DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 28, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #6,616 of 10,535
I will post details if it works out, the cable part is not too bad provided I find paracord whose pattern makes it look like it was made in the 20's.

I told a salesperson what I was going to do with only the drivers for a specific brand of headphones and he told me I would be voiding the warranty. I kind of knew that lol. Once they are done I will try to get one or two local guys who are on this site to give you their opinion too. It is hard to stay objective when you do something yourself and you are hoping for good results.

And tempus certainly does fugit. 

Brown or tan paracord would look like an old lamp cord I think.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #6,617 of 10,535
Brown or tan paracord would look like an old lamp cord I think.

That could work and I have several brown choices. The headphones I will mod came with black and white. Black with a small white stripe might resemble old cordage as well. The headphones are pretty rugged with an aviator look to them. Dark brown with a small pattern could work.

I have found some twisted brown wire all the same color used in fixtures meant to look old, I can do a four wire braid in all brown that should look pretty reasonable.

You are one of the folks I would let test them. It would seem unrealistic if having modded them I said omg these are fantastic lol. It is best to eliminate bias.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #6,618 of 10,535
That could work and I have several brown choices. The headphones I will mod came with black and white. Black with a small white stripe might resemble old cordage as well. The headphones are pretty rugged with an aviator look to them. Dark brown with a small pattern could work.

I have found some twisted brown wire all the same color used in fixtures meant to look old, I can do a four wire braid in all brown that should look pretty reasonable.

You are one of the folks I would let test them. It would seem unrealistic if having modded them I said omg these are fantastic lol. It is best to eliminate bias.

I'll definitely test them out for you. Looking forward to it.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #6,619 of 10,535

This is how the new driver fits the opening of the headphones I am modding. I will probably spend more time getting the sound the way I want it and reinstalling the pads than anything else. The driver fits as though it was made for the headphones. Sometimes you can just eyeball something and know it is realistic lol.  I will be building more cables for these of course and wiring the new drivers for hook up to the jacks so I should be staying within the framework of this thread.
Quote:

I'll definitely test them out for you. Looking forward to it.

If anyone needs info on building a set of cables for CHC Silverado headphones I can help. Also I really like their design of using stereo 3.5 mm jacks for each channel. The parts are so accessible.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #6,620 of 10,535
It finally happened, I have to find some 2.5 mm mono connectors (plugs) for OPPO PM-1 headphones and it looks as if most all come from China,( as does OPPO I believe). Anyone found any connectors they trust that can be purchased fairly quickly here in the states? I prefer solder lugs but I doubt that is going to happen, sigh.

thanks

Tom

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #6,621 of 10,535
  It finally happened, I have to find some 2.5 mm mono connectors (plugs) for OPPO PM-1 headphones and it looks as if most all come from China,( as does OPPO I believe). Anyone found any connectors they trust that can be purchased fairly quickly here in the states? I prefer solder lugs but I doubt that is going to happen, sigh.

thanks

Tom

haha

:)

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/connectors.html

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #6,622 of 10,535

thanks

Tom
There is Eidolic. No lugs but very good quality and light. Norne and Double Helix carry them.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #6,623 of 10,535
There is Eidolic. No lugs but very good quality and light. Norne and Double Helix carry them.

Yeah I have seen Eidotic, I will check out the others thanks.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #6,624 of 10,535

haha

Oh boy cryo treated eh?    The price is fairly reasonable for retail, I need to find a source for these that does not take three weeks to deliver lol.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #6,625 of 10,535

haha

Oh boy cryo treated eh?    The price is fairly reasonable for retail, I need to find a source for these that does not take three weeks to deliver lol.

Cryo treated means "the cool" is baked in!

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #6,626 of 10,535
I have a pair of the Eidolics if you need them now.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #6,627 of 10,535
I have a few days so no biggy. I have to stop saying yes to people.
Thank you for the kind offer though.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #6,628 of 10,535
I have a few days so no biggy. I have to stop saying yes to people.
Thank you for the kind offer though.
That's cool but if you need them I can send them out.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #6,629 of 10,535
ok I will get you my address early tomorrow. Let me know what you need for them and I am good for it. You are closer than ordering elsewhere.

Thanks again

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back