DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #12,199 of 16,305
Don't forget, folks.  This is a gallery thread.  I like the free flow of info, but maybe it would be better to start a DIY cable building thread in addition to this gallery.  Sometimes we go pages without a picture of a new cable, with an awful lot of people asking the same questions over and over again.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #12,200 of 16,305

well here is a cable that i made last weekend.  It changes the left and right channel :)

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #12,201 of 16,305
Quote:
Don't forget, folks.  This is a gallery thread.  I like the free flow of info, but maybe it would be better to start a DIY cable building thread in addition to this gallery.  Sometimes we go pages without a picture of a new cable, with an awful lot of people asking the same questions over and over again.

Well using that flow of info I have been able to create my very first mod and cable. Its not the best and far from good, but it works and im proud of it.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #12,202 of 16,305
I've been stalking this thread for way to long. Today my Fiio LOD broke down and I had to fix me a new one. So I figured "why not share in that this thread?" Then I remembered all the amazing cables and felt a bit depressed... ^_^
I'm going to chip in anyway!

It's made from material I had on hand. I didn't want to wait on the delivery of a new one so I had to improvise.
And sorry for the crappy photo's. I used my snapshot camera for this with mixed ambient light.

​

Larger images and backstory can be found here
I do can say that it sounds better that the L1...

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #12,203 of 16,305
Quote:
I've been stalking this thread for way to long. Today my Fiio LOD broke down and I had to fix me a new one. So I figured "why not share in that this thread?" Then I remembered all the amazing cables and felt a bit depressed... ^_^
I'm going to chip in anyway!

It's made from material I had on hand. I didn't want to wait on the delivery of a new one so I had to improvise.
And sorry for the crappy photo's. I used my snapshot camera for this with mixed ambient light.

​

Larger images and backstory can be found here
I do can say that it sounds better that the L1...

very abstract :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #12,204 of 16,305
Just ordered this...Pailiccs 3.5mm to 3.5mm Male Red Stereo Audio Cord Line-in Cable

what are the differences sound quality wise, between this and a standard interconnect you get with you device?

Sorry for the newb question in advance.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #12,205 of 16,305
Quote:
Just ordered this...Pailiccs 3.5mm to 3.5mm Male Red Stereo Audio Cord Line-in Cable

what are the differences sound quality wise, between this and a standard interconnect you get with you device?

That really depends. There is no exact answer. Some people think cables don't matter at all, and some swear by it. You'll have to be the judge for yourself. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #12,206 of 16,305
I suppose the gear your are using also makes a difference....
Cant go wrong for $15....

cool thanks for that....

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #12,207 of 16,305
Quote:

It's almost a philosophical question; reality is just the framework synthesized by your brain based on your sense. The mind is quite easily fooled, so if you genuinely think you can hear something, then yes, it's real to you, even if it's not actually "real" in terms of absolute, true reality. (What even is true reality? What if I, and the rest of the world, don't exist, and you're just a brain, floating in a jar, connected to electrodes?!)

I'm sure that's not what you meant by that question though. I'd say, none whatsoever as an electrical engineer from the top engineering school in the country, whose undergraduate thesis revolved on materials development and signal transduction. Scientifically, there is no difference.

But, the value someone gets from cable upgrades, whether or not they believe, is their own prerogative, so I'll never judge anyone for their beliefs. If it makes someone happy or enjoy their music more, even if it's imagined, what's the problem?

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #12,208 of 16,305
So..It will sound better,  if I believe it....
George Costanza...

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #12,209 of 16,305
First I bought a Minidisk decka while ago which came with a load of extra cables. Most of them rubbish, but one a Van Der Hul interconnect. I replaced it with my Hama intconnect and now I can't hear much difference between my optical and coax. I discovered this by accident, I thought I had it set to optical when it was in fact set to coax. My mind was blown.

And now the LOD which sounds much diffent from the one I had.

I didn't believe that a cable could make much of a difference, but now I'm a believer. ^_^

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #12,210 of 16,305
It's almost a philosophical question; reality is just the framework synthesized by your brain based on your sense. The mind is quite easily fooled, so if you genuinely think you can hear something, then yes, it's real to you, even if it's not actually "real" in terms of absolute, true reality. (What even is true reality? What if I, and the rest of the world, don't exist, and you're just a brain, floating in a jar, connected to electrodes?!)

I'm sure that's not what you meant by that question though. I'd say, none whatsoever as an electrical engineer from the top engineering school in the country, whose undergraduate thesis revolved on materials development and signal transduction. Scientifically, there is no difference.

But, the value someone gets from cable upgrades, whether or not they believe, is their own prerogative, so I'll never judge anyone for their beliefs. If it makes someone happy or enjoy their music more, even if it's imagined, what's the problem?

There is no spoon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back