DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #11,566 of 16,305
Any idea what this conector is?

If you're in the States, fraggler's link to Mouser is your best bet. If you don't want to use Mouser, check with some of the cable builders that sell parts, or look for an Auto-IRIS camera plug. Some of the Chinese vendors sell them too -- I've only seen them advertised in large quantities but maybe somebody, somewhere, will sell ones and twos.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #11,567 of 16,305
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #11,570 of 16,305
I'm also looking to mod my M50s (kitten chewed right through the cable), and I want to go mini-xlr to 14" stereo (these are for home recording).

These are the parts I currently have lined up.

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1302&bc=no

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=3093&bc=no

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=209&bc=no

I'm pretty sure those are the connectors I need, but I'm trying to nail down what cable would be best.  I see a lot of people using 4 conductor cable for this type of application, and I'm not quite sure why.  Could someone point me to the correct cable at Redco to buy for this application please?

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #11,571 of 16,305
I've used that same female XLR for my AKG's and it worked great with Mogami 2893.  I got the large opening option for the XLR, but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten away with the small one.

The 4 conductor cable is:

1 x Left signal
1x Right signal
2x Ground (or for balanced, 1x Left Ground, 1x Right Ground, same thing).

I used the Mogami as is, but the next recable I'm going to do I will strip out the 4 connectors in some Mogami 2534 I have and just use them (or just use the clear ones, not sure yet).

---

Rather than making a separate post, when people are using Techflex to sleeve their cables, what diameter are you using?  There's a bunch to choose from.  Thinking of ordering some from FrozenCPU just so I have it on hand.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #11,572 of 16,305
Well, Got a few extra hours on my hands this afternoon and was really liking the shade of blue of this USB cable I have. I realized I had some paracord in almost the exact same shade. So my mind started wondering...

I ended up making a new cable for my AIAIAIs and sheathed them. First cable ever made was IMO, a success!

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #11,573 of 16,305
Quote:
To the person who asked a question earlier regarding screw on 1/8 to 1/4" adapters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2P-Gold-3-5mm-1-8-Female-to-6-35mm-1-4-Male-Plug-Dual-Audio-Adapter-screw-2019-/181092137605?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item2a29eeba85

You would most likely need a threaded 3.5mm connector in order to use it:
http://www.qables.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=644

Tim

Cheers thanks very much  - have you had experience with these? Do they fit inside eachother?

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #11,574 of 16,305
Quote:
Cheers thanks very much  - have you had experience with these? Do they fit inside eachother?

They should.

The real problem is finding a housing for that threaded 3.5mm plug.
I'm not sure if Qables would sell a housing for it, because just regular heat-shrink would look rather plain and ugly.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #11,575 of 16,305
Quote:
I have limited experience using 3:1 heatshrink, but the few times I've tried it tends to roll back on itself. Any tips here? I try to shrink the ends first, but they still want to roll back. 

in order to prevent this, i usually have to roll the edge between my fingers while it is still hot. keeps the edges flush with the surface, but can burn your fingers :wink:

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #11,576 of 16,305
Quote:
Well, Got a few extra hours on my hands this afternoon and was really liking the shade of blue of this USB cable I have. I realized I had some paracord in almost the exact same shade. So my mind started wondering...

I ended up making a new cable for my AIAIAIs and sheathed them. First cable ever made was IMO, a success!

That looks fantastic!

What kind of wire did you use underneath the Paracord?  Is it in a braid of any kind?  I have a bunch laying around (from when I thought I was going to sleeve my computer wires) and I'd love to find a good use for it.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #11,577 of 16,305
Quote:
That looks fantastic!

What kind of wire did you use underneath the Paracord?  Is it in a braid of any kind?  I have a bunch laying around (from when I thought I was going to sleeve my computer wires) and I'd love to find a good use for it.

Thanks.

This was the first cable I have ever made. I just did a regular 3 line braid with some silver-plated copper wire from navship. Nothing too crazy for my first cord. especially since they were for my DJ headphones.

Time to build some small interconnects. This is extremely fun and therapeutic for me. Throw some tunes on and solder away.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #11,578 of 16,305
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #11,579 of 16,305
Does anyone know where to buy mylar aluminum shielding foil in rolls?

Somewhere that i can buy multiple rolls for under $100.
Alibaba makes me buy them in TONS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back