DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #11,342 of 16,305
I'm considering buying the following cable to do a rewire on my Grado SR125's. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150819113739&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I've checked other places, Redco/Markedtek, but they both want quite a bit in shipping 10$ to start.

I can't find any Mogami on ebay right now, the W2893 seems popular. I'm planning on just wire for my first try. No sheathing. 
There are a couple 3.5mm Neutrik NYS231BG on ebay too.

Is this a fair idea? Very open to suggestions.

Side note: How do you create the stress relief inside the cans with a zip tie?

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #11,343 of 16,305
There really isn't any stress relief to speak of. Just put a piece of shrink wrap near where it'll enter the cups, and pull a zip tie real tight. You can also tie a knot.

My ad hoc method of making a strain relief sometimes it to take the spring out of a cheap click-pen (and sometimes shrink wrap on top).

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #11,350 of 16,305
20 AWG is the largest I've ever heard anybody make headphone cables from, and that was for an HE-6, which is already so large and heavy that the added mass of the cable isn't as significant. I don't think there are any phone plug housings that could fit three strands of 14 AWG...

You don't want to use anything larger than 24 AWG.

It is fairly easy to get small spools of hookup wire (for example), but much hookup wire is solid-core, which is bad for headphone cables.

I've used "speaker wire" from hardware stores before, and keep some handy in a scrapbox (there's some working as a grounding strap from my receiver to the wall as I write this). It's usually 24 AWG or so -- it's actually just zipcord with a clear rubber insulator and one of the lines is tinned -- and does not look or feel nice at all -- but it is cheap, and might be something good to practice your soldering with.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #11,351 of 16,305
Quote:
20 AWG is the largest I've ever heard anybody make headphone cables from, and that was for an HE-6, which is already so large and heavy that the added mass of the cable isn't as significant. I don't think there are any phone plug housings that could fit three strands of 14 AWG...

You don't want to use anything larger than 24 AWG.

It is fairly easy to get small spools of hookup wire (for example), but much hookup wire is solid-core, which is bad for headphone cables.

I've used "speaker wire" from hardware stores before, and keep some handy in a scrapbox (there's some working as a grounding strap from my receiver to the wall as I write this). It's usually 24 AWG or so -- it's actually just zipcord with a clear rubber insulator and one of the lines is tinned -- and does not look or feel nice at all -- but it is cheap, and might be something good to practice your soldering with.

Thank you for your information, i really appreciate this.

Does anybody know how to do a recabling on sennheiser IE60's? they dont have removable cable, but can you dissasemble it or something?

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #11,352 of 16,305
That's not going to be easy. You'll have to cut the existing cables and splice in and solder new cables. For a clean job, you'll have to cut the shell open to do that, then rebuild the housing with plastic or epoxy. Alternately you can cut the shell open, cut the existing cables and splice in a socket block so that you can plug/unplug your cables.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #11,353 of 16,305
Quote:
That's not going to be easy. You'll have to cut the existing cables and splice in and solder new cables. For a clean job, you'll have to cut the shell open to do that, then rebuild the housing with plastic or epoxy. Alternately you can cut the shell open, cut the existing cables and splice in a socket block so that you can plug/unplug your cables.

Ok, so not gonna happen. Just one more guestion, is it better to solder a DIY cable into both earpieces or just solder to the existing left side of the Senn HD598's? I can't find a plug for that so i have to solder it directly to the driver(s).

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #11,354 of 16,305
Quote:
Ok, so not gonna happen. Just one more guestion, is it better to solder a DIY cable into both earpieces or just solder to the existing left side of the Senn HD598's? I can't find a plug for that so i have to solder it directly to the driver(s).

That's really up to you, honestly.

For the plug, you could always use something like this to make the cable removable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back