DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 3, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #7,396 of 16,305
just ordered 4m of mogami so hopefully that should do me :)

Quote:
what cable is best to use for a hd555 mic mod recable with y cord?

if i use starquad cable am i able to use the shielding to ground the mic? otherwise i have to run another cable

i can get van damme tour grade starquad, mogami 2893, canare l-4e5c, canare l-4e6s

which would be the best to use?

bit off topic aswell bt whats the best connector for a mic? 3.5, 3.5 locking, lemo etc? i dont want to spend to much :)

thanks

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #7,397 of 16,305

Quote:
Thought I would try a silver cable to see what difference it would make. I used teflon covered 19 strand silver cable, cardas HPSC connectors, neutrik 3.5mm jack and some of the quad solder. I was quit surprised but it did certainly make a difference to the sound over an OFC one I was using before. here are some pics of it in production

Great job. It looks a bit stiff, doesn't it?

BTW nice picture quality, what camera you use?

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #7,398 of 16,305

It just looks stiff in the pic... It is not much stiffer then the standard steel one that comes with the HD25 but it is only a first attempt - I will make the next one with some kevlar woven in for added strength. The camera is an old battered EOS 400d with a 50mm f1.8 lens - looking to update it soon but it still takes nice pics
Quote:
Great job. It looks a bit stiff, doesn't it?

BTW nice picture quality, what camera you use?

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #7,399 of 16,305
Not common but it works :)

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #7,401 of 16,305
Sep 5, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #7,403 of 16,305
Just two quick snaps of my latest:

Orange Mogami 2534 w. black Techflex and oversize Rean minijack plug. This one is 1 meter long and the first of a batch of cables. Gonna make a 3 meter version and a matching USB -> Mini usb cable. Orange Mogami under black Techflex is looking really slick, actually... Will be used with Ultrasone HFI780 after I mod them with a Mini-xlr connector so he can swap the cables as needed.

And a slightly different one:

Mogami 2893 w. UV-reactive neon yellow Techflex. Made for a DJ, will be used with his Pioneer HDJ-2000. Gonna look awfully cool when he's playing under UV-lighting (blacklight) and the cable lights up 
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #7,404 of 16,305
I'm contemplating recabling my HE-6. Already have a spare set of plugs for the earcups. The goal is mostly to have a more flexible, slightly longer cable - the stock cable sounds pretty nice, and isn't microphonic, but the stiffness (and long rigid shrinkwrap that extends to about 3" below the cups) is distracting.

The plan is to terminate to a 4-pin XLR, and then build a couple adaptors: XLR --> 6.3mm TRS, and XLR --> 4-wire pigtail, to plug into amplifier speaker outs.

HiFiMan uses a standard-size 4-pin XLR on the stock cable, but I'm wondering whether I can use a mini-XLR instead since I'm building a whole set of cables. The main advantage being that I can build a relatively short headphones -> XLR cable and long XLR -> amp cables without the weight of the XLR being a nuisance. And then once that's done, in the future I can make further cables any length and connector type I want without having to special-order more HiFiMan headphone plugs.

So the main questions here are:
1. What do you recommend for a supple and good-sounding (your opinion) wire, and who's an economical source for it?
2. Are there any downsides to using 4-pin mini-XLR for this purpose, other than possibly being harder for a newbie to solder?

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #7,405 of 16,305
Too much time :)

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #7,407 of 16,305
Better shots of my two latest cables, both happened to be 3.5mm to mini-xlr :)

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #7,408 of 16,305
Sep 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #7,409 of 16,305

After ruining another plug trying to solder ground to it I tried some solder-less designs with great success.
Valab solder-less plugs combined with red canare starquad and black clean-cut multifilament techflex.

You can slightly notice it from the third picture, but you can see the red color underneath creating a nice effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back