DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 15, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #8,252 of 10,535
braided cables with 4 pin mini xlr.jpg Here are some cables I am doing for a friend. These will be one foot pig tails that will fit onto two different headphone cables. When completed he can switch from 3.5 mm to 1/4 inch trs, to 4 pin male xlr cable (balanced audio) without unplugging the base cable from his headphone cups, saving wear and tear on those connectors.

May 16, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #8,253 of 10,535
After looking around for a cable I decided to make my own, it be cheaper and I can do whatever I want... I'm looking for 4Pin XLR connector for my oppo Ha 1 and then I don't know with what I can join cable from left and right ear into single cable. Can I get what I need somewhere in UK? I guess I need a solder as well. ^^ Uhm I can use a speaker cable right?

Neutrik 4-pin XLR plugs are easy to find in the UK on eBay. Cable wise, as you are in the UK I would advise you go for Van Damme Miniature starquad, also available on eBay.

Y-splitters are harder to find in the right sizes, I still haven't found good ones that are good for full size cables apart from Viablue which can be quite big. Just did a search and I might try these in future.

HD6xx connectors, I have used these but they take around 2-3 weeks to arrive from China. If you want a UK supplier, here, but they are harder to solder.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #8,255 of 10,535
You do not need to split the shield if you already have a hot and a ground. Generally speaking you should not attach a shield at both ends of a cable if there is already a ground, this will make a current loop that can act like antenna, if connected at all, connect it only at the source end.

May 17, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #8,256 of 10,535
This may be a dumb question but has anyone ever made an IEM cable that is spiraled prior to the splitter? Not sure why but I was thinking this would look interesting visually (though perhaps it's useless functionally) but I can't recall seeing something like that.

May 18, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #8,257 of 10,535
You do not need to split the shield if you already have a hot and a ground. Generally speaking you should not attach a shield at both ends of a cable if there is already a ground, this will make a current loop that can act like antenna, if connected at all, connect it only at the source end.

Not at both ends, what I meant was, since I am doing a 4 pin XLR. There are 2 grounds at source, I can't figure if it would be a good or a bad idea to split it. :D

May 18, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #8,258 of 10,535
I am not sure I follow what you are saying, a four pin xlr uses two grounds. Going into the headphones if you have dual entry, you use two grounds there as well, one on each side. If you are using star quad there are four wires plus a shield, it is that braid that I was talking about only attaching on one end.

May 18, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #8,260 of 10,535
Both and both on headphones

May 18, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #8,262 of 10,535
You need not use or split the shield. Cut it off, twist each pair going to headphone cups.

May 18, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #8,264 of 10,535
Hey so... I am a hefty noob I have built one cable. First off where can I buy high quality wire thats not super expensive? Or should I buy starquad mic cables from canrae, mogami or vandamme? I need to make a he 4xx also known as he400i cable. So my other issue is where to buy 2.5m connectors?
Also should I braid it? or no? Like litz and paracord?

Thx- Ian

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #8,265 of 10,535
I see, so basically it doesn't matter and it doesn't help much?
It helps but as soon as you split your wires at the Y you cannot maintain a proper shield geometry so off it goes.

Regardless, you have additional shielding by twisting the wires above the Y. It’s the best you can get without making a bulky convoluted mess. Given only about a foot or so isn’t using the additional faraday shield above the Y you have very little possibility of picking up a lot of EMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back