DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 23, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #6,571 of 10,535

Can you tell us the strand count, and width of the conductor (OD of the full wire, including insulation)?

I get about 1.25 mm, strand count is 41/40, I did not have the number in front of me the other day as I said so I had the stranding count wrong. (my memory fails me at times.)

I tried a sample a while back and liked it but I want to make another cable of a specific length that I can compare to some of my baseline cables and get a friend of mine to check it out. Her hearing is exceptional and I did not have a large enough quantity of this around the last time I did comparative testing.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #6,572 of 10,535
thanks @Paladin79 

I had a very reputable set of ears listen to the 4 strand cable made from the wire you sent me and compared to the 8 strand mogami cable I made too, and he felt the cable from the wire you sent was a little better, but not as good as the stock cable. In this case the headphones were the PMx2 with the stock Oppo cable.

I had a few others listen, and no one else was able to detect a difference. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #6,573 of 10,535
  thanks @Paladin79 

I had a very reputable set of ears listen to the 4 strand cable made from the wire you sent me and compared to the 8 strand mogami cable I made too, and he felt the cable from the wire you sent was a little better, but not as good as the stock cable. In this case the headphones were the PMx2 with the stock Oppo cable.

I could be dead wrong about this but I believe when you pay dearly for a set of headphones most manufacturers are going to use some very good wire. I helped a friend with a stock pair of HD 650's and it sure looked like they were using litz wire. I think on the Massdrop version they changed the cable but don't quote me on that. Companies like Sennheiser, Oppo, and Beyerdynamic are bound to do a lot of testing to maximize the combination of cable and headphones. Headphones $200 down are where I can really tell a difference when I make substitutions but I have a feeling that is true for a lot of people.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #6,574 of 10,535

thanks @Paladin79 

I could be dead wrong about this but I believe when you pay dearly for a set of headphones most manufacturers are going to use some very good wire. I helped a friend with a stock pair of HD 650's and it sure looked like they were using litz wire. I think on the Massdrop version they changed the cable but don't quote me on that. Companies like Sennheiser, Oppo, and Beyerdynamic are bound to do a lot of testing to maximize the combination of cable and headphones. Headphones $200 down are where I can really tell a difference when I make substitutions but I have a feeling that is true for a lot of people.

heh heh, the stock cable for the HD650 is a whooping $10.99

Out of stock now, but is supposed to be in by the end of the month. 

From what I heard, the MD issue the cable length, not the quality, but I could be wrong there.

Getting the stock cable and re-terminating to balanced is really easy.

$500 headphone (list) and an $11 cable. That's probably how it should be.  

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #6,575 of 10,535

heh heh, the stock cable for the HD650 is a whooping $10.99

Out of stock now, but is supposed to be in by the end of the month. 

From what I heard, the MD issue the cable length, not the quality, but I could be wrong there.

Getting the stock cable and re-terminating to balanced is really easy.

$500 headphone (list) and an $11 cable. That's probably how it should be.  

You are probably correct on all counts and some things are subjective. I merely said what the cable looked like when I cut it and soldered it. They buy in volume. I have a feeling just the connectors would cost us $10.00 or so. I saw where a few people had replaced the Massdrop cable with what they said was higher quality and they probably just figured since they paid $150 it had to be better. OCC is pricey and Cardas is as well, personally the MrSpeakers Dum cable is probably closer to my approach. Now how many people have replaced the HD 650 with another cable and said OMG this is so much better!!!!  I have a feeling their stock cable is fairly decent no matter what price. The CHC Silverado's I will modify had a cable that did not last and I could sure tell a big difference with other cables I used but those were Chinese made headphones with undoubtedly a Chinese cable.

Sennheiser is to be commended on that price. Ever gone back to a manufacturer for a mass produced cable and they want $25, or $250 or more. I deal with that on a daily basis. I just did an accordion cable for a guy where the factory wanted $150 for a freaking Midi cable equivalent. We made him one for $20 and he was ecstatic. I had his old cable and it was nothing special.

Are there headphones $1,000 up where they sell you $11.00 cables?  Hd 650's can be $315 or so. MrSpeakers does not have real expensive cables come to think of it, at least the base cable is not. Dum cable maybe $150, I forget.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #6,576 of 10,535
I'm going to be making a custom cable for my HD650s here soon. I have all the parts coming in this week or early next week. Using canare quad sleeved in 275 paracord, black and grey. Should look similar to my Impact Audio cable but a little thicker and terminated in rean mini xlr 4 pole male. Then I'll make a mini 4 pole female to 6.5mm trs male, and another mini 4 pole to neutrik 4 pole XLR, essentially copying Paladin79's setup for his headphone cables.

I kind of want to open up my SHP9500s and see if I can make them balanced, then make a cable for them.

Any links to a very small 3.5mm trrs jack that would fit inside a headphone?

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,577 of 10,535
Mar 23, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #6,579 of 10,535
Just wanted to say thanks to the others on this thread for the advice and inspiration. I just finished my first DIY cable!

Cable is Mogami W2534 (a little stiff, but I liked the color), Amphenol ACPS-GN-AU on the big end, 2.5mm plugs are #008452 from the Kenable eBay store. The slider is just a barrel from a third 2.5mm plug. Total cost ~$24.

Thanks again!

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #6,580 of 10,535
Just wanted to say thanks to the others on this thread for the advice and inspiration. I just finished my first DIY cable!

Cable is Mogami W2534 (a little stiff, but I liked the color), Amphenol ACPS-GN-AU on the big end, 2.5mm plugs are #008452 from the Kenable eBay store. The slider is just a barrel from a third 2.5mm plug. Total cost ~$24.

Thanks again!

Looks really sweet. Give your self a good pat on the back great job.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #6,581 of 10,535
Looks awesome. I like the look of the bare mogami quad!

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #6,582 of 10,535

Thanks again!

Nice uniform braids. I like Neutrik connectors but am and leaning toward Amphenol more lately. Both have a very good system to grasp the cable.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #6,583 of 10,535
If there is anyone else wondering about how to deal with braid on coaxial cables I am in the middle of building a large amount of audio cables with TS 1/4 inch, TS 3.5 mm, and TRS 3.5 mm this weekend. Using a high end Belden HD/SDI miniature 75 ohm cable. It would be easy enough to stop and snap a couple photos. Once you go through a few hundred you can get pretty good at judging all cable cut distances.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #6,585 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back