat tubes, but i honestly think they are rather ugly, and i'm not interested in working with them.

Hopefully, this is something which is possible with braided sleeving. I dont know how to do this, where to buy them etc. 

The specs is:

Cable Length: 1.3 m / 4.27 ft plus 2m / 6.6 ft splitter adapter.

Since i'm not gonna work with the adaptor, we can take that out.

So we have this:

I'm not sure what those mean. The 1.3 m could be the length of the thing itself? And i dont know about the last part, and i dont know which of them says how thick it is.

So with that in mind. This is the look i'm trying to go for:

http://imgur.com/a/5k7Zz

Thank you for reading, so to sum it up. I'm looking to braid / sleeve my cord for my Razer Kraken Pro, not using thermosink tubes, but braiding / sleeving, how do i go about doing this? Where can i buy some that fits my cord?

Thanks in advance!

This would be tough because you have to have a big enough sleeve to get over the adapter. Generally, we usually put the sleeving on before the adapter, but Techflex Pet is expanding sleeving so you could probably get some 3/16" or even 1/4" to get over the adapter and it would fit over the cable. You definitely couldn't use paracord unless you took the adapter off. Another thing is you're going to have to hold the sleeve down somehow and that is usually with shrink tube, once again you have to get big enough shrink tube to fit over the adapter, but small enough so it will hold tight on the cable when you shrink it. A caliper would honestly be your best friend in this situation.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #3,778 of 10,535
  This would be tough because you have to have a big enough sleeve to get over the adapter. Generally, we usually put the sleeving on before the adapter, but Techflex Pet is expanding sleeving so you could probably get some 3/16" or even 1/4" to get over the adapter and it would fit over the cable. You definitely couldn't use paracord unless you took the adapter off. Another thing is you're going to have to hold the sleeve down somehow and that is usually with shrink tube, once again you have to get big enough shrink tube to fit over the adapter, but small enough so it will hold tight on the cable when you shrink it. A caliper would honestly be your best friend in this situation.

This is the specs, which would fit on mine?

And, if i get the. For example, Techflex Pet, do i just pull it over and it will fit? Can i do it without using shrink tube?

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3,779 of 10,535

This is the specs, which would fit on mine?

And, if i get the. For example, Techflex Pet, do i just pull it over and it will fit? Can i do it without using shrink tube?

That is the cable length, you need the cable width, and more importantly the adapter width at it's biggest point. The problem is even if you fit the techflex over the wire there is no way to secure it unless you like glue it down or a better solution shrink tube it.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #3,780 of 10,535
  That is the cable length, you need the cable width, and more importantly the adapter width at it's biggest point. The problem is even if you fit the techflex over the wire there is no way to secure it unless you like glue it down or a better solution shrink tube it.

As seen on here: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken-pro

The adaptor to the splitter, is the same size as all other normals.

It says "Connector: Analog 3.5 mm combined jack (headphone and mic) i assume the splitter is same size as the one i have. Is there any effective ways to tighten it fast?

Also, isnt there any solutions which isnt techflex which will just be a little bigger than the width of the cable? I'll try contacting Razer Support to know the width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back