DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,996 of 10,535
What about mini-xlr?

Neutrik miniCon has 12 pins similar in size to the iris connector.

Lemo makes some nice small 4 pin connectors too.

Thanks, yes getting LEMO for Y-split as well as some kind of panel mount.

May 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #1,997 of 10,535
What size cable sleeving is best for 4 x 26awg cables then 2x 26awg above the Y-split ?

May 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2,000 of 10,535
  Paracord 550 should be fine for both.

+1.  Four wires (with or without outer sheath) fit fine, and the extra space above the split helps lessen microphonics, at least that's what I experience with my HE-500s.  By comparison, 550 paracord covering four wires for a single run AKG cable tends to be a little microphonic.

May 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,001 of 10,535
When you sleeve it, you can choose to tighten the paracord to fit snug around the cable or to leave it a bit loose and flowing. While fitting it to the cable looks nice and will really accentuate the curvatures of the wire if it's braided, it does add to the microphonics just a bit. I like to leave it a little bit of extra material on cables that will be moving actively. 

May 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #2,002 of 10,535
  When you sleeve it, you can choose to tighten the paracord to fit snug around the cable or to leave it a bit loose and flowing. While fitting it to the cable looks nice and will really accentuate the curvatures of the wire if it's braided, it does add to the microphonics just a bit. I like to leave it a little bit of extra material on cables that will be moving actively. 

Very true.  That's definitely the problem with my AKG cable.  Fortunately it's not bothersome once the music starts playing.

May 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #2,003 of 10,535
Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm a DIY noob and need some help. 

I'd like to build a balanced cable for my 650s and I'm thinking of using Mogami Quad W2534 cable. Can I just leave the cable alone until the Y-split, then just remove the shielding and twist from there? I've attached a drawing to better explain what I mean. 

Thanks!

May 22, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,004 of 10,535
If you untwist it correctly you can untwist 2 twisted pairs from each other and they'll hold a nice twist. Slap some heatshrink on them and it doesn't come out too bad. My issue when I used Canare L-4E6S is that it's heavy and doesn't sit well. IMO it's really too thick to make a good headphone cable. W2893 or W2929 would bother be better choices. 28awg seems small but it's adequate, and you really don't want a cable much bigger than 0.150" as it starts getting really heavy. I have some 0.160" shielded 6x26 and it's about as heavy as you can ignore. My opinion of course but be cautious. 

I would treat the split for aesthetics. I have a micro lathe and I've trimmed some ABS tubing to size and it looks real sharp.

May 22, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,005 of 10,535
  If you untwist it correctly you can untwist 2 twisted pairs from each other and they'll hold a nice twist. Slap some heatshrink on them and it doesn't come out too bad. My issue when I used Canare L-4E6S is that it's heavy and doesn't sit well. IMO it's really too thick to make a good headphone cable. W2893 or W2929 would bother be better choices. 28awg seems small but it's adequate, and you really don't want a cable much bigger than 0.150" as it starts getting really heavy. I have some 0.160" shielded 6x26 and it's about as heavy as you can ignore. My opinion of course but be cautious. 

I would treat the split for aesthetics. I have a micro lathe and I've trimmed some ABS tubing to size and it looks real sharp.

Is there any benefit of hooking up 8-strand W2893 vs 4-strand soundwise ? About to slap together a pair of balanced T50's for my cousin and I have a good quantity of this stuff at hand.

May 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,006 of 10,535

Would you mind sharing a photo of that? I'm having a hard time coming up with a good solution aside from the Viablue splitters.

May 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2,007 of 10,535

Is there any benefit of hooking up 8-strand W2893 vs 4-strand soundwise ? About to slap together a pair of balanced T50's for my cousin and I have a good quantity of this stuff at hand.

I'm not familiar with an 8-strand W2893, it's a 4 conductor served shield cable. However it is a little on the larger side, but it will be fine for a headphone cable.

May 22, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,008 of 10,535

Would you mind sharing a photo of that? I'm having a hard time coming up with a good solution aside from the Viablue splitters.

Sure thing.

This was just some preliminary proof of concept testing with ABS tubing I bought from McMaster so it limited my options in terms of dual exit holes and obviously it's just ABS so it's not super nice or fancy. The sky is the limit with a little bit of work. I was thinking about some of the nice things that could be made for cable split covers out of wood or different metals. Bronze came to mind.

Anyways, this is a friction fit over the 1/4" Techflex Nylon Multifilament on top of Canare L-4E6S, however any size could be used and the hole drilled appropriately. Adhesive wouldn't be a terrible idea to ensure it doesn't come off, however without serious twisting and pulling I can't get these off.

May 22, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #2,009 of 10,535
There are no benefits aside from possible aesthetic ones.

May 22, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #2,010 of 10,535
  I'm not familiar with an 8-strand W2893, it's a 4 conductor served shield cable. However it is a little on the larger side, but it will be fine for a headphone cable.

I just meant braiding that W2893 cable I have (original 4 strands in one mic cable) in an 8-strand braid. But if there is no sonic benefit, I'll just leave it at balanced 4-strand. The W2893 cables are super thin ....28AWG ?

Kamakahah- Thanks also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back