DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #3,526 of 10,535
Make sense... I will stick with Mogami for my DYI, they are really easy to work with.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #3,527 of 10,535
Hey,
  I am not sure if this is the right thread but I want to know which product is this and where to get it :-  
It's a moldable silicon mould use to fix things etc.But I can't read the name of the product.Can anyone help me ?

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #3,528 of 10,535
  Hey,
  I am not sure if this is the right thread but I want to know which product is this and where to get it :-  
It's a moldable silicon mould use to fix things etc.But I can't read the name of the product.Can anyone help me ?

Can't read Kanji, but based on your description, I'd say it's some kind of putty. If you google, you gotta use additional word, like 'putty for repairing', or 'silicone putty' or something. Simply 'putty' will give you weird hits.

I think one that's often used for handycraft is Sugru (brand), just google it. Putty for home repairs smells awful, it's barf quality smell, literally....

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3,530 of 10,535
  @creatip I know about Sugru but it will be very expensive to import it to India so I wanted a cheaper alternative.Do you have anything else in mind ?

Home depo like Ace also got putty like that for home repairs. Something like loctite or 3M. It's smelly when being fixed, might wanna use a mask (I mean it, based on experience), but odorless when it's harden. But may not be ideal for skin contacts, so depends on the application. 

Ebay is always a good option.

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #3,531 of 10,535
  Hey,

The brand of the putty you posted is "Dufix", but I found the exact same packaging made by "Loctite" 

http://www.henkel-ac.jp/products/dph-481.html

Loctite sells repair putty on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-431348-2-Ounce-Purpose-Repair/dp/B000BOB8P6

Pretty sure that is the same stuff

I also found the exact same stuff on Amazon.jp. Not sure how the ordering process works, or if you can even do it.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/LOCTITE-%E3%83%AD%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88-%E5%A4%9A%E7%94%A8%E9%80%94%E8%A3%9C%E4%BF%AE%E3%83%91%E3%83%86-48g-DHP-481/dp/B002YMNJQY

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,532 of 10,535
For my next cable, I am searching for "transparent glossy finish wire", something like one in below pic. Not able to find one, please suggest. It can be speaker wire or others, anything between 22 AWG till 26AWG, but needs to be transparent glossy finish.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #3,533 of 10,535
Hey guys,

I have a DIY USB Type A to Type B cable that came with a DAC I purchased couple of years back. It is a funny make. It uses 2 coaxial cables for D- and D+. A silver platted conductor for POWER and the copper braids of the coaxial cables twisted and positioned in the GND positions. Any ideas what size of coaxial cables I should be going for if I want to replicate it? I can't find a decent shop to browse cables so I have to order online. Not knowing the size troubles is as I am most certain to fail. I cant really measure it because they have excessive solder on the connectors.

I think I've found silver platted conductor and it should be fairly easy to get small coaxial cables, but still size is troubling me.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #3,534 of 10,535
Hi. I'm looking into making my own cables to save time and money. I really want to buy the top range silver widow cable from toxic cables but I don't want to wait 3 months for them to arrive.
I'm currently looking into which raw materials I want to use and I've heard that silver improves high frequencies, gold improves low frequencies, and copper is somewhere in the middle.
What would happen if I wound 3 strands of wire together consisting of silver, copper, and gold and used it for my audio wire? Is it worth trying? Has it been done before? Or will the electricity just take the path of least resistance and ignore the copper and gold?

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #3,535 of 10,535
You'll lose any 'benefit' of higher end cables if you mix them (it'll act as one strand according to parallel impedances, and it's not like a bypass capacitor situation because it's a linear device)... multiple strands means that you get a lower impedance at least, which itself doesn't really matter either. I don't believe in silver vs. copper. vs. gold either, and gold is a horrendous idea for a cable - expensive, and copper is much better. So no, I wouldn't say a cable like that is worth it at all unless it's for purely cosmetic reasons.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,539 of 10,535
Well a lot of people have said that gold improves bass if you add a bit of it in the cable.
I know people make copper silver hybrid cables and say it is an improvement over just silver or copper alone. Why not all 3 metals in this case?

People say a lot of things on the Internet. I invite you to Google a few terms: "conductance", "resistance", and "impedance". You can also Google what an electrical conductor like wire is and how the terms above relate to it.

The idea of someone saying that gold will improve bass, generally, on whatever you put it on is silly. Very silly. Materials don't work like that in audio. It sure does a good job at marketing you more expensive materials though.
Lots of snake oil and bogus claims when it comes to cable magic. I recommend building some different kinds yourself and that way you can decide what you believe, whatever that my be - magic or science.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #3,540 of 10,535
Science aside, I've seen countless people say the same stuff all over the internet from unrelated sources by experienced people and newbies alike. I've seen people claim silver improved the high frequencies even before they knew it was "supposed" to do that. If enough people claim the same thing about what they are hearing I'm inclined to believe it.
It's not like all these dudes are trying to believe in cable magic, some of them try to disprove it and still come out saying cables do make a difference.
If it was truly snake oil I'd imagine a great variation in peoples statements about different materials used in their wires, but they all make the same statements about their qualities in detail. HMMMMMMMMMM....sounds suspiciously like they might be telling the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back