DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #12,226 of 16,305
thanks guys

got one more for you
does this start out as a round litz braid and the split into round/chain braid for each side, or am I totally off?
(Just trying to get a visual of which braid is which)

and lastly, if that is a litz braid in the first half, would a 4 wire litz braid be any more flexible than a 4 wire round/chain braid or vice versa?

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #12,227 of 16,305
Sorry, wrong about the 8 wire.  Definitely a Kumihimo.  

You're probably right. Just what it looked like. I'll have to try one of those.

Sure enough, looking at the picture from my cellphone didn't do it justice. On the desktop it's clear.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #12,228 of 16,305
Quote:
thanks guys

got one more for you
does this start out as a round litz braid and the split into round/chain braid for each side, or am I totally off?

and lastly, if that is a litz braid in the first half, would a 4 wire litz braid be any more flexible than a 4 wire round/chain braid or vice versa?

Looks like it might be an 8 wire litz that splits into 2 4 wire litz braids.  The 2 channels are definitely 4 wire round litz braids (imo).

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #12,230 of 16,305
Quote:
thanks guys

got one more for you

Looks like an 8 wire square sinnet at the beginning. Litz isn't really a braid type.  Litz refers to the actual construction of the wires.  Not sure how it got attached to the 4 wire round braid, which is what the branches are.  A flat/square braid is a little more compact, but I haven't used one on a cable so I can't help you on flexibility vs the round braid.  I would assume the round braid is more flexible.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #12,231 of 16,305
Quote:
What connectors are those?
Don't think I've ever seen any like them.
They look very good!
Kudos

Look like these that have been engraved and modified for 4 pin use (or a custom batch based on the same design):  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Rhodium-Plated-Tellurium-Cu-XLR-Male-Plug-2-pcs-/281002610427?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416d0f8efb

The mini XLRs look like these:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-xlr-4P-4-pin-female-Audio-Mic-connector-TA4F-0A-/231001197360?pt=US_Computer_Microphones&hash=item35c8be8b30

I did something similar without the engraving for this cable from a while back:

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #12,232 of 16,305
Quote:
Looks like an 8 wire square sinnet at the beginning. Litz isn't really a braid type.  Litz refers to the actual construction of the wires.  Not sure how it got attached to the 4 wire round braid, which is what the branches are.  A flat/square braid is a little more compact, but I haven't used one on a cable so I can't help you on flexibility vs the round braid.  I would assume the round braid is more flexible.

Ah ok, that cleared up a lot of questions for me
Thanks a ton FraGGleR

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #12,234 of 16,305
Well just to make your life a little harder I have a couple suggestions for you.  I personally think that 28ga is a bit thin so I would go with 26-24ga cable.  If you want looks, I personally think that any cable in clear teflon tubing looks amazing.  But thats just an opinion.
Ok so here are a couple more options.
Artemis Cables has $1.50/ft for 24ga UP-OCC Copper cable on ebay.  
Another person you can look at on Ebay is Navships.  He has good stuff that won't break the bank.  
Toxic Cables has some options as well, you can PM Frank if you want to know pricing.  Only problem is his stuff ships from the UK.  
Also there are more deals at PlusSound that I thought where nice.
Moon audio also has a bunch of cable you can look at.
and the last place I will confuse you with is Homegrown Audio.  All of their stuff as far as I can tell though comes in cotton insolation and not teflon. 

out of all of these I personally think that BTG, Plussound and Artemis have the best prices.  As for looks I never thought that Mogami or Canare cable looked all that great so I personally was never really that attracted to it.  

As for sleeving I would suggest furryletters.  He has every size, length and color imaginable for a very reasonable price.  

Hope all of this helps
-B

It actually does help. A couple of the ones you put forward, I'd either discounted due to cost (Homegrown), location/shipping (Toxic), or inconsistency (navships). But it's good to hear I'm on the right track, for the most part. I'm pretty much on the same page with the looks of the teflon-coated stuff, but I figured I'd explore sheathing while I'm at it (partly due to the fact that I'm going to practice on some interconnects/speaker hookups first, before playing with the higher-end connectors I'm looking at). Furryletters looks like a great place if I'm going for a bunch of it (since shipping is actually more than the product itself if I go one at a time. But good lord, the selection.....

So sounds like BTG and Plussound are where I want to be (Artemis, I'm not overly familiar with, but it looks like his ebay store has relatively similar cabling).

Mogami W2893 (26 AWG) is way more flexible than 2534, just so you know.

I'm using that, plus sleeving with Type I Paracord (which the W2893 fits in very nicely) for a few cables myself.  Bonus (especially if you can go to a UPS store or something in the states and get a temporary mailing address) is that it's cheaper than 2534.  Redco.com has it for $0.30 cheaper than the 2534.

I'd looked at the 2893 vs 2534, and it was a case of I could get more flexible wire with the 2893, but I'd have to live with multi-coloured conductors, unless I got 80 feet or sheathed it. Which actually winds up being one of my more expensive options. Granted, I reckon I could use the other 240 feet for other projects....

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #12,235 of 16,305
Does anybody know a good place for pure stranded silver cables?  I am looking at either 24awg or 26awg, but they are quite expensive.

The cheapest one I can find is a 26awg on ebay that is about $6.50 a foot, which, if I were to make an 5 foot 8 conductor cable, will cost me $260.

Are there cheaper alternatives?

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #12,236 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anybody know a good place for pure stranded silver cables?  I am looking at either 24awg or 26awg, but they are quite expensive.

The cheapest one I can find is a 26awg on ebay that is about $6.50 a foot, which, if I were to make an 5 foot 8 conductor cable, will cost me $260.

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2620180&id=11559158
http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2620180&id=13686684
http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2620180&id=15045895

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #12,237 of 16,305
Quote:

Quote:

He is after pure stranded silver.

Wish I could help you out on that. The best deal I could find is from here:
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2462

There are a few other sellers with similar cable for sale. There are a few problems with it though. First is that I cannot verify the quality of the product. Secondly, the conductors are precut. Each is ~4 feet long. 
The good part is that it's cheap. I just asked at the bottom if it is mislabeled as "pure silver" when it is actually silver-plated copper. I'm guessing that it's SPC. We'll see what they answer. They did get around to answering my other question about the length of each conductor. 

Edit: oh yeah, and the shipping time is less than ideal but the price does include shipping.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #12,238 of 16,305
Thanks guys.  I think I will have to either get a $240 cable or stick with SPC or OFC ... choices.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #12,239 of 16,305
Hi, I think neutrik connectors are too low profile to me, and I am looking for some nice looking 4-pin xlr connectors around $30.
Those carbon fiber connectors are cool, but the link posted only have 3-pin xlr available.
Any one know any good place to the reasonable priced good looking 4-pin xlrs?

Thanks

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #12,240 of 16,305
You're not going to find a better connector than the Neutrik XLR's, if they aren't gaudy enough for you could try Amphenol or Switchcraft XLR connectors if you like their design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back