DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 5, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #7,667 of 16,305
That looks badass, but microphonic as hell, I imagine.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #7,670 of 16,305
The heatshrinked twisted wires are a bit microphonic but it doesn't really bother me. I barely hear it when it rubs against cotton but it's clearly audible when I run my finger across it.

EDIT: oh, the cables hardly ever touch when they're on so it's not a big problem.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #7,671 of 16,305
The heatshrinked twisted wires are a bit microphonic but it doesn't really bother me. I barely hear it when it rubs against cotton but it's clearly audible when I run my finger across it.

EDIT: oh, the cables hardly ever touch when they're on so it's not a big problem.

Exactly. I think many of you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Instead of intentionally yrying to brush the wires up against clothing or running you fingers on it, put the phones on and listen. I barely hear anything because most of the time it's not touching anything but air. If these were portable phones and I was using them on the go, then maybe, but for home use or casual use, I really don't see a problem.

Again, just my two cents, what do I know :rolleyes:.

Brendan

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #7,672 of 16,305
since my CLAS wont come in time for my Stacker II, I was forced - Forced I Say! to make a dual RCA LOD so I wouldnt have to stare at the stacker II for days waiting for the CLAS.   Life is hard.
biggrin.gif

switchcraft rca's.. you know the rest.

click to enlarge - a lot

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #7,673 of 16,305

Quote:
Exactly. I think many of you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Instead of intentionally yrying to brush the wires up against clothing or running you fingers on it, put the phones on and listen. I barely hear anything because most of the time it's not touching anything but air. If these were portable phones and I was using them on the go, then maybe, but for home use or casual use, I really don't see a problem.
Again, just my two cents, what do I know
rolleyes.gif
Brendan

Well I have to disagree. On mine the cables crossed each other and touched when I moved making unberable sounds. I guess it depends how soft the heatshink is but a softer material is much better. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #7,674 of 16,305
If you've read my reply you would realize that my argument was directed towards the reasoning that using any heatshrink will cause microphonics without regard to the application at hand. I don't know about you but when I put a pair of phones on they usually stay on my head and thus the wires after the split never really touch anything. Certainly I will not unconsciously touch it with my hand. Therefore IMO I see no real reason why heatshrink should be shunned. Like you said there are many variants and a dozen suppliers, who knows?

Brendan

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #7,676 of 16,305
Sorry I don't know where to ask this and didn't want to start a thread; is it possible to repair/replace a broken jack on a pair of UE700s? They were plugged into my laptop and someone stepped on them, snapping the jack off in the computer...How would i go about repairing this or is it just done?

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #7,677 of 16,305
You cut off the remains of the stock plug then remove some of the outer jacket.  Then you should have 3-4 exposed wires that are probably enamel-coated.  You burn off the enamel with a lighter carefully, tin the exposed copper, then you are ready to add a new plug.
One of the wires will most likely be red (right channel), but I'm not sure what the others will be (left channel and ground, but I don't know what colors).  If you have two wires that are the same color, those will be the ground wires which you solder both to the ground tab on the plug, red to the second smallest tab, then the remaining wire goes on the smallest tab.
Add epoxy and screw on the barrel and leave out to dry 25 hours.  Then you enjoy your music through them once more.  =]

There are threads around with pictures with this kind of thing if you search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back