DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #406 of 10,535
i've been thinking about making some cables for myself, I kinda poked around this thread but what are some good places to get some cable? I've used some star quad before but i'd like to go for a stranded wire look.   thanks!

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #407 of 10,535
  i've been thinking about making some cables for myself, I kinda poked around this thread but what are some good places to get some cable? I've used some star quad before but i'd like to go for a stranded wire look.   thanks!

You can use star quad like Canare or Mogami and just strip off the outer sheathing and copper shield to use the individual strands inside.  That's all I've done in the past (and with my current unfinished projects).

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #408 of 10,535

You could also look at some wire like this:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/index1/Litz-Wire-Supplier.html

Scroll down to 
Part # 220/44-Litz-10 --- 220/44 Litz Wire Silk Served Per 10 ft. Price $5.25 ​

Never used it, but I've seen it recommended.

Anybody ever used anything like this?

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #409 of 10,535
You'd need a solder pot for that.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #410 of 10,535
I've recently located 550 paracord at the following locations in the U.S.

- Walmart

- Lowe's 

However, the color selection is minimal.  Black is the most common as that's all Lowe's has.  50 feet is about $7.00.  Walmart had black and another variant with a reflective stripe through it -- not really necessary unless you wear your custom headphones to run.  But, it's good to know there are some local sources if you're in a pinch to get a cable finished.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #411 of 10,535
thanks guys for the recommendations!  i'll check them out and see what I can find
atsmile.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #413 of 10,535
  I've recently located 550 paracord at the following locations in the U.S.

- Walmart

- Lowe's 

However, the color selection is minimal.  Black is the most common as that's all Lowe's has.  50 feet is about $7.00.  Walmart had black and another variant with a reflective stripe through it -- not really necessary unless you wear your custom headphones to run.  But, it's good to know there are some local sources if you're in a pinch to get a cable finished.

The craft stores Hobby Lobby (550) and Michael's (Type 1, apparently though I have not confirmed this myself) also carry it.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #414 of 10,535
Just got in some Nucleotide wire from DHC, and some of their 3/8" and 1/8" black sleeving. The wire is very nice looking, and I'm thinking about leaving it bare. If I do, what's the best way to treat the 4-to-2 split about a foot before the ear cups?

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #415 of 10,535
  Just got in some Nucleotide wire from DHC, and some of their 3/8" and 1/8" black sleeving. The wire is very nice looking, and I'm thinking about leaving it bare. If I do, what's the best way to treat the 4-to-2 split about a foot before the ear cups?

Naked DHC is definitely nice.  Just a small piece of heatshrink will keep it discreet and stable.  You could also use an extra connector barrel if you have one that fits for some structure.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #420 of 10,535
And possibly first aid if you forget how long they stay hot after turning them off.  

I did this yesterday reaching over my pot for my tweezers:

OUCH!

I've come close to doing that a time or two, which is why I no longer keep anything back behind the pot. Everything's either in front of it or to the side.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back