DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #7,096 of 16,305
so you took a microphonic cable and put microphonic clear techflex on it? seems an odd choice for customs that are directly plugged into your ears. no matter how soft the wire gets the techflex will remain microphonic, worse than the wire.

looks nice though

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #7,097 of 16,305

Quote:
so you took a microphonic cable and put microphonic clear techflex on it? seems an odd choice for customs that are directly plugged into your ears. no matter how soft the wire gets the techflex will remain microphonic, worse than the wire.

looks nice though

As surprising as it gets techflex reduces microphonics in this case. The worst are caused by bare wires from spliter.

As said before I'll report in sometime. Even now after two day I can tell that cable is getting softer. Will see.

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #7,098 of 16,305

Quote:
Yeah GPOCC 26AWG is quite stiff. But from my experience solid cores are getting softer over time. Will see in few months. Microphonics are very present. Though I havent been walking outside my house with it yet. Will report later.
My 26AWG silver is very soft now after a year of constant use, but it's got softer after a month or so.
The best for IEMs would wire made from few strands of 32AWG solid core per channel, but there's no one selling. I've already thought about buying a lot of 28 or 30AWG solid and stranding it to 24AWG. It will be soft enough I guess.

32 would be too small, 26-28 would be perfect. I replaced my um3x non removable cable version and with 26awg I still have plenty of space inside to design my own wire entries using some heatshrink to replace the old one.
well, never knew solid core wires could get softer over time. if I used any solid core one to make IC I would bend it only once :p

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #7,099 of 16,305

Quote:
I realize this isn't exactly "head-fi" but I thought some might like the look.

I do a lot of custom cabling, experimental electronic instruments for my own needs and for other people as well.

10 meter 4 channel multicore extension
Canford cabling, cheap neutrik clone xlr plugs(not convinced about their quality ...), paracord sleeving(I already use these colours for all my personal cable wraps so the gear is easy to identify).

That looks very nice.

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #7,103 of 16,305

Quote:
Ok I got my hand on UE connectors and Viablue sexy-slim-jacks.

Now, this is my tribute to all of the cables I have made :)

Viablue 3,5mm slim plug. By far the best plug I've ever worked with. Clear tech-flex

Very simple spliter

UE pins + customs UM 3-way

Used parts:
Clarivoyant golden plated solid core copper 26AWG
Custom UE 2pin plugs
Viable slim jack 3,5mm
Clear teflon tubing 24AWG.
Clear tech-flex
Clear heatshrinks

Sound: exeptional. Very different from solid silver. Sound is massive with big bass and very polite treble. It's smooth, intimate yet clear and dynamic.

The only problem is its stiffness. But AFAIR solid silver core was also as stiff as plated copper. So I hope it will soften just as my silver did.

Awesome job man! Hmmm just want to ask where did you source the 2pin connectors? Anyone else out there with a source for these connectors?

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #7,104 of 16,305

Quote:
Where can I get this Piccolino Wire thats so hyped here?

Good luck to you. So far only place I know is Jaben in Singapore which sells products made from Piccolino, Parrots sometime back mentioned a supplier in Germany.

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #7,105 of 16,305

Quote:
32 would be too small, 26-28 would be perfect. I replaced my um3x non removable cable version and with 26awg I still have plenty of space inside to design my own wire entries using some heatshrink to replace the old one.
well, never knew solid core wires could get softer over time. if I used any solid core one to make IC I would bend it only once :p

I was talking about making strands from 32AWG for example 6-7 strands in one wire. This would make wire more flexible.
Yes, SC are getting softer. My old SSC can be warped around one finger and then it goes back by itself.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #7,106 of 16,305
Hi, I'm loving this thread, it's such an inspiration but sorry to go OT but can someone recommend me some cables in a mod I am about to undertake please.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/566202/sennheiser-hd595-mic-modification-gaming

I guess if I give my self a bit of time later in the evening I can go through this thread and draw some ideas, but I don't want to accidently buy the wrong cable.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #7,109 of 16,305
Aug 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #7,110 of 16,305

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back