DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #11,506 of 16,305
Still waiting for my C5, looks awesome, nice cable too :)

Still waiting for my Copper cable from Toxic cables to make another IEM cable :p

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #11,507 of 16,305
Quote:
Still waiting for my C5, looks awesome, nice cable too :)

Still waiting for my Copper cable from Toxic cables to make another IEM cable :p

Thanks!

C5 is really good. I like it!

Btw, 

I just made new pair of RCA interconnects...LOL

It is FUN to make cables :D

Neutrik RCA + Mogami W2549 Balanced cable

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #11,509 of 16,305
Mar 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #11,510 of 16,305
Finished my cable.

Y-split is the body from a right-angle Neutrik

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #11,511 of 16,305
Hi all, 

been watching this thread every day for months on end and recently, I have been wanting to recable my Beyers, since my jack was caught in a car door. I love the fact that I could securely attach a 6.3 mm adapter to the threaded 3.5mm.

I have owned and seen many a jack but nothing with a built in or integrated way to screw on a 6.3 mm adapter. Does such a plug exist? 

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #11,512 of 16,305
Quote:
Hi all, 

been watching this thread every day for months on end and recently, I have been wanting to recable my Beyers, since my jack was caught in a car door. I love the fact that I could securely attach a 6.3 mm adapter to the threaded 3.5mm.

I have owned and seen many a jack but nothing with a built in or integrated way to screw on a 6.3 mm adapter. Does such a plug exist? 

If i remember correctly, AKG has a screw on 6.3mm adapter for their headphone cables, specifically, the AKG Q701 light green cable.

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #11,513 of 16,305
Quote:
Hi all, 

Folks have been looking for a DIY option like that for quite some time.  Some have popped up on manufacturer websites, but none seem to be readily purchasable.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #11,514 of 16,305
My first attempt, built a pair of interconnects. My wife even helped a bit, lol. This thread has been a great resource!

Next, I'm going to tackle re-cabling my ATH-ESW9's. DIY is kinda fun
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #11,515 of 16,305
Quote:
My first attempt, built a pair of interconnects. My wife even helped a bit, lol. This thread has been a great resource!

Next, I'm going to tackle re-cabling my ATH-ESW9's. DIY is kinda fun
biggrin.gif

Twisting needs a lot of work.

As you can see, the red wire twists nicely, while the black remains straight.
Try and get them both looking like the red.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #11,516 of 16,305
Quote:
Twisting needs a lot of work.

As you can see, the red wire twists nicely, while the black remains straight.
Try and get them both looking like the red.

Thanks, I did have them twisted really tight, but as you can see they kind of unraveled. It seems like the red wire is a lot more pliable than the black one. Any pointers on how I can get the wires to stay nice and tightly twisted while/after I solder the tips?

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #11,517 of 16,305
Quote:
If i remember correctly, AKG has a screw on 6.3mm adapter for their headphone cables, specifically, the AKG Q701 light green cable.

Quote:
Folks have been looking for a DIY option like that for quite some time.  Some have popped up on manufacturer websites, but none seem to be readily purchasable.

Yeah thats the findings i've been getting too but i thought i'd ask the enthusiasts..

Cheers to both of you for the answer.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #11,518 of 16,305
Quote:
Thanks, I did have them twisted really tight, but as you can see they kind of unraveled. It seems like the red wire is a lot more pliable than the black one. Any pointers on how I can get the wires to stay nice and tightly twisted while/after I solder the tips?

From the looks of it, the wires you seem to be using are either 14 or 16AWG.

First twist what you need, measure how much length you need for the solder joints, then put a heat-shrink before it.
The shrink can be cut later on, or can just be covered by your RCA housing.

If you want, you can fill the soldered area with some hot glue to relieve it from future strains such as pull and bends.
For those wire sizes, i recommend 1/8" or 3/16" heat-shrink for more shrink-hold power.

Here is an example:

Tim

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #11,519 of 16,305
Great, thanks Tim. The wire is indeed 16 gauge primary wire, I imagine 22 and 24 is a little easier to work with in terms of keeping a tight twist. I'll try heat shrinking the ends and a little hot glue on the next pair I build. I realized it was unraveling once I had the ends inside the plug as I began to solder, but at that point there wasn't much I could do
confused_face.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #11,520 of 16,305
Quote:
Great, thanks Tim. The wire is indeed 16 gauge primary wire, I imagine 22 and 24 is a little easier to work with in terms of keeping a tight twist. I'll try heat shrinking the ends and a little hot glue on the next pair I build. I realized it was unraveling once I had the ends inside the plug as I began to solder, but at that point there wasn't much I could do
confused_face.gif

You could always resolder it, but i doubt you'll notice EMI from 2 inchs of length.

k701smile.gif

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back