DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #12,752 of 16,305
  @ Keopele19

I was wondering did you by any chance change the cable because it was getting stiff. I also have a pair of ~12 year old Grado SR80 and the cable above the Y separation is so stiff that it started cracking...

I was also thinking of working on that problematic cable. Actually i was thinking of
1) cutting the cords just under the Y
2) soldering a male 3.5mm jack that would plug in the left ear-cup where a female plug would be installed (or is there maybe another type of connector that could be used, something smaler than a 3.5mm???)
3) buying some thin cable that would go out the top of the left ear-cup to the right ear-cup (maybe by making a new hole at the top).

Any thoughts on this? What type of cable and what male 3.5mm jack would be needed? I have very little DIY experience any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

p.s. I wish to make this without having to spend too much.

I've seen this mod before. Easiest would be with TRS plug but i suppose you could use something else.  I would recommend it if you ever take your grados out for portable use to prevent the cables above the Y from inevitably getting tangled up.

You can buy new cable for around $0.50/ft ~ $4
new jack for $1
assorted heatshrink ~$3
hot glue ~?
solder ~?

really shouldnt cost you more than $20 assuming you are starting with some basics like a soldering iron and hot glue gun.  I would ditch that old stock cable, you wont regret it. I believe this is the trs plug you are looking for. http://www.redco.com/Neutrik-NYS-230.html

you can get parts from markertek.com or redco.com.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #12,753 of 16,305
here is my first attempt on LOD to mini jack.

Made with plussound 7N Cryo silver + 1%gold for signal and 7N Cryo copper for ground.  I can't believe how the sound change compare to the premade LOD to mini jack adapter that I bought from online.  This bring out a lot of detailed sound from even normal ipod ear bud. (provided that using the same mini to mini cable)

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #12,754 of 16,305
  here is my first attempt on LOD to mini jack.

Made with plussound 7N Cryo silver + 1%gold for signal and 7N Cryo copper for ground.  I can't believe how the sound change compare to the premade LOD to mini jack adapter that I bought from online.  This bring out a lot of detailed sound from even normal ipod ear bud. (provided that using the same mini to mini cable)

Yeah LOD makes quite difference. I have so far tried 4 different LOD's and each of them brings out a different sound, of which my DIY LOD made of the SCSCag Silver is my favorite. I want to try Whiplash Audio's latest silver wires but they don't sell in bulk at this moment.

Ordered some Toxic Silver wires and will try a LOD with those wires too. Want to try the plussound 7N Cryo silver + 1%gold but it's currently sold out.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #12,755 of 16,305
Hey guys.
This thread really got me. I bought these Headphones only one week ago and already managed to recable them ^^

This is the first cable i have produced in my live. It's nothing special and is really just to make these cans portable. I hate the 3 meter cable that came with them. So i made a detachable cable.
3.5mm jack in the Headphones. Internally rewired to AWG 24 copper wire.
mini-mini cable. AWG 24 copper wires sleaved with Type 1 Paracord in Red. Neutrik rightangle on the one end, Rean straight plug on the other. Nothing fancy. I don't believe in the whole wire-vodoo thing, so i'm fine with this good quality copper cable.

Only problem is, that since the recable, my clip zip refuses to play beyond a certain volume level. On all other sources it's fine.

This will not be the last cable a present to you. I'm really proud of how this came out, and would like to thank everyone around here for the good examples and the well written tips you all provide. This is a great community!

And sorry for the crappy pictures. I only have my mobile on hand. My Eos 5D is in Argentinia (with my parents^^) So, i'll upload some better pics when they're back...

Rock on
Dominik

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #12,756 of 16,305

Only problem is, that since the recable, my clip zip refuses to play beyond a certain volume level. On all other sources it's fine.

Rock on
Dominik

Nice job Dominik!

The cable should have nothing to do with the Clip's volume unless you made it wrong... Check to make sure the clip is set to America and not EU in the location settings, as the EU has a volume limiter hard set in the firmware.

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #12,757 of 16,305
  Nice job Dominik!

The cable should have nothing to do with the Clip's volume unless you made it wrong... Check to make sure the clip is set to America and not EU in the location settings, as the EU has a volume limiter hard set in the firmware.

First off: Thanks.
To the clip: I changed nothing except the cable. The clip worked with the headphones before. It wors well with others headphones. If i go beyond a certain volume, it just starts to chop the playback. It mutes for half a second and then plays well again. If i lower the volume under a certain point everything's fine.
I'm not sure why this happens. I can't explain it...

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #12,758 of 16,305
Just a quick update on the cables zashoomin made for me.  I know it's not DIY, since I didnt personally MAKE them, but HUGE shoutout to zash for doing this for me!

They look great with my Beyer COPs! (sorry, I dont have the greatest camera on me :p )

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #12,759 of 16,305
What plug did you use, zash? Is that the smallest viablue 3.5mm? My bro has a pair of COPs and its an excuse to make a cable:).

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #12,760 of 16,305
What plug did you use, zash? Is that the smallest viablue 3.5mm? My bro has a pair of COPs and its an excuse to make a cable:).

Ya its the smallest viablue 3.5mm plug.  

Just a quick update on the cables zashoomin made for me.  I know it's not DIY, since I didnt personally MAKE them, but HUGE shoutout to zash for doing this for me!

They look great with my Beyer COPs! (sorry, I dont have the greatest camera on me :p )

biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #12,761 of 16,305

Ya its the smallest viablue 3.5mm plug.  

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the answer! And, seriously, thats a beautiful cable:D

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #12,764 of 16,305

Yeah LOD makes quite difference. I have so far tried 4 different LOD's and each of them brings out a different sound, of which my DIY LOD made of the SCSCag Silver is my favorite. I want to try Whiplash Audio's latest silver wires but they don't sell in bulk at this moment.

Ordered some Toxic Silver wires and will try a LOD with those wires too. Want to try the plussound 7N Cryo silver + 1%gold but it's currently sold out.

yes the plussound cryo silver is really good.  You should try it.  I think they will have it back in stock soon.  I got like 20' of it to make my mini to mini and fitear replacement cable.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #12,765 of 16,305

yes the plussound cryo silver is really good.  You should try it.  I think they will have it back in stock soon.  I got like 20' of it to make my mini to mini and fitear replacement cable.

I actually have a LOD with the plussound copper wire for ground only and the silver+gold from Qables. Let me know if you have any of these plussound siver wires left from your project and I will buy from you. All I need is about 8" long.

My collection of the LOD's is growing quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back