DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #3,661 of 10,535
dear all, 
I've just received some viablue stuff (jewelry, indeed 
biggrin.gif
) to make a pair of cable with mmcx connectors (for dje, at first).
Have you ever seen something like this?

As you can see, the male has a body narrower than the shure' one (or westone and/or fidue)

which has a bigger housing, as well.

any advice will be greatly appreciated

Marco

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,662 of 10,535
Question, does the shield in the Mogami 2893 serve a purpose if I'm making a 3.5mm cable? Can I just take the wires out and braid them/put techflex over them or is there an advantage to leaving them in the cable?

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3,663 of 10,535
Unless you're doing really long runs, you don't need the shielding. Taking it out is what most seem to do. Techflex should provide some shielding as well.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3,665 of 10,535
550 paracord usually fits one strand, so you'd sleeve each strand first, then braid those together. Same thing with Techflex if it's small - though most use it as the very outside layer (so you'd braid the wires together (in paracord or not) and then put that through the flex).

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,667 of 10,535
  550 paracord should fit 3 26awg wires no problem... same with 1/8" techflex, do I need to braid these or can I just feed them through?

You don't need to braid them.  I've fed four Mogami W2799 wires (stripped of sheath and shield) through 550 paracord (from Paracord Planet, if that makes a difference).  If you wanted a braided cable, you could use a smaller gauge paracord for each wire, then braid those.  FWIW, I made a three-strand braid using the aforementioned Mogami and 95 lbs paracord and it's a little stiffer than I'd like.  I tried to keep the paracord as loose as possible, but something like 275 might have worked better... or not, if the stiffness is inherent in the wires and their coating.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,668 of 10,535

You don't need to braid them.  I've fed four Mogami W2799 wires (stripped of sheath and shield) through 550 paracord (from Paracord Planet, if that makes a difference).  If you wanted a braided cable, you could use a smaller gauge paracord for each wire, then braid those.  FWIW, I made a three-strand braid using the aforementioned Mogami and 95 lbs paracord and it's a little stiffer than I'd like.  I tried to keep the paracord as loose as possible, but something like 275 might have worked better... or not, if the stiffness is inherent in the wires and their coating.

That's what I thought, I guess I'll feed 3 Mogami 2893 through the 550 paracord I have.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3,672 of 10,535
Hi

I'm ordering some new headphones soon...just the regular Superlux 668B's, and want to make my own cable to go from my computer to the headphones.

I was looking at Canare cable, then read about Mogami cables. I guess they have the same "gooey-ness" since they're both x-linked polyethylene? 

1) Which Mogami cable is recommended for use with regular headphone jacks? I need a 3.5mm male on one end and a 3.5mm female on the other.

2) Which jacks would you recommend?

I was also wondering if it was possible to use one cable, and have 4 plugs on one wire, 1 male/1 female for a mic input, and 1 male/1 female for the headphones themselves...I am going to be using an external mic and was thinking about not running 2 separate wires.

Thanks,
Elliott

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #3,673 of 10,535
I would go with Mogami 2983 and take the wires out of that, they're 26awg. You technically can leave the cables inside and just solder 2 to ground, but part of the fun is taking them out and braiding them or putting paracord/techflex over them. For 3.5mm adapters I would use a Neutrik adapter or if you want to go fancier you could use a Pailiccs adapter. As far at the female jack I'm not sure if you need one that solders on but if so this is a good one 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ML4A2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_MD8avb0D9NM5X

If you just need the adapter I think Neutrik also makes female 3.5mm

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #3,674 of 10,535
Anyone ever use navships silver plated 24awg 19 strand to make a 3.5mm cable? If so how is it?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=381106252116

24 AWG Silver Teflon Wire Assortment 50 feet 19 strand

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #3,675 of 10,535
Hey thanks so much for your help. I sent you a private message but I got a limit of 2 so I'm not sure you got it or not.

I would go with Mogami 2983 and take the wires out of that, they're 26awg. You technically can leave the cables inside and just solder 2 to ground, but part of the fun is taking them out and braiding them or putting paracord/techflex over them. For 3.5mm adapters I would use a Neutrik adapter or if you want to go fancier you could use a Pailiccs adapter. As far at the female jack I'm not sure if you need one that solders on but if so this is a good one 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ML4A2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_MD8avb0D9NM5X

If you just need the adapter I think Neutrik also makes female 3.5mm

I think I'm looking finally at the Mogami 2534 because I like a thicker wire better! I think I will also leave the sheathing on the wire because I like how it looks.

I really like this:

http://i.imgur.com/4IMpYym.jpg

Would you say that's the 2534 or 2983? It looks quick thick actually now that I'm looking at it...

Right now I have Icemat Siberia V2's and the wire is quite thin...and it bugs me lol.

When looking at the paracord/techflex options, what do you usually choose for the sizing? Like I saw the 2534 is 6mm in diameter, so does that mean I need a sheathing that is 6mm, or should I go for something smaller so it's tighter?

And how do the plugs work for cable sizes? Do I need to choose different adapters if I go with the 2534 vs the 2983? How do I know which adapters fit which cables?

As for that female connector you linked, I actually need one that will be like in the picture I showed above. Basically I'm gonna make a cable with a female on one end and a male on the other exactly as shown in the pic. The headphones I'm getting you can see here:

http://headphonescout.com/wp-content/uploads/superlux_hd668b/18-superlux-hd668b.jpg

As you can see they have a male 3.5mm jack sticking out of them, so I need one end of my cable to be a female so they can connect together.

Thanks for the help!
Elliott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back