DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 13, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #8,761 of 10,535
Would anyone happen to know where I can buy decent silver plated copper wire in the Uk, I have been using stripped down Van Damme cable
but find it a bit microphonic and fancy a change, I'm also trying to find a good supplier for the headphone end connectors ie 2.5mm jacks for
HD700s and the connectors for the HD800 (sorry I don't know what they are called), I don't mind buying from China but the delivery is a bit too
long.
Thanks in advance

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #8,762 of 10,535
Would anyone happen to know where I can buy decent silver plated copper wire in the Uk, I have been using stripped down Van Damme cable
but find it a bit microphonic and fancy a change, I'm also trying to find a good supplier for the headphone end connectors ie 2.5mm jacks for
HD700s and the connectors for the HD800 (sorry I don't know what they are called), I don't mind buying from China but the delivery is a bit too
long.
Thanks in advance
Toxic Cables?
https://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/product-category/diy-parts-and-wires/

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #8,764 of 10,535
Apr 21, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #8,767 of 10,535
Could someone please explain why it is a 2.5mm MONO jack used for the headphone end of the like of the Sennheiser HD700 and M1060 rather than
a STEREO jack (3 pole) and would it matter to use a 3 pole, thank you

You only need 2 conductors for each channel, hence a mono jack is sufficient.
I'm not sure if a 3-pole would physically fit inside, and even if it did, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Where the TRS plug has the (R) (which would not have any wire connected to it), the mono plug has the (-). Whether or not this matters depends on the socket construction I guess.

Either way, mono plugs are pretty easy to find and not too expensive. I bought 2 kinds for my HD700 at the time, one from plussoundaudio and one from norne audio

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #8,769 of 10,535
About the strings inside each core:
which one is better, one with lot of big amount (20+) of strings or low amount (7) {both having the same size}
CqeFSuJ.jpg

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #8,770 of 10,535
About the strings inside each core:
which one is better, one with lot of big amount (20+) of strings or low amount (7) {both having the same size}
CqeFSuJ.jpg
From what I’ve learned, the strings are there to help the whole cable feel round. There is no electronic purpose for the strings.

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #8,771 of 10,535
Yes strings are for shaping the cable. That said, in high end cables the strings are also used to ensure uniformity of spacing of each twisted conductor. With consistent windings and spacings, you get better noise rejection.

Doubt anyone could hear the difference though.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #8,775 of 10,535
I don't but I have a cable that I purchased on ebay and the connections have been glued and I need to open them but they won't budge
Often hot glue gun glue. Try using a blow dryer or heat gun to heat it up. Be careful, as it will be hot. Maybe use gloves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back