DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,941 of 10,535
Can anyone help me out and link me a really narrow 3.5mm TRS connector that would fit into an M100? Something close to this size shipping from the US. I can find some that will work from China, but who has time to wait that long? I'd appreciate it, I can't seem to find anything.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #2,942 of 10,535
Can anyone help me out and link me a really narrow 3.5mm TRS connector that would fit into an M100? Something close to this size shipping from the US. I can find some that will work from China, but who has time to wait that long? I'd appreciate it, I can't seem to find anything.

I was in the same bind not that long ago building a cable for another member. I never ended up finding one in the USA. Ordered a few from overseas.
Think I still have an extra or two hanging around in the materials box if you'd like me to check.

I can also break out the calipers if you know the diameter you need. I'll double check.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2,943 of 10,535

Found this USA ebay seller that got something similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FROM-USA-2-Purple-Stereo-AV-Male-1-8-3-5mm-TRRS-4Pole-Plug-Jack-Audio-connector-/351243080581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c7b81385

Problem is, all I could see in his store that are about the same size (slim) are all 4 poles. Might want to message him, to see if he got the 3 poles type. I know there's a 3 poles version, because I've seen it.

My question though, how do you solder those type of contacts properly? I've done a few of Pallics plugs, successfully, but ended up melting the surrounding plastic, which of course ended up looking like crap....

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,944 of 10,535
  Help. I recently damaged my HE-500 cable. One of the cables on the right side came free. I tried to slot it back in the hole but no dice. I even tried to remove some expose more of the wire but all that did was shorten the length. I have some extra connectors. Can some one guide me or show me a tutorial how to open them up (or whatever) so I can fix it (I don't want to buy new cables).

Not sure I understand what you really meant/asking, but I got a documentation of recabling my HE-400: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222167-diy-hifiman-headphone-recabling-with-braided-strands-image-heavy/

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,945 of 10,535

Can you give me the link to the China supplier thanks

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,946 of 10,535

Not sure I understand what you really meant/asking, but I got a documentation of recabling my HE-400: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222167-diy-hifiman-headphone-recabling-with-braided-strands-image-heavy/

That's a great guide you put together.  Where were you when I was first starting on my HiFiMAN DIY journey?! 
wink.gif
  Bookmarked for future reference.

And LOL at that comment about selling on Head-Fi 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #2,947 of 10,535
Dec 17, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #2,948 of 10,535

Can you give me the link to the China supplier thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281243011459?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Found this USA ebay seller that got something similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FROM-USA-2-Purple-Stereo-AV-Male-1-8-3-5mm-TRRS-4Pole-Plug-Jack-Audio-connector-/351243080581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c7b81385

Problem is, all I could see in his store that are about the same size (slim) are all 4 poles. Might want to message him, to see if he got the 3 poles type. I know there's a 3 poles version, because I've seen it.

My question though, how do you solder those type of contacts properly? I've done a few of Pallics plugs, successfully, but ended up melting the surrounding plastic, which of course ended up looking like crap....

Eh yeah, the plastic melts. Just be sure to get the contacts soldered right the first time around, trying to clean up and do it again is near impossible.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #2,949 of 10,535
AWESOME! I really needed the step by step guid on how to do this awesome things! :D

Quite sad that I still don't get this kind of stuff :D 

I shall dig my head in to the world of the interwebz a bit more and research!

Off to the adventure! :D

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2,950 of 10,535
  Thanx.

I'm not using that cable anymore tho. I'm using copper wire that's originally a speaker cable now. Big, bulky, but an eyecandy: http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/lightbox/post/11046334/id/1236908

Yes, I recall that gorgeous wire.  It would almost be worth big and bulky, if I weren't now addicted to light and supple.  Can't be too bad, though, if four strands can fit in that plug.

As with your cables, I love your photos!  Are you a pro, or just talented in that arena, too?
beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,951 of 10,535
Hey all, first time DIYer here. I'm making a custom cable for my HD600. I really like the look of the braided paracord so that's the way I'm going. I've never worked with paracord and am hoping you guys can clear some stuff up for me.

Some sellers say it has a "removable" core, some don't. Is it all the same stuff?

I keep reading that thicker wire is better. I found some 26 AWG that looked good at btg audio, is that too thin if I just use a single strand for each conductor? And will it fit in the paracord nicely?

Is there a certain solder / hot glue adhesive I need to use in this application or can I just use anything I've got laying around?

Thanks guys! 
biggrin.gif

-scizzro

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,952 of 10,535
Hey all, first time DIYer here. I'm making a custom cable for my HD600. I really like the look of the braided paracord so that's the way I'm going. I've never worked with paracord and am hoping you guys can clear some stuff up for me.

Some sellers say it has a "removable" core, some don't. Is it all the same stuff?

I keep reading that thicker wire is better. I found some 26 AWG that looked good at btg audio, is that too thin if I just use a single strand for each conductor? And will it fit in the paracord nicely?

Is there a certain solder / hot glue adhesive I need to use in this application or can I just use anything I've got laying around?

Thanks guys! :D

-scizzro

It should all be the same stuff, removable core or not. You will have to remove it either way anyway. 26awg is fine do for a cable sending one to each conductor, pretty much all my cable builds are 26awg. If you are wanting to have them individually sleeved male sure you get the right paracord thickness. You will need type 1 paracord. If you used 550 it would be extremely baggy.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,953 of 10,535
It should all be the same stuff, removable core or not. You will have to remove it either way anyway. 26awg is fine do for a cable sending one to each conductor, pretty much all my cable builds are 26awg. If you are wanting to have them individually sleeved male sure you get the right paracord thickness. You will need type 1 paracord. If you used 550 it would be extremely baggy.

Thanks man, really helpful. I've been able to mostly complete my parts list. I was looking at some of your previous work in the gallery thread, it really is top notch. I've been struggling with what size / type heat shrink to get and I noticed this post of yours:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/14010#post_10973952

That is exactly how I want the heat shrink to look on the Sennheiser connectors. Do you remember what kind it was?

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,955 of 10,535

Yes, I recall that gorgeous wire.  It would almost be worth big and bulky, if I weren't now addicted to light and supple.  Can't be too bad, though, if four strands can fit in that plug.

As with your cables, I love your photos!  Are you a pro, or just talented in that arena, too?
beerchug.gif

With that cable, it's next to impossible to do a 'proper' cabling, as the diameter of 1 strand of that cable is almost as big as the connector itself, and 1 connector needs 2 strands. Good thing the cable's core is solid plate type, so it's easily shaped. The connectors looks pretty awkward, but yeah, at least it work....

I needed the cable hole of the stereo plug to be at least 8mm to fit 4 strands through the hole. 

Oh and taking pictures is my daily job, so yeah....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back