DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #11,581 of 16,305
Quote:
Automobile parts stores.
Big box home improvement, hardware stores.

The mylarized type?  In strips?  Do you have part numbers?

I have been searching for forever and have not been able to find anything.  Doublehelixcables sells it by the foot.  

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #11,582 of 16,305
Double Helix sells them per FT, but if you think about it, $1 a FT? WHAT??!
I'm not part of the 1%.

I'm still looking around for 1/2" x 260'+ rolls of mylar aluminum foil (Shielding Purposes)

Also, does anyone knows where to get copper braid (tinned/non-tinned) rolls of 3/16" or 1/8"?

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #11,584 of 16,305
Quote:
I'm probably being That Guy by asking, but since you're in Seoul have you tried any of the vendors at the Yongsan markets?

I'm an exchange student in Florida as of now, so i won't be back in Seoul for another few months.

Trying to source resources as quick as i can.

And how do you know of the Yongsan Markets? 
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #11,585 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anyone know where to buy mylar aluminum shielding foil in rolls?

Does it have to be the mylar type? You can buy aluminum tape at any hardware store.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #11,586 of 16,305
Quote:
They should.

The real problem is finding a housing for that threaded 3.5mm plug.
I'm not sure if Qables would sell a housing for it, because just regular heat-shrink would look rather plain and ugly.

Qables say that Neutrik mini housings should fit it but I dont see how as there is no thread for the housing to screw onto the internals?

Have you got the 6.3 adapter now? Could you check the internal thread diameter? I have a jack that i recently bought that has a 7.9mm thread diameter. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280712958432&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:112

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #11,587 of 16,305
Does it have to be the mylar type? You can buy aluminum tape at any hardware store.

I'm assuming he was looking for something suitable for cable shielding. Anything with adhesive would be too stiff. Mylar makes it quieter and less prone to tearing than aluminum foil.

I have thought about buying one of those emergency foil blankets to see if it conducts like some of the mylar foil I bought from DHC.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #11,588 of 16,305
Quote:
I'm assuming he was looking for something suitable for cable shielding. Anything with adhesive would be too stiff. Mylar makes it quieter and less prone to tearing than aluminum foil.

I have thought about buying one of those emergency foil blankets to see if it conducts like some of the mylar foil I bought from DHC.

Wouldn't a woven mylar shield be better then?
Something like this?

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #11,589 of 16,305
Quote:

Aluminum tape tears easily.
Too thick = needs dampening or else microphonics may become an issue.

When using regular aluminum tape to shield wires, ideally, most people would shield it spirally to lower the changes of having the tape rip off.
However, even when using the spiral method, if it ends up ripping and you continue from where it ripped, those two metals are no longer adjoined and everything after no longer acts as a shield because it won't be connected.
This can easily be fixed if the person uses a copper braid (tinned/un-tinned) over the foil, which would then touch the torn aluminum pieces and create a complete shield.

For those who use aluminum "tape" foil only (and ends up ripping), what you can do is:
Get a wire around size 26AWG - 30 AWG (tinned or silver plated)
Remove insulation
Wrap spirally over the foils to connect them which would then help you in creating a "complete" shield.

Quote:

Wouldn't a woven mylar shield be better then?
Something like this?

Woven/Techflex works, but i would say that it's not a very effective as a standalone.
They're woven in, and held together by the PET/Plastic, which clearly isn't metal, resulting as being a gap or hole that let's EMI/RF through.
It's more like a semi-shielding or for under sleeving aesthetics.

Another issue with them is the ability to ground the dang thing.
Since the PET is mostly larger than the mylar aluminum that it holds, putting a copper braid under/over it would not work.
You can make a floating ground using a wire soldered to the aluminum mylar, but that is somewhat difficult and time consuming.

I only use these as a 3rd shield over Mylar Foil and Copper Braid for extra protection.
Perhaps i'll use it more often if someone has an easier way to ground it.
This is all relevant to the thinner type of Mylar PET Sleeving, I haven't tried to thicker one.
Quote:
Qables say that Neutrik mini housings should fit it but I dont see how as there is no thread for the housing to screw onto the internals?

Have you got the 6.3 adapter now? Could you check the internal thread diameter? I have a jack that i recently bought that has a 7.9mm thread diameter. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280712958432&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:112

I have none in stock at the moment, but will ask a supplier to have it measured for you. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #11,590 of 16,305
I'm an exchange student in Florida as of now, so i won't be back in Seoul for another few months.

And how do you know of the Yongsan Markets? 
tongue.gif

I get to leave the house once in a while too. :rolleyes:

Seriously, good luck on the hunt. You might want to try the experiment that fraggler mentioned above; if that works, it means there are acres of aluminized mylar available on the cheap for anybody with a decent knife and cutting board.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #11,591 of 16,305
I was also looking into one of those mylar foil blankets.
Should i try, or you Justin? Lol.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #11,594 of 16,305
Quote:

Woven/Techflex works, but i would say that it's not a very effective as a standalone.
They're woven in, and held together by the PET/Plastic, which clearly isn't metal, resulting as being a gap or hole that let's EMI/RF through.
It's more like a semi-shielding or for under sleeving aesthetics.

Another issue with them is the ability to ground the dang thing.
Since the PET is mostly larger than the mylar aluminum that it holds, putting a copper braid under/over it would not work.
You can make a floating ground using a wire soldered to the aluminum mylar, but that is somewhat difficult and time consuming.

You do know that mylar is PET, covered with a thin layer of usually aluminium?
Two layers of that braid will give you nearly full coverage. I'd go with that, then do a simple desktop test for efficacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back