DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #10,156 of 16,312
Very beautiful cable apollinaris! But the microphonics must be awful. Same cable with nylon would be pure win with that y-splitter

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #10,158 of 16,312
Quote:
Very beautiful cable apollinaris! But the microphonics must be awful. Same cable with nylon would be pure win with that y-splitter

Thanks! Concerning the so-called 'microfonics', yes you do hear cables when they scratch against each other more than with nylon, but not that much, for once. Moreover, I find it that with a special construction (i.e. shorter lengths, I use ca. 25-30 cm lengths) of the after-splitter cables you would hardly find a situation whereby the two cables will meet each other; that's from my own experience. So I don't really find this a problem, although I was indeed concerned about this issue before I made my first MDPC cable. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #10,159 of 16,312
Quote:
Why not get CIEM sockets, to hold the pins with the correct spacing while you mould the plug, rather then using your CIEM.

It's a good question, but as I've noted the left earpiece has misaligned pin sockets, so I'd just as soon use the IEM itself for setting the spacing. The misalignment is slight, but I want to see if letting the IEM set the spacing helps with anything.

For that matter, I used sugru to advantage by using the IEM's body to mould the surface where the plug contacts it. (With a sheet of wax paper in between!) So when finished the plugs should have a nice custom fit. They'll only ever work for one CIEM, but by happy coincidence that's all I've got.

All else being equal, if I was producing cables at a greater rate than one every 2.5 months, or if I was making cables for anything other than my own IEMs, I definitely would get a socket block for the job.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #10,160 of 16,312
Quote:
Experimenting with sort of new (to me) sleeving (new meaning non nylon/paracord/techflex) - a German MDPC-X sleeving. It's a bit more rigid and tough to touch than nylon, but still very flexible which coupled with ultra-flexibile Mogami Mini Quad cable is absolutely nice. The color and general exterior of this sleeving is astonishing! The rest of this cable are the usual suspects known to members of this thread, apart from a custom-made Cocobolo wood y-splitter... 

Very Slick!  I like.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #10,161 of 16,312
Quote:
I think MDPC-X is better than techflex, it's a much thicker and tighter weave much denser so it doesn't catch and rub on fabric like techflex does. Kinda glides over it. I used it in my PC. Very pretty cable.

MDPC is much better.  I've used it many times is PSU cable sleeving and it is about the best thing that's out there. (Not sure if it is the best for microphonics, but the quality is extremely high)
My second favorite would be shoestrings... (Paracord)
Microphonics are somewhat decent with both, but the quality is superb.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #10,162 of 16,312
Unrelated, but still has to do with cables, but the MDPC stuff is gorgeous inside a PC.  Since I individually sleeve my audio wires before braiding, I shouldn't be as shocked, but people who sleeve individual wires in their PSU for computers take obsession to a whole new level.  I build my own PC's but my latest is in a Silverstone breadbox sized case.  No real room to maneuver stuff and I can't see into it to notice great sleeving.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #10,163 of 16,312
Quote:
Unrelated, but still has to do with cables, but the MDPC stuff is gorgeous inside a PC.  Since I individually sleeve my audio wires before braiding, I shouldn't be as shocked, but people who sleeve individual wires in their PSU for computers take obsession to a whole new level.  I build my own PC's but my latest is in a Silverstone breadbox sized case.  No real room to maneuver stuff and I can't see into it to notice great sleeving.

Get obsessed like me and do it anyhow.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know where I can buy (if there are any) carbon fiber connectors? I'm needing at least some minis and some 1/4". Mini xlr would be an extreme plus, but I could do without.
Thanks. :)

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #10,164 of 16,312
Quote:
Get obsessed like me and do it anyhow.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know where I can buy (if there are any) carbon fiber connectors? I'm needing at least some minis and some 1/4". Mini xlr would be an extreme plus, but I could do without.
Thanks. :)

Please don't tempt me.  It is totally something I would try doing.  I love tidiness.

1/4" - been searching forever, can't find any
mini's - These are really nice, although a little fat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rhodium-Plated-3-5mm-1-8-Stereo-Audio-Connector-1-pcs-/260972123078?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cc32693c6
         - I haven't tried these, but I have tried some of the other connectors (knock off Oyaide) and they are decent quality.  I was able to scratch off the cheap Acrolink logo pretty easily:  http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2136.  They have some other variants including right angled.
mini XLR - can't find any.  Full sized has some options, but not mini.  

You can always try to fake it as well by taking the shells from other carbon fiber connectors and seeing if you can fit a mini XLR or 1/4" in there.  There are lots of RCA options out there.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #10,165 of 16,312
 julianbell92 

Re-recabled my Denons, went for a hybrid of Toxic Cables SPC and Copper (for the grounds) in the end. Redoing it gave me the opportunity to correct everything I wasn't quite happy with first time round, like the 4 inch(!) strain relief and the Qables Y-splitter and the Y-split length + difference in distances.

Hey sorry for delay but is that east indian rosewood? 

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #10,166 of 16,312
Quote:
Please don't tempt me.  It is totally something I would try doing.  I love tidiness.

1/4" - been searching forever, can't find any
mini's - These are really nice, although a little fat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rhodium-Plated-3-5mm-1-8-Stereo-Audio-Connector-1-pcs-/260972123078?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cc32693c6
         - I haven't tried these, but I have tried some of the other connectors (knock off Oyaide) and they are decent quality.  I was able to scratch off the cheap Acrolink logo pretty easily:  http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2136.  They have some other variants including right angled.
mini XLR - can't find any.  Full sized has some options, but not mini.  

You can always try to fake it as well by taking the shells from other carbon fiber connectors and seeing if you can fit a mini XLR or 1/4" in there.  There are lots of RCA options out there.

Don't tempt you... 
popcorn.gif

I was thinking of trying to see if I could change some out with others... Going to probably pick up a few in a few days. I'll post about it once I see what happens. Might be a few weeks before that though... lol
It's really too bad that Lee at Cryo-Parts passed. Otherwise, I'd be buying his. They were beautiful. 
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #10,168 of 16,312
Hey All, DJ Fantasia here, Long time lurker, new poster.
I just picked up a pair of Allen and Heath XONE XD2-53 headphones and I'm wanting to build a couple of very colorful custom cables, I'm a working DJ and besides wanting backup cables, I would like to stand out among my peers.  I want to build a 6 ft 3.5 mm mini to mini and 6ft mini to right angle 1/4" Plug, Canare Star Quad wire or maybe Mogami Mini Quad cable or DHC Nucleotide UPOCC copper in a 4 wire round braid with
Yellow Type 1 micro paracord as sleeving for each strand, anyone know where i can get these cables from? I want to get some velour pads that fit the cans. My original cord is threaded on both ends and I would like threaded connectors if possible, however i don't see anyone posting any connectors built this way. I've read the whole thread a couple of times but im still not sure about Constructing the cable.  I would like it to be as flexible as the oem cable that came with the headphones, with a  3.5mm threaded connector on both ends if possible, if not then a connector that fits inside the headphone case (recess). The jack in the cans is recessed and threaded so I'm not sure a regular (not threaded) connector will work. I'm also looking for suggestions for the wire. Update: I brought a 3.5mm 3ft wire from Target it's Monster brand and cost $12 its the iCable 800 mini to mini cable. it has dual balanced conductors and DoubleHelix construction and it fits the headphones perfectly. The barrel of this connector is recessed slightly and I think thats why it fits so well, and is perfect for wearing my cans with my rig in my pocket. I still want to "roll my own" cables so any input would be appreciated. TIAHey All, DJ Fantasia here, Long time lurker, new poster.
I just picked up a pair of Allen and Heath XONE XD2-53 headphones and I'm wanting to build a couple of very colorful custom cables, I'm a working DJ and besides wanting backup cables, I would like to stand out among my peers.  I want to build a 6 ft 3.5 mm mini to mini and 6ft mini to right angle 1/4" Plug, Canare Star Quad wire or maybe Mogami Mini Quad cable or DHC Nucleotide UPOCC copper in a 4 wire round braid with
Yellow Type 1 micro paracord as sleeving for each strand, anyone know where i can get these cables from? I want to get some velour pads that fit the cans. My original cord is threaded on both ends and I would like threaded connectors if possible, however i don't see anyone posting any connectors built this way. I've read the whole thread a couple of times but im still not sure about Constructing the cable.  I would like it to be as flexible as the oem cable that came with the headphones, with a  3.5mm threaded connector on both ends if possible, if not then a connector that fits inside the headphone case (recess). The jack in the cans is recessed and threaded so I'm not sure a regular (not threaded) connector will work. I'm also looking for suggestions for the wire. Update: I brought a 3.5mm 3ft wire from Target it's Monster brand and cost $12 its the iCable 800 mini to mini cable. it has dual balanced conductors and DoubleHelix construction and it fits the headphones perfectly. The barrel of this connector is recessed slightly and I think thats why it fits so well, and is perfect for wearing my cans with my rig in my pocket. I still want to "roll my own" cables so any input would be appreciated. TIA
my cable

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #10,169 of 16,312

Users who are viewing this thread

Back