DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #12,242 of 16,305
Hi, I think neutrik connectors are too low profile to me, and I am looking for some nice looking 4-pin xlr connectors around $30.
Those carbon fiber connectors are cool, but the link posted only have 3-pin xlr available.
Any one know any good place to the reasonable priced good looking 4-pin xlrs?

Thanks

There basically aren't any beyond Neutrik, Switchcraft, and their clones. You could do what I did and use the 4pin insert of a Switchcraft into the carbon fiber shell. It isnt perfect, but it has held up for several months. If you find fancier 3 pin XLRs that you like, you might be able to do the same.

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #12,243 of 16,305
There basically aren't any beyond Neutrik, Switchcraft, and their clones. You could do what I did and use the 4pin insert of a Switchcraft into the carbon fiber shell. It isnt perfect, but it has held up for several months. If you find fancier 3 pin XLRs that you like, you might be able to do the same.

Maybe this 3 pin shell
http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-cable-connectors/crystalcon/

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #12,244 of 16,305
Quote:
I'd looked at the 2893 vs 2534, and it was a case of I could get more flexible wire with the 2893, but I'd have to live with multi-coloured conductors, unless I got 80 feet or sheathed it. Which actually winds up being one of my more expensive options. Granted, I reckon I could use the other 240 feet for other projects....

Well, there is that.

I have used the 2534 (clear sheathed strands) in a 4 wire cable and I do like the look of it.  I plan on sleeving my 2893 with this Paracord, which is cheap enough.  That way I don't mind the fact that the conductors are different colors.  If you want the sleeved look, it's a good product and they ship quickly (to the US anyway, which is why I mentioned getting a box at the UPS store if you're close enough to the border).

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #12,249 of 16,305
Quote:
Very nice.

Thanks Frank, I managed get the cotton sleeving from ebay user

Quote:
What connectors are those?
Don't think I've ever seen any like them.
They look very good!
Kudos

The connector i got as a sample from connector manufacturer, it's similar with valab but the back housing and locking system are different.
I modified the screw and engrave it :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #12,251 of 16,305
Quote:

Beautifully done.  Kinda looks like a snake with the dark red color and the yellow stripe. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #12,252 of 16,305
Jul 10, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #12,254 of 16,305
Quote:
Beautifully done.  Kinda looks like a snake with the dark red color and the yellow stripe. 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks. I initial wasn't going for that kind of look. I was original going for the just the red and black look, but then the gold/yellow part of the connector will look out of place. Hence why I got some sleeving with a golden accent to it. I do agree with ya, first thing it reminded me of is a snake of some kind.
Quote:
Where do you get the outer part?(thats not called insulation.. its something like it though..)

It's just a red canare l-4e5c mini star-quad, covered with a regular 1/8" wire sleeving with a golden accent to it. I got the sleeving from ebay.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #12,255 of 16,305
Quote:
Quote:
Where do you get the outer part?(thats not called insulation.. its something like it though..)

It's just a red canare l-4e5c mini star-quad, covered with a regular 1/8" wire sleeving with a golden accent to it. I got the sleeving from ebay.

Sleeving, thats what its called.. Where should I pick up some?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back