DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #10,067 of 16,305
Is there anyone that follows/posts in this thread that build custom DIY cables on order? 

I am looking for having a cable for my Quattro Amp and Sennheiser HD650 built. 
A balanced cable with 4pin connector and a y-split to two 1/4 plugs. 

Something similar to the following picture:

Previously I had this cable commissioned by another HF user, but due to some unfortunate shipping issues the original cable never arrived. 

Send me a PM if anyone would be interested.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #10,068 of 16,305
In contrast to my minimalistic Clear USB cable earlier:

Stealth Dualie USB cable:

22awg OFC twisted pair for data
22awg OFC non-twisted pair for power
Mylar foil shield
Copper braid shield
Teflon tape
Nylon multifilament sleeving
Gold plated USB connectors

The power and the data pairs are completely separated and shielded then twisted together to form this behemoth.  This is stiff and heavy enough that it partially lifts my Nuforce HDP off my desk.  This was from my "every cable must be overbuilt" phase.  Definitely going to be more resistant interference than standard USB cables.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #10,069 of 16,305
Good idea on separating signal and power wires Fraggler! Do you use some glue besides adhesive heatshrink to make sure the sleeving doesn't fall off?

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #10,070 of 16,305
Quote:
Good idea on separating signal and power wires Fraggler! Do you use some glue besides adhesive heatshrink to make sure the sleeving doesn't fall off?

I use a touch of hot glue to secure the sleeving at the ends while working, then just adhesive heatshrink to hold it all together.  This way when heated, the glue soaks through the fabric and binds really securely.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #10,071 of 16,305
Quote:

Nice!  I like the purple.

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I loved the colour too. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #10,078 of 16,305
If you leave the resistor out, it'll work with some devices and not with others. There's not really a problem with leaving it out if you have no intention of using it with certain iPods and iPhones. Put the resistor in and you know the LOD will work with every iDevice made.

(For whatever it's worth, the usual recommendation is for a 68K Ohm resistor; you can actually use any combination of resistors in series that add up to 68K ± a couple K Ohms. I've got a working LOD that uses a 47K and 22K -- it works fine.)

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #10,079 of 16,305
OK.  I used to make them with the resistor a couple years ago when I was getting custom requests, but heard with the newer generations that they weren't necessary and stopped.  Also makes it easier to make the super compact LOD's which are more fun.  Thanks for confirming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back