DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 24, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,721 of 10,535
Not sure if this has been asked, I looked through about a 100 pages and didnt see an answer. How much length do you use when doing a four wire braid? I would like to know how much wire I need to cut to get the desired length. Say I want a 6 foot length as the end result, using canare L-4E5C in a 4 wire braid, what would be the required length before braiding? Do I need to cut say 10 feet of wire? Will I loose a few feet of length at the end result?

- Garrett
Already asked and answered. :) Here's a quote...

Sub'd, y'all.

DHC is selling their Nucleotide 24 ga. OCC copper/clear teflon for $1.99. I'm thinking about braiding that stuff nekid. What's the rule of thumb for estimating how much extra length you need when you do a four wire braid? I'm shooting for a 10' finished length.

Thx 

Depends on the AWG and how tight/loose you braid. I tend to leave myself about 6 inches for every 5 feet to compensate for the braiding and mistakes. Though that is always more than I need.

I do a "natural" feeling braid. I Try to go with how it feels while doing my best to avoid tightening or loosening too much. Usually you can feel when it is doing one or another followed by seeing it after a couple of passes.

So for 10 feet I would recommend between 6 inches and a foot depending on how confident you feel. . Should be plenty.

Edit: I should give a specific example. Just did a 5 foot cable with 26awg. Lost about 1.5inches off the length. But again, YMMV.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3,724 of 10,535
  Not sure if this has been asked, I looked through about a 100 pages and didnt see an answer. How much length do you use when doing a four wire braid? I would like to know how much wire I need to cut to get the desired length. Say I want a 6 foot length as the end result, using canare L-4E5C in a 4 wire braid, what would be the required length before braiding? Do I need to cut say 10 feet of wire? Will I loose a few feet of length at the end result?

- Garrett

Oh Boy, You waited close to 10 years to post your very first query?......Lot of patience in you.
popcorn.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #3,725 of 10,535
Already asked and answered.
smily_headphones1.gif
Here's a quote...

I must have not used the correct search terms with in the post. Like I said I only read about a 100 pages worth from the current page back and have not reached back to 2013 yet. Thanks for the quoted post.

Oh Boy, You waited close to 10 years to post your very first query?......Lot of patience in you.
popcorn.gif

I was not sure if anyone would catch that. I usually just read up on the posts and search the forum for the answers I need which usually have already been answered. In this case the question I have asked was already answered but I guess I did not do a good enough search for it. Must have been using the wrong search term.

- Garrett

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #3,726 of 10,535
Originally Posted by garrettwp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was not sure if anyone would catch that. I usually just read up on the posts and search the forum for the answers I need which usually have already been answered. In this case the question I have asked was already answered but I guess I did not do a good enough search for it. Must have been using the wrong search term.

- Garrett

I understood......not a problem....

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,733 of 10,535

Yes or clear silver, where can I get 26awg with lots of strands?

As I post, on Allliexpress or USA: http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/wires.html

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-32ft-0-12mm2-26AWG-HIGH-PURITY-SILVER-OCC-COPPER-TEFLON-PTFE-WIRE-AUDIO-/151624148736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234d80e700

I like this, very flexible and glassy looking clear cable. But cost is as good as plussound

http://www.iccfl.com/product_info.php?cPath=211_214&products_id=4966&osCsid=v63l5ok3l0ac2dgknjcrtk2l85

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3,735 of 10,535
I have also used this one, cheap but very stiff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181598877759?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=480556259675&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back