DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,571 of 10,535
  Yeah but are Lunashops cables high quality?

That's kinda hard to say. What I do know, for example they sell acrolink silver plated copper wires at low price of something like $2-4/m, while sellers at ebay sell completed products of around 1,5m braided (usually it's 4 strands = 6m cables in total) using the exact same cable + regular mini stereo plug (not Viablue or stuffs) at above $100, some even go above $200. Most of the times people will say ebay ones are the higher quality, and/or lunashops' are counterfeit, while I can bet if someone to get the cable at lunashop and the one from ebay, dissect it and test it in a lab, they're the same stuff. 

@creatip That's awesome. If they sell one of those cables that would be mission accomplished. I would have a hard time not laughing out loud if I saw one of those in a system.

I would get one, seriously....if my annual income is above 10 million dollars, that is....

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,572 of 10,535
So any tips for getting individual cables over tight fitting techflex easily?

Over? You mean how to get the techflex over the cables, right?

Are we talking about PET techflex that expands or the nylon multifilament braided sleeving that techflex also sells?

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #3,574 of 10,535
  That nylon multifillament DOES NOT move... I bought some and was bummed that it didn't expand so I went and bout the PET. That stuff is bomb.

There's an idea that I could think of, but never tried, because I never used any sleeving in my cables.

Get a thin and right size heatshrink tube. You'll need very long tube, but the industrial version is dirt cheap. You'd throw them away afterwards anyway.

- Measure and cut the tube length about the cable's length + 30cm or so
- Insert the cable about 15-20cm inside the tube
- Heat the whole length of the tube to make it shrink and grip the cable tightly
- Insert the other end of the tube into the sleeve, all the way to the other end of the sleeve
- Pull.....

Might want to apply talcum powder, vaseline, or even oil along the surface of the tube, to minimize friction between the tube and the inside of the sleeving. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,575 of 10,535

That's kinda hard to say. What I do know, for example they sell acrolink silver plated copper wires at low price of something like $2-4/m, while sellers at ebay sell completed products of around 1,5m braided (usually it's 4 strands = 6m cables in total) using the exact same cable + regular mini stereo plug (not Viablue or stuffs) at above $100, some even go above $200. Most of the times people will say ebay ones are the higher quality, and/or lunashops' are counterfeit, while I can bet if someone to get the cable at lunashop and the one from ebay, dissect it and test it in a lab, they're the same stuff. 

I would get one, seriously....if my annual income is above 10 million dollars, that is....

Would you say that this silver plated wire is better than Mogami W2893? Which one on lunashops would you recommend for making a 3.5mm cable? I have Neutrik connectors and some 95 paracord or 1/4" nylon multifillament for the wires.

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #3,576 of 10,535
  Would you say that this silver plated wire is better than Mogami W2893? Which one on lunashops would you recommend for making a 3.5mm cable? I have Neutrik connectors and some 95 paracord or 1/4" nylon multifillament for the wires.

First thing first, lunashop is only a shop, they don't produce stuffs. It's just whether they sell counterfeits (considering their low prices) or the real stuffs. If you believe they sell counterfeits, then don't order anything from them. If you believe they're legit, then get the one you like. Do some research on cables, and crosscheck if lunashop have them or not. 

Which cable is good which is bad, which is better than which, that's highly subjective. Some people insists on different cables yields different sounds, others don't believe it. 

In short, just get anything that appeals the most to you, and go with it. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #3,577 of 10,535
  That nylon multifillament DOES NOT move... I bought some and was bummed that it didn't expand so I went and bout the PET. That stuff is bomb.

I'm not a huge fan of the PET. I find it to have an unpleasant texture when it touches my skin. I'm way more into soft sleeving. The downside of non-expandable sleeving is trying to worm the wire through. That is the technique you'll need you use. Make sure the end of the wire has a clean cut with no wire sticking out of the insulation. I cut a small piece of electrical tape and stretch it over the end. This serves two purposes: the stretch helps keep it thin, so no added bulk and helps the wire slide easily through. Others attach some something like fish line or a paper clip to the end. Regardless, you need to worm the wire through the sleeving a few inches at a time. Once you get the technique down, it goes really fast. 

The random SPC isn't "better" than mogami - It's just different. The problem with ordering from random sellers on ebay and lunashops is that you have almost no way to confirm that what you're getting is what they are advertising. It could be a load of BS. Sure, you can chemically test the silver and copper to be sure that at least they aren't lying about the materials, but I doubt anyone but me and a few other science nerds like me would even bother. So you are taking it on good faith that you are receiving the advertised product. Even then, the differences are so minute that it wont matter. 
What does matter is functionality. How flexible a cable is. How it feels to the touch near your neck, chest and arms. Does it tangle easy? Does it hold memory easily? These are things that people notice every single time they use a cable. So, if one of those cables is significantly more flexible, softer feeling, doesn't twist or tangle, doesn't hold memory, and the other does? Then yes, one is better. 
Generally speaking, wire with higher strand count is usually more flexible, but it really depends on the type of insulation dielectric that is covering the wire. You won't know until you hold them side by side and compare yourself. 

People choose Mogami and Canare because it is consistent. We know it's pretty flexible and that sleeving it in something soft and to our style preferences like paracord takes care of the rest. When you buy random wire with various different insulation and strand counts, you're rolling the dice. I've personally tried wire from at least 20 different vendors with various different make-ups. 
In the end, nothing can touch the value/performance ratio of Canare L-4E5C.  $0.48/ft (of 4 conductors) from Redco.com. So that comes to $0.12/ft for good quality, industry standard, OFC copper wire. So I still order other wire from time to time? Absolutely. I'm a big fan of PlusSound Audio's basic occ SPC (sold out currently), and their 75-strand occ copper. I love the soft insulation and great flexibility. Whenever I plan on leaving the wire bare, they are my go-to. 

It really comes down to personal preference and usage. "Better" really depends on your wants/needs. My "better" might not be your "better". 

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #3,578 of 10,535
What's wrong with something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Assortment-50-feet-7-strand-/231344763948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dd38f42c

Would I notice a difference between silver plated stuff and a regular Mogami or Canare?

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,580 of 10,535
Over? You mean how to get the techflex over the cables, right?

Are we talking about PET techflex that expands or the nylon multifilament braided sleeving that techflex also sells?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3m-Length-Black-Techflex-Flexo-PET-Expandable-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-/230927952950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item35c460ec36

So PET. Still have difficulties since I bought the smallest diameter expecting it to expand over the wire, inch worm method might work but it might take like 30 mins per wire :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #3,581 of 10,535
  What's wrong with something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Assortment-50-feet-7-strand-/231344763948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dd38f42c

Would I notice a difference between silver plated stuff and a regular Mogami or Canare?

I used Navships a lot when I first started. It's great practice wire. It's quality MIL spec spc. The problem is that it is only 7 strands and the insulation is pretty stiff/memory prone. The overall result is a pretty stiff cable. Sonically it works great, no complaints. 

What is that over the cable? I notice people use clear or gray stuff like that, is that clear strink tube?

Clear heatshrink. Makes it stiffer (that's what she said). It's not for everyone. I'm not a huge fan of it, but some are. 
  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3m-Length-Black-Techflex-Flexo-PET-Expandable-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-/230927952950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item35c460ec36

So PET. Still have difficulties since I bought the smallest diameter expecting it to expand over the wire, inch worm method might work but it might take like 30 mins per wire :frowning2:

Well, if you bought a PET that is too small, then that's going to be a super PITA to worm. Since it isn't flexible, I can see why you are so frustrated. There is a list that shows it's dimensions. It's always nice to keep some cheap calipers on hand for measurements to order the right thing the first time. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,582 of 10,535
  I used Navships a lot when I first started. It's great practice wire. It's quality MIL spec spc. The problem is that it is only 7 strands and the insulation is pretty stiff/memory prone. The overall result is a pretty stiff cable. Sonically it works great, no complaints. 

Clear heatshrink. Makes it stiffer (that's what she said). It's not for everyone. I'm not a huge fan of it, but some are. 
Well, if you bought a PET that is too small, then that's going to be a super PITA to worm. Since it isn't flexible, I can see why you are so frustrated. There is a list that shows it's dimensions. It's always nice to keep some cheap calipers on hand for measurements to order the right thing the first time. 

Well I ain't wasting $8, do you reckon vaseline would work somehow? I would wash it out with soapy water + let it dry, don't want none of that of vaseline in there

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3,583 of 10,535
Well I ain't wasting $8, do you reckon vaseline would work somehow? I would wash it out with soapy water + let it dry, don't want none of that of vaseline in there

No idea. I've never had to do it. Honestly, I don't think I ever would.
You might be the first pioneer in the field of sleeving wire with vaseline. Let us know how it turns out.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #3,584 of 10,535

You have no idea how much worthless paracord/techflex/shrink tube I have from not measuring... Maybe I'll use it one day... MAYBE.

And with the vaseline... That's hilarious, take photos if you do it.

On another note, has anyone recabled Beyerdynamic DT770 or a similar model left driver to the right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back