DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #11,521 of 16,305
Here's my humble addition to the thread

This is my first cable. I think it turned out rather well!

I wanted something to connect my Modi and Magni stack together that didn't lift up the one on top. These ended up being just a hair too stiff and they do lift up the unit a hair, but not bad

Used some 26 AWG twister pair 19-strand silver-coated copper from navships
Sleeved in red 1/8" Techflex
Some 2:1 3/16" heatshrink
Terminated in Gold RCA Super Plugs (the 6.3 mm entry) from Parts Express (example links http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-052 and http://www.amazon.com/Super-Connector-Black-Cable-Entry/dp/B0002KRCS6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1362461169&sr=8-4&keywords=parts+express+gold+rca+super
I found that Amazon offered cheaper shipping even though it is sold by Parts Express. Look around for different colors and for different cable entry sizes if you're interested)

Now I'm addicted to cable building
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #11,523 of 16,305
Very nice connects Jeremy, keep up the good work.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #11,525 of 16,305
Those RCA plugs look huge, but for some reason it works, nice job.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #11,529 of 16,305
Thanks, I did have them twisted really tight, but as you can see they kind of unraveled. It seems like the red wire is a lot more pliable than the black one. Any pointers on how I can get the wires to stay nice and tightly twisted while/after I solder the tips?

It sounds like you let the wires rotate on axis as you twisted them around each other.

For your next job, solder the plug at one end, and then as you twist the wires try to keep the wires from rotating. This will both help keep the wind a little more balanced and a whole lot more stable.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #11,530 of 16,305
Does anyone know of a place to get USB A and USB B plugs for making your own, besides DHC? those are really expensive. or are they quality enough to warrant it? 

i looked on mouser and digikey and didnt see anything gold plated

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #11,531 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anyone know of a place to get USB A and USB B plugs for making your own, besides DHC? those are really expensive. or are they quality enough to warrant it? 

Theirs is pretty good.

You may be able to find some on ebay, you'll usually see USB 3.0 (blue), which shouldn't be any different.

Tim

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #11,532 of 16,305
Quote:

You can always buy a Monoprice cable and harvest the connectors.  Use a heatgun to soften the molding and you can push/cut it back freeing up the connectors.  I did this for the first couple I did.

There are no places like Mouser to get gold plated USB A and B plugs.  Most available were special ordered by people like DHC and ALO.  Like Cssarrow said, you might get lucky on ebay or maybe someplace like Aliexpress.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #11,533 of 16,305
It's not a mistake, it's a feature!

Ha! Well luckily it's behind my amp so you can't see it anyway. Besides, I don't mind since its my first attempt at any cable/soldering... It gives it character! At least it sounds good :wink:

My second attemp, I will make you guys proud...lots of heat shrink!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back