DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,727 of 10,535
Can anyone recommend a good quality replacement wire & connectors for Steelseries Siberia V2. It's right side had stopped working, checked with multimeter, the connection seems to be broken for the right side. So, I have decided to replace the entire cable (since the default one is very short ~3 feet for the cross platform version). But, at the moment I'm not sure which wire will be compatible with the headset?

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #1,728 of 10,535
  Is it possible to use the paracord 550 Type III for sleeving the following?

(2) 24 awg solid core (to be cotton sleeved)
(2) 28 awg stranded wires

I dont think you are going to be able to put another sleeve of any kind outside of a very large teflon tube over the cotton.  Way too much friction.  Not sure about a braid of 28awg wire.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,729 of 10,535
  I dont think you are going to be able to put another sleeve of any kind outside of a very large teflon tube over the cotton.  Way too much friction.  Not sure about a braid of 28awg wire.

Yeah no way that will fit 4 wires. Just bought this paracord 550 from a local store next to where I had my lunch. Will use this for the pair of wires after the Y split.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,730 of 10,535
I used the Desert Camo version of that same exact paracord (it is the stuff you usually find at Michael's, Joann Fabrics, Walmart and such). I was able to wrap my Canare L-4E6S only after removing the rubber jacket. The odd thing is with a solid color it is darn near impossible. I have a cool gun metal color, and there is no way it will fit. I was able to fish blue up to a certain point. The problem was if I used a small piece of tape on the tip of the cable to prevent the jacket from snagging, it wouldn't even begin to go in the solid color 550, but it went through the camo colors just fine. The L-4E6S is rated at 21AWG. Take a small piece of your cable, strip the rubber jacket off and see if you can fish on the paracord.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,731 of 10,535
I need some clarification on something - I have an extra stock HiFiMan silver cable, but after selling my HE-500's I have no use for it. I upgraded to LCD-2's, with their comparatively awful stock cable. 

My question is: can I just hack off the HiFiMan terminators can replace them with mini xlr plugs to use them with my LCD-2's?

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,733 of 10,535
I need some clarification on something - I have an extra stock HiFiMan silver cable, but after selling my HE-500's I have no use for it. I upgraded to LCD-2's, with their comparatively awful stock cable. 

My question is: can I just hack off the HiFiMan terminators can replace them with mini xlr plugs to use them with my LCD-2's?
You sure can!

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,734 of 10,535
If I want to use the paracord 550 sleeved cable over the ear, what soft tubing should I get to cover the paracord (for over the ear portion) so it won't get dirty from frequently contacting the ear skins?

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,735 of 10,535
Paracord 550 over ear?... :eek:

1/4" beverage or gas line would probably do the trick.

And this is mien "Ear Hawser". :D

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,738 of 10,535
Hello, new to the forum and i am thinking of making my own cable. I have a couple question that maybe someone can answer.
The cable is for a modded fostex t50rp with duel mini xlr.

First i see some companies make their cables with 8 strands, so do they just solder 2 cables to each pin?
Second can you use two types of wire in a cable, one silver the other copper?

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,739 of 10,535
  Hello, new to the forum and i am thinking of making my own cable. I have a couple question that maybe someone can answer.
The cable is for a modded fostex t50rp with duel mini xlr.

First i see some companies make their cables with 8 strands, so do they just solder 2 cables to each pin?
Second can you use two types of wire in a cable, one silver the other copper?

So if it is 8 strands total, than it would be soldering 1 wire per pin as each side I assume would have 4 pins.  If it is 8 wires per side than yes it is 2 wires per pin.  Technically though you only need 4 cables total, meaning 2 per side.  Secondly yes you can use copper and silver but I suggest you use the same kind of wire for signal or positive (both L and R)  and if you want you can use a different wire for ground or negative (again both L and R should be the same as well).

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,740 of 10,535
If I want to use the paracord 550 sleeved cable over the ear, what soft tubing should I get to cover the paracord (for over the ear portion) so it won't get dirty from frequently contacting the ear skins?

Heat shrink would be easiest. I also suggeste adding a length of paperclip or similar flexible metal inside. That will allow you to mold it, as desired, to your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back