DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #12,079 of 16,305
I wanted to recable my jvc ha-s500 ... how I do Y?

Easiest and cheapest is simply use heatshrink.
I use a little electrical tape to keep the two strands separate and the move the heatshrink into place.

Even better if it's heatshrink with adhesive so you can make the Y and then heat.

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #12,080 of 16,305

My Ultra Portable Setup, direct only, no need amp.

Fitear F111 + Special PSSC Custom Cable + Ipod Classic

Cable :
4 strand Pure Silver Solid Core, 24 awg, handcrafted without machine, 100% handmade by a traditional craftman, total 15 grams of natural Borneo Island pure silver used.
Special cotton sleeve perstrand, fit for 24 awg PSSC.
Ultra thin clear heatshrink to cover the cotton sleeve
3.5 Oyaide L Plug
rhodium HPSC

I dont count how many money I spend to build this cable. Hahahahahaha...

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #12,081 of 16,305
Quote:
Canare L-4E6S is good ?

Yep, 65535 said the truth.
smile.gif
. Ordered theese goods from  http://www.redco.com . Suppose they export to Brasil, too. The cable is US$0.50/feet. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #12,082 of 16,305
Quote:
Easiest and cheapest is simply use heatshrink.
I use a little electrical tape to keep the two strands separate and the move the heatshrink into place.

Even better if it's heatshrink with adhesive so you can make the Y and then heat.

thx kamakahah :)
Quote:
Yep, 65535 said the truth.
smile.gif
. Ordered theese goods from  http://www.redco.com . Suppose they export to Brasil, too. The cable is US$0.50/feet. 

yes, they send to Brazil :)

I will buy the cable, thanks

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #12,083 of 16,305
Hey guys! I'm thinking of building cables for mynLCD2.2 and was wondering what's the min sized wire I am able to use? Is 30awg too thin? I understand the the norm is between 24 to 28 awg but may I ask if there is a rule of thumb on th min thickness to be used? Thanks!

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #12,084 of 16,305
Is making a custom cable as easy as it sounds? Buy a connectors, wire, a shield, and plugs and put it together? How much cheaper does it end up being then if I were to buy it somewhere else?
If so could someone point me in the right direction for where to start?

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #12,086 of 16,305
Quote:
Is making a custom cable as easy as it sounds? Buy a connectors, wire, a shield, and plugs and put it together? How much cheaper does it end up being then if I were to buy it somewhere else?

There are a lot of variables in answering your question. In theory, the answer is Yes, it is as easy as it sounds. You purchase the require materials and you assemble them in the proper configuration. The first set of  variables are the different materials you purchase: The wire, the connectors, the sleeving (if you use any), etc. Some wire is less flexible and harder to work with. Some wire has coating that must be removed in order to be able to solder properly. Some wire and connectors require precision in order to solder them properly, even requiring an extra pair of hands to help. Additionally, some wire and connectors don't take well to some solder and might require some patience, liquid flux, etc. 

Braiding the wire evenly is also something that many have problems with. You have to plan on the proper length of your wires, and know that the length will change when braided (depending on the type of braid and number of wires). 

So, in short, it really comes down to your experience(practice), skill with the necessary techniques, and knowledge of the components you will be using.

----------------------------------------------

It can be cheaper, or far more expensive depending on how you calculate the cost.

Do you already have a soldering station, tips, solder, wick, wire cutters, wire strippers, etc?
Having to buy all the required materials, not including wire, connectors, sleeving, can be very expensive if you don't already have them. 

Then the materials vary greatly in price. Do you want copper, silver-plated copper, pure silver, pure silver + gold wire, do you want it cryo treated? The cost increases greatly.
Connectors are no different. There are numerous different types/brands with differing costs. And depending on your location, shipping might be expensive.
None of this even factors in your time. Learning is going to require a bit of time and patience. A few hours of your time might be worth more than the cable is.

In the end, if you just need 1 or 2 cables, you're probably better off just finding one you like from a professional and buying it.

-----------------------------------------

There are great guides all over Head-Fi. I'll let other link them, or you can search. Good luck.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #12,087 of 16,305
Quote:

Pretty much exactly as you described.  Price is dependent on what components and wire you choose.  You can get stuff from pretty much any a/v supplier.  Not sure if you're in the US, but Parts-Express and Redco are 2 of my favorite, but you can honestly get parts from Radio Shack if you so choose.

For a basic interconnect, you need 2 plugs and a length of wire (usually, but not always, 4 wires either as a quad microphone wire a la Mogami 2534, 2893, or Canare L-4E5C) and some soldering supplies.

Quote:
Dear fellow diy'ers,

Does anybody know any after-market 3.5mm / 1/8" mono plug which can fit Denon's AH-D7100 earcups?
Can't really find any which would fit them as the original do. Any hint is much appreciated!

Those look pretty standard, though it's such a close up pic that it's really hard to tell.  Unless someone has some better advice, buy some cheap mono connectors (these or these for example) and try them out.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #12,088 of 16,305
Quote:
Those look pretty standard, though it's such a close up pic that it's really hard to tell.  Unless someone has some better advice, buy some cheap mono connectors (these or these for example) and try them out.

Thank you, I have already looked at Neutrik as a basic connector. The issue is, Denon's plugs, if you look closer (especially at that close-up pic) have plastic (white and red, for each channel) bumps which actually go inside the connector's shaft, to "click" so to say. If an after-market connector has a different shell, then such connectors may just not fit securely enough to keep contact.

I read few posts here where people warned against such after-market plugs as being potentially non-compliant for Denon. I know that the best was is to buy some and check, but I thought I first ask here in case somebody already did this and/or know other alternative connectors. Please revert back if you know it. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #12,089 of 16,305
Without being familiar with the D7100, I couldn't tell you whether Neutrik plugs will fit. Even if the connectors themselves are standard 3.5mm, the plug bodies might be too large for the plug to seat properly.

If the plug bodies fit the headphone cups, you can probably get away without them fitting the keyed slots. The notch in the tip of the plug is to allow the contact in the socket to serve as a spring to hold it in place. Just don't be too much of a headbanger... :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,090 of 16,305
Quote:

There are a lot of variables in answering your question. In theory, the answer is Yes, it is as easy as it sounds. You purchase the require materials and you assemble them in the proper configuration. The first set of  variables are the different materials you purchase: The wire, the connectors, the sleeving (if you use any), etc. Some wire is less flexible and harder to work with. Some wire has coating that must be removed in order to be able to solder properly. Some wire and connectors require precision in order to solder them properly, even requiring an extra pair of hands to help. Additionally, some wire and connectors don't take well to some solder and might require some patience, liquid flux, etc. 

Braiding the wire evenly is also something that many have problems with. You have to plan on the proper length of your wires, and know that the length will change when braided (depending on the type of braid and number of wires). 

So, in short, it really comes down to your experience(practice), skill with the necessary techniques, and knowledge of the components you will be using.

----------------------------------------------

It can be cheaper, or far more expensive depending on how you calculate the cost.

Do you already have a soldering station, tips, solder, wick, wire cutters, wire strippers, etc?
Having to buy all the required materials, not including wire, connectors, sleeving, can be very expensive if you don't already have them. 

Then the materials vary greatly in price. Do you want copper, silver-plated copper, pure silver, pure silver + gold wire, do you want it cryo treated? The cost increases greatly.
Connectors are no different. There are numerous different types/brands with differing costs. And depending on your location, shipping might be expensive.
None of this even factors in your time. Learning is going to require a bit of time and patience. A few hours of your time might be worth more than the cable is.

In the end, if you just need 1 or 2 cables, you're probably better off just finding one you like from a professional and buying it.

-----------------------------------------

There are great guides all over Head-Fi. I'll let other link them, or you can search. Good luck.

Quote:

Pretty much exactly as you described.  Price is dependent on what components and wire you choose.  You can get stuff from pretty much any a/v supplier.  Not sure if you're in the US, but Parts-Express and Redco are 2 of my favorite, but you can honestly get parts from Radio Shack if you so choose.

For a basic interconnect, you need 2 plugs and a length of wire (usually, but not always, 4 wires either as a quad microphone wire a la Mogami 2534, 2893, or Canare L-4E5C) and some soldering supplies.

Thanks to both of you. I think for now I will buy what I need, and maybe in a month or so buy some parts and see if I can make something I like a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back