DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,906 of 10,535
Jodgey, I honestly don't like those 45' angle plugs, and I've never seen a 45' angle stand-alone connector. I'd go for the 90' angle ones if I was you.

May 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,907 of 10,535
Hey guys, I've been wanting to get into custom cables since most that I come across--and all that I have--are rather meh~. I'm running pretty much all Monoprice cables at this point, and kind of tired of the cheap looks (but they're good cables otherwise). 

What I'm figuring is this:

Either, Mogami W2799 , or, Canare L-4E5C , since they are lightweight quad cables. Is there a big difference with the quality, or weight, or sleeving? Any better, lightweight cables around the same price?

Thank you for your time. 

May 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,908 of 10,535
Hey all,

I was looking to recable a gaming headset whose cable splits into 2 3pole 3mm plugs. I peeked inside the cups (single entry) and saw that there were 5 connects. I'm guessing there are mic +/- and then drivers L/R with a shared ground? There's also a mute and a volume rocker on the ear cups them selves but I think this is taken care of by the integrated circuit. This is what it looks like inside. Anybody know if I'd be able to just do like a 6 strand braid?

Note: the solder points on the right lead to the cable out of the cups.

May 11, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #1,909 of 10,535
Hey guys, I've been wanting to get into custom cables since most that I come across--and all that I have--are rather meh~. I'm running pretty much all Monoprice cables at this point, and kind of tired of the cheap looks (but they're good cables otherwise). 

What I'm figuring is this:

Either, Mogami W2799 , or, Canare L-4E5C , since they are lightweight quad cables. Is there a big difference with the quality, or weight, or sleeving? Any better, lightweight cables around the same price?

Thank you for your time. 

Both the mogami and canare are good. No better price per foot than the canare. I found the mogami wires to be ever so slightly softer and more flexible. The difference is really negligible.

If you plan to strip them down and sleeve them, then just go with the Canare. Want Mogami but would rather avoid stripping and having kinks in your unsleeved braid? Then check out BTG-audio.

May 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,910 of 10,535
I thought Mogami and Canare were kind of cheap alternatives to buying expensive wire only until I saw how much Hifiman charges for an upgrade Canare cable. A 5meter cable with a 1/4 connector and 2 mini coax costs $112, I about laughed myself off my chair. Talk about mark up.

Just wanted to share that.

I just realized that these cables were the topic of conversation, I wasn't referring to anything anyone said about the cables, I was just browsing through Hifiman accessories and saw the prices. I had to share that.

May 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,911 of 10,535
Canare and Mogami are the choice for professional audio, as is Neutrik. They're cheap because they're so widely used by the industry that production volume has driven the price down nicely. Sure you can buy boutique cable and pay for low production volume and fancy names, or pay for a custom cable.

One thing I've appreciated as an employee at a small company doing semi-custom cable work, it's time consuming and parts add up quickly. 8x BNC(m), 2x 2.1x5.5mm(f), 1x HD15(f) on a 1 foot fan out comes out to $750 or so. 

Things that can be mass produced with automated machinery can be made cheap. Things that have to be hand built will be much more expensive. $112 isn't out of the realm of price after markup for a company to have it hand made.

May 13, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,914 of 10,535
  Hey all,

I was looking to recable a gaming headset whose cable splits into 2 3pole 3mm plugs. I peeked inside the cups (single entry) and saw that there were 5 connects. I'm guessing there are mic +/- and then drivers L/R with a shared ground? There's also a mute and a volume rocker on the ear cups them selves but I think this is taken care of by the integrated circuit. This is what it looks like inside. Anybody know if I'd be able to just do like a 6 strand braid?

A thought...

Use a thin single core shielded cable for mic, then do a 4 wire braid for the headphones around the outside, using the mic cable as a core.

May 13, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #1,915 of 10,535
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'll be stripping and sleeving each wire, so I'll go for the Canare. I've got everything but the cable heading my way at the moment.

May 14, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #1,918 of 10,535
  Hello, don't know if this is right thread, but it is DIY questions ^_^

Can anyone name the plugs in this pic?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjgzWDgwMA==/z/LgoAAOxySoJTRQxz/$_57.JPG

You have come to the right place.  Those are Oyaide plugs.  It looks like both are TRRS connectors (4 connections: L, R, Mic, G)  rather than the usual TRS (3 connections: L, R, G).  The plugs should run you about $20 a pop but are really high quality and look really nice.  For most purposes I think that the standard TRS will be just fine.  There are two different kinds shown in the picture as well.  A strait plug and a right angle one.  

Hope this helps 
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,919 of 10,535
  You have come to the right place.  Those are Oyaide plugs.  It looks like both are TRRS connectors (4 connections: L, R, Mic, G)  rather than the usual TRS (3 connections: L, R, G).  The plugs should run you about $20 a pop but are really high quality and look really nice.  For most purposes I think that the standard TRS will be just fine.  There are two different kinds shown in the picture as well.  A strait plug and a right angle one.  

Hope this helps 
beerchug.gif

It's actually L,R,G,Mic 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back