DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 4, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #7,981 of 16,305
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Quote:
Wow. Looks great. I have never worked with the switchcrafts but they look like they are built like tanks. I'm kinda new to all these cable builds. Can I ask what is the benefit of using two different cables for signal and ground?

There is no benefit at all, I only had a metre of the Cardas left.

Quote:
That's one heck of a beautiful cable! Where did you get the silk sleeve?

The sleeving (2.5mm inner dia.) is from Partsconnexion at $2.60 a foot.

Quote:

That looks awesome.  I think gold-plated RCAs would have been better in order to match the mini plug.

I agree, didn't realize that gold ones were available at the time - shall have to upgrade!

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7,982 of 16,305
being silly more than anything - my buddy coolbean is about to recable his grados, so while we are waiting on paracord and OF-Cu, he decided to put the cable from a set of iems i had on there...

this is the result - per his ear-dyno, the mids are recessed, bass is more present, clarity is untouched

will post up pics of the real recable once it's complete :)

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #7,983 of 16,305

Here are my Ultrasone Edition 9 that I have modified using a neutrik female 3.5 mm plug. I didn't like the sight of cables coming out of the cups, so I opted for this "cleaner" look. Now I have the liberty of using many of my cables with these cans.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #7,984 of 16,305
Nothing to say just didn't want to keep having to go so far down in my following list to find this thread. And nice cables everyone, wish i didn't have so many things on my to do list, or else i would be showing off some cable i made.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #7,985 of 16,305
Or you could just subscribe.  =\

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #7,988 of 16,305

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #7,990 of 16,305

Quote:
This is the DIY cable gallery. Please post pics of your custom made interconnects, power cords, speaker cables, mini-to-mini cables, mini-rca cables, headphone rewires and anything else relevant. Should make for some fun eyecandy.

Please keep posts in this thread limited to images and specs of DIY cables and comments relating directly to them. This is a gallery first and foremost.

1. People wishing to speak about cables in general, please visit the HeadFi Cable Forum

Handy Links and How-to Pages:
  1. Parts Express DIY IEC power Cable
  2. Jon Risch's  Audio DIY Notes
  3. Rane Sound System Interconnection

Here's a few of my first cables:

[size=large]INTERCONNECTS[/size]
Sleeve: Teflon
Conductor: Pure silver 5ns (99.999) 24ga. x2
Config: Triple braid (one sleeve empty)
Termination: Eichmann Bullets
Approximate Materials Cost: $65
ICsPerSm.jpg

[size=large]POWER CORD[/size]
Sleeve: Teflon
Conductor: Silver Plated OFC 10ga. x3
Config: Twisted Pair (ground wrapped around outside)
Termination: Marinco 8215 and Wattgate 320
Approximate Materials Cost: $65
PwrCrdPerSm.jpg

To give credit where credit is due: I've borrowed a couple facets of the designs from Bogdan audio for the ICs and John Risch for the PC.

...as you can see below, I've gotten a little better in 6 years :wink:

The wiring on these Denon's is boss.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #7,992 of 16,305
'Bout the only ones I've seen are the Kobiconn jacks you can get a number of places such as Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300960.pdf

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back