DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #11,387 of 16,305
Quote:
Does anyone know where to get the Viablue NF-A7 y-splitter in the US?
Also has anyone used the Viablue sleeving? I want t know if it's prone to microphonics for my first DIY cable =D

I don't think any of them have the NF-A7, but as the US dealers, they  might be able to order you some:  http://viablue.de/com/usa.shtml

And, yes the Viablue sleeving will be a little prone to cable noise, as it is made from plastic fibers of some sort.  Not the worst, but more suited to interconnects, speaker cables, power cables, etc.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #11,388 of 16,305
Quote:
I don't think any of them have the NF-A7, but as the US dealers, they  might be able to order you some:  http://viablue.de/com/usa.shtml

And, yes the Viablue sleeving will be a little prone to cable noise, as it is made from plastic fibers of some sort.  Not the worst, but more suited to interconnects, speaker cables, power cables, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply. 
I'll check with av-outlet and see if they can order it.
Will adding a cotton sleeve under it make it any better? I was thinking of only sleeving below the y-split.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #11,389 of 16,305
Quote:
You were able to get paracord around that braid? Impressive.

The picture of the wire I put up is 4 wire, the braid I used for the male-male cable was only 3 wire, so it was much thinner. I only took the picture of the 4 wire braid because that's the only bit of the wire I have left.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #11,390 of 16,305
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. 
I'll check with av-outlet and see if they can order it.
Will adding a cotton sleeve under it make it any better? I was thinking of only sleeving below the y-split.

Cotton will help with the transfer of sound directly to the wires.  You might try some sort of layer at the plug as well.  It probably won't be that bad if you don't move around a lot.  And once you are playing music, you probably won't hear anything.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #11,392 of 16,305
Quote:
Cotton will help with the transfer of sound directly to the wires.  You might try some sort of layer at the plug as well.  It probably won't be that bad if you don't move around a lot.  And once you are playing music, you probably won't hear anything.

What do you mean by layering at the plug? I was going to use heatshrink to keep leads from touching inside the plug and then some more to keep the sleeves in place. using hot glue as necessary.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #11,396 of 16,305
Quote:

Personally, I would avoid using that wire (or any Navships wire) for headphone cables.  I love it for interconnects or internal wiring, but it picks up and conducts a lot of physical noise.  The teflon is thick and the stranding low relative to higher end wire, so it is a little stiffer than you want for cables, especially portable cables that will move around and flex a lot.

If you are ok spending the money, Toxic Cables is easily your best bet in the UK for high quality wire that is meant specifically for headphone cables.  There are other sellers in the US that I am aware of, but most likely will be more expensive due to shipping.

Are there other sellers of the pure silver wire similar to Toxic Cables, other than Plussound in LA?  I am looking for something 26ga, that I can get a little faster than a week to ten days from UK!

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #11,397 of 16,305
Quote:

Personally, I would avoid using that wire (or any Navships wire) for headphone cables.  I love it for interconnects or internal wiring, but it picks up and conducts a lot of physical noise.  The teflon is thick and the stranding low relative to higher end wire, so it is a little stiffer than you want for cables, especially portable cables that will move around and flex a lot.

If you are ok spending the money, Toxic Cables is easily your best bet in the UK for high quality wire that is meant specifically for headphone cables.  There are other sellers in the US that I am aware of, but most likely will be more expensive due to shipping.

Are there other sellers of the pure silver wire similar to Toxic Cables, other than Plussound in LA?  I am looking for something 26ga, that I can get a little faster than a week to ten days from UK!

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #11,399 of 16,305
Quote:
firstly, sorry for the typo. I edited that.

secondly, I personally believe that both signal and ground have to be of the same quality. Better ground will end up with better result. Eg: I used both Jena Ultrawire for my mini2mini cable and someone uses Jena Ultrawire for signal and Mogami 2534 for ground. Compared both of them and sounded different. so if you have the cash, always go for better ground

I was thinking of using good quality SPC for signal and Mogami 2534 for ground....can you explain how the two cables sounded different?

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #11,400 of 16,305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back