DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #12,736 of 16,305
thx guys
beerchug.gif

I also liked the mogami w2893 ... I will buy some more feets on Redco

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #12,741 of 16,305

Made these for a friend here on Head-fi.

Slim LOD with SPC conductors, same as in the mini to mini, with Viablue 3.5mm small plug and Reflex black techflex.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #12,743 of 16,305
Those viablue's are beautiful!

They really are, but still one of my least favorite to work with. Requires about twice as much time to finish. They are very small and require precision to do correctly.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #12,744 of 16,305
Quote:
They really are, but still one of my least favorite to work with. Requires about twice as much time to finish. They are very small and require precision to do correctly.

I am working with some currently and honestly it is such a pain in the butt.  The tip and sleeve have holes to put the wires through but it will only accept at a maximum like one 30awg cable. Also the two soldering points are like 2mm apart.  Just got to make sure to check for shorts at the end by checking the continuity of the sleeve and tip and everything should be ok though. Oh what we go through to make a nice looking cable.  

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #12,745 of 16,305
Quote:
The tip and sleeve have holes to put the wires through but it will only accept at a maximum like one 30awg cable. Also the two soldering points are like 2mm apart. 

I used 24awg silver/gold wires from Qables with the Viablue.  I actually like to use no less than 24awg wires for my lods and I believe it's more durable.

I am waiting for a dock to complete this lod. Bought this gold plug from Radioshack the other day and thought it looks cool.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #12,746 of 16,305
Alright so no one has posted and cable pictures in a while so I guess I'll post one.  This is a mini to mini cable that I made for a fellow head-fi'er. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #12,750 of 16,305
@ Keopele19

I was wondering did you by any chance change the cable because it was getting stiff. I also have a pair of ~12 year old Grado SR80 and the cable above the Y separation is so stiff that it started cracking...

I was also thinking of working on that problematic cable. Actually i was thinking of
1) cutting the cords just under the Y
2) soldering a male 3.5mm jack that would plug in the left ear-cup where a female plug would be installed (or is there maybe another type of connector that could be used, something smaler than a 3.5mm???)
3) buying some thin cable that would go out the top of the left ear-cup to the right ear-cup (maybe by making a new hole at the top).

Any thoughts on this? What type of cable and what male 3.5mm jack would be needed? I have very little DIY experience any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

p.s. I wish to make this without having to spend too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back