DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #12,331 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:
Steve recommends using a knife, I was looking for a cleaner way to do it though.

No problem, I was just yanking your chain... :)

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #12,332 of 16,305
Sometimes I get fed up trying to strip thin wires and just burn/shrink the stuff off with the iron. With the heat resistant stuff, I might nick the sleeving a bit with the strippers, then pinch the wire down with the iron on a silicon mat (aka cookie sheet) and pull the sleeve off. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #12,333 of 16,305
Quote:
Sometimes I get fed up trying to strip thin wires and just burn/shrink the stuff off with the iron. With the heat resistant stuff, I might nick the sleeving a bit with the strippers, then pinch the wire down with the iron on a silicon mat (aka cookie sheet) and pull the sleeve off. 

I may try burning it off..

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #12,334 of 16,305
Ok dumb question time....

What is the difference between a 2 wire stereo cable
and a 3 wire interconnect cable....?

Sorry and thanks in advance for ignoring the stupidity of this question...

and one wire aint an answer...

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,335 of 16,305
Quote:
Ok dumb question time....

What is the difference between a 2 wire stereo cable
and a 3 wire interconnect cable....?

Sorry and thanks in advance for ignoring the stupidity of this question...

and one wire aint an answer...

Now I might be wrong and probably am but I don't think its possible to have a 2 wire stereo cable.  I think you need at minimum 3 wires: left, right ground.  RCA which is the most common interconnect is 4: left, L ground, right, R ground.  I think the three wire interconnect your thinking of is 3.5mm interconnect or 1/4" which has 3 wires: left, right, ground.  

Not sure if I am right though....
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #12,336 of 16,305
Unless I am being stupid and you mean like 2 wires as in the left and right wires for the RCA and is stereo vs say 3 wire RCA which has left right and video....

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #12,337 of 16,305

This is the cable   looks like 2 wires to me....but my eyes are not the best 
EDIT:   It has to be 3   as one copper each side of the white means there is 2 copper and one white...

Forgive my rambling guys...lol

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #12,338 of 16,305
There are a few different common ways audio is carried over conductors.

Normally for power lines to speakers you'll have 2 wires per speaker. One positive and one ground.

A single ended (unbalanced) line level has a positive and a ground.

A balanced line level (also common for mic signals) uses a positive and a ground but also has a negative which is used to achieve common mode noise reduction from interference. 

It is common to see stereo (2 channel) unbalanced line level (or headphone level) audio carried over connectors commonly used for balanced signals, in these cases you have a positive left, a positive right, and a ground.

Hope this helps.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #12,340 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase a k240DF cable or how to DIY a cable?

I've made one for the K240-Studio before, looks like the same cable and if so it's pretty easy.

You will need:

A 3 pin mini-xlr (I recommend this one rather than the button-type ones like are on there already)
A length of wire.  Mogami W2893 or W2534 is easy to work with.
A connector for the other end, 3.5mm stereo or 6.3mm stereo.  Your choice.

There are a couple of wiring diagrams on how to wire up a 3 pin mini-xlr on the net, but make sure you look for one specific to AKG headphones, because they don't wire things up in a standard way.  See this thread for my experiences with that specific cable.

As long as you know how to solder up the cable, it's a really pretty straightforward.  I recommend Mogami W2893 if you don't want to strip off the outer rubber sleeving (or even if you do and want to sleeve it with something else like Paracord (Type 1 fits really well over the individual cores))

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #12,341 of 16,305
Been a while since I made some cables:

Mini usb to micro usb OTG to connect an HRT MicroStreamer to my Galaxy Note II

Micro usb OTG to full sized A

I ordered these connectors off of eBay to test out and didn't realize until after toiling away to finish the cable that I made a useless cable.  Oh well, at least the connectors are good.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12,343 of 16,305
Just finished my latest cable!  One of the things that has always bugged me about HifiMan headphones was how low the connectors tended to hang.  On the stock cables the strain relief on the connector end would kinda poke into my collarbone, and when I put them on an Omega-style headphone stand, they hung so low that they would wind up bending in the middle.  So I decided to take an Audeze-style approach to the problem, and angle the connectors to avoid all these problems.  This cable is the same construction as my last one: Mogami 2893 sleeved with #1 paracord and braided in a 4-wire round braid.  It seems to work really well:

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #12,344 of 16,305
How do I setup my cable if its going to be a 3 wire braid? Set up as in what do I do for the Y connect and where do I solder all that copper wire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back