DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #10,531 of 16,305
confused_face_2.gif
a dear friend where I can buy these cable subistituição????

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #10,536 of 16,305
Quote:
Some glamour shots of a pair of interconnects that I made. 

Switchcraft rca + 8 strands of 20awg spc cable

Those are nice... and would work really well from my DVD Transport to my Receiver.... send over for me to evaluate for you! :wink:

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10,537 of 16,305
Hey guys where would you reccomend  to go to build a pair of my own RCAs? Looking for something of high quality, but not super expensive. Wiring would also be nice to find. Any reccomendations? 

(Yes I know these arent pictures at all, but I promise ill post pics of them when done :))

Thanks, DD. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #10,539 of 16,305
Quote:
Those are nice... and would work really well from my DVD Transport to my Receiver.... send over for me to evaluate for you! :wink:

tongue_smile.gif

Hey guys where would you reccomend  to go to build a pair of my own RCAs? Looking for something of high quality, but not super expensive. Wiring would also be nice to find. Any reccomendations? 

(Yes I know these arent pictures at all, but I promise ill post pics of them when done :))

Thanks, DD. 

I ebay most of my parts since I live in canada and shipping from the states is painfully expensive. favorite diy cables in these forums seems to be toxic cable or double helix nucleotide but a cheaper alternative is navship on ebay.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #10,540 of 16,305
Quote:

Thanks, DD. 

You can try [size=small]Redco[/size] too. Great prices, items and consumer support.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #10,541 of 16,305
Got my hands on the newest Viablue splitter, NF-A7. Pretty neat barrel and compared to their other splitter, rather compact and nice. 
The sleeving is Viablue as well. Such a headache to work with, very fraying at the ends, even if using common techniques like hot knife or lighter. Make sure to order extra length to cover those lost cm's of fraying ends. Use longer heatshrink as well to firmly fix this little beast. Otherwise it will sneak out from under the heatshrink.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #10,542 of 16,305
Quote:
Got my hands on the newest Viablue splitter, NF-A7. Pretty neat barrel and compared to their other splitter, rather compact and nice. 
The sleeving is Viablue as well. Such a headache to work with, very fraying at the ends, even if using common techniques like hot knife or lighter. Make sure to order extra length to cover those lost cm's of fraying ends. Use longer heatshrink as well to firmly fix this little beast. Otherwise it will sneak out from under the heatshrink.

That is a sweet job apollnaris

How bout some more pics of the other end

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #10,543 of 16,305
Sure. here you go. The Furutech plug is crazy heavy and solid, but a fantastic confident feeling.
My only weak part here is sleeving those Sennheiser connectors - I never can make it look slimmer and thinner as some other head-fiers here do. But then, how else can you fix the nylon sleeving at that end, than by pulling it onto the connector and heatshrinking over it?

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #10,544 of 16,305
Quote:
I ebay most of my parts since I live in canada and shipping from the states is painfully expensive. favorite diy cables in these forums seems to be toxic cable or double helix nucleotide but a cheaper alternative is navship on ebay.

Toxic Cable's and Double Helix' wires are well-reputed, but they're different from Navships'.

Navships' specialty is silver-plated copper wire with industrial/military grade Teflon or Kapton insulation, which makes them very stiff. The upside is a massive range of wire gauges.

Toxic and DH sell copper wire of a much higher grade than Navships, more finely stranded and insulated in PTFE or similar, a much more supple plastic. A considerably narrower range of wire gauges.

To split the difference, many home builders get starquad cable made by Mogami or Canare. Cheaper than Toxic Cables and Double Helix and about as limber (as long as the gauges are similar) but the constituent copper is also not as high quality. Also, if you intend to strip the outer cable jacket of your starquad and expose the wires, you're stuck with the wire insulation colors they give you, which might be black, or clear, or blue, or a range of reds and pinks... Some people care, some people don't, but it's something to be aware of.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #10,545 of 16,305
Quote:
Sure. here you go. The Furutech plug is crazy heavy and solid, but a fantastic confident feeling.
My only weak part here is sleeving those Sennheiser connectors - I never can make it look slimmer and thinner as some other head-fiers here do. But then, how else can you fix the nylon sleeving at that end, than by pulling it onto the connector and heatshrinking over it?

You could always pull the nylon sleeving off (past the viablue y-splitter) and replace it with shrink wrap.
It gives a cool look and feel.

Just an option! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back