DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 9, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #6,766 of 16,305
Speaking of Sennheiser... Finally ditched that god-awful connector...every aspect of that connector was flawed.
it slipped out of the jack if you breathed on it wrong, it was super long, when you swiveled it into a right angle connector (a great concept) it stuck out so far that it was just ridiculous. 

boy was the wire a pain to work with.  the insulation was industrial strength rubber.. i tell ya i'm never gonna break this cable on accident.. sheesh... 
I definitely love neutrik connectors... Though now i'm tempted to redo it without the middle metal tube.. but then i wont get the benefit of their awesome strain relief system. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #6,767 of 16,305
Nice work on those Senn cables, Chris_Himself.  What gage wire did you use for them?  I was considering using some Mogami mini star quad I had on hand, and taking the 24 awg wire inside and making a cable for my HD650's to practice braiding. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #6,768 of 16,305
26 AWG Mundorf Silver Mogami kicks ass, but I like Canare Starquad because it's grey. Both sound about the same. The problem is the wire that comes out of both of them are like 11AWG which so add it all up and you have a pretty beefy cable!

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #6,769 of 16,305

My recabled SR-60's that I bought just to prove a point that cables do make a difference.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #6,771 of 16,305
I hate romanticizing what things are supposed to sound like but I definitely have to say this is some NIGHT and DAY stuff and that every penny that it cost and was well worth the effort/materials. Sadly you'll just have to take my word for it... thats the crappy thing with audiophilia.

That being said, I don't have words to accurately describe it other than everything is improved, it tends to balance out the brightness pretty well with a more pronounced midrange. The bass isn't affected but on proper recordings of drum solos, the bass is even tighter/faster and it extends deeper than before but you don't get more of it. No boomyness though. The treble on my SF5's went from being pretty bright all the way into a rolloff into being really clear and instead of a rolloff (when it gets all quiet and buzzy?), it'll actually just accurately play frequencies it wasn't able to before...

To sum it all up, I owned a pair of SR 225's from ALO (big stranded UPOCC copper) that were a fair deal better than RS-2's recabled. I don't know/care what science goes into that, but after that I've been a huge recable junkie from the moment I pulled those things out of the box and plugged them in to the first availible source I had. Now I just own Furutech recabled SR-225's. Give me 100 hours to burn these in and I should be able to tell you which is better at the end of the day. The point of me even buying 60's when I have 225's is to ultimately prove that recabling works and that silver is better than copper at the same grade. (only to myself, I avoid posting comparisons on head-fi like the devil)

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #6,772 of 16,305
Nice cable Chris_Himself! I like the wood accents.

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but can anyone point me to a guide for recabling Grados (particularly opening them up and putting them back together)? The search feature hasn't been too helpful to me.

Nevermind I found one!! Just had to look a little deeper into the threads

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #6,774 of 16,305
No guide. It's just 4 wires of whatever material you want to use + any heatshrink tube + any nylon sheathing you use. In this case it was nylon and teflon dielectric 99.9999 silver of the 26AWG flavor. The connectors are of the Cardas HPSC rhodium variety. Be sure to use the 1/4" techflex sleeve from homegrown! Makes this look like the 200-300 dollar cables for like 4 bucks.

Thanks for the kind words! My default album is full of pics if you want to take a gander!

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6,776 of 16,305
I like chunky plugs!

Cyberspyder are you a fellow USN brother? 

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #6,778 of 16,305
Learning to build cables with a small project first, a couple of LOD's for my iPhone to the mini^3 I built a few weeks ago.  On the left is a low profile one that I made to practice with using a sawed off Neutrik right angle connector.  On the right is an LOD made with 24 awg solid core silver wire from homegrownaudio terminated with a knockoff Palic straight connector (didn't have any strain relief so I had to improvise).  Solid core silver wire is a bit too stiff though. 

With the practice soldering and braiding, I think I'm ready to try a headphone cable for my Sennheiser HD650's now. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #6,779 of 16,305
Epoxy - strong stuff!

funny thing happened today.
I reterminated my earbuds again last night with a neutrik right angle.  I made it the extra small way by attaching the rubber directly to the threads like many people do.
I was concerned about strain relief, so i decided to fill the connector with putty epoxy.  I was confident this would make for a solid connection, and ease my concerns about strain relief.... boy was i right.

i was walking with my headphones on today, wire under my shirt, clip+ clipped to my belt.
there must have been the slightest bit of wire sticking out because the next thing i knew i felt a strong tug and heard a SNAP!

but the music never stopped...
i looked down to find my clip+ dangling down, still attached to my headphones, still playing music, but the clip had torn off the back of the player.

well... this looks like job for super glue! 
wink.gif

at least i know now beyond a shadow of a doubt that my connector is sound. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #6,780 of 16,305
I just ordered some Canare 4S11, some carbon techflex, ViaBlue 1/4" plug and Splitter, and some red and black heatshrink.  I ordered enough for two cables, one of which is going in my AluMod SR80i 's.  The other I'm not sure what cans it's going in yet.  Once I make it home from Afghan and get them made I'll post some pics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back