DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #6,661 of 16,305
I'm in France and I never heard anything bad about Vialblue.
In addition they are very easy to use and high quality manufacturing!
I think that's the price break that problem ...

Anyway, it suits me perfectly
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #6,662 of 16,305

Quote:
Here are some of my DIY cables

Optical Cable Toslink to Mini-Toslink

What kind of optical fiber is in there?

Quote:
very pro looking cables.. nice work.  Those viablue connectors just look so cool to me.

this would be a great time for me to ask why so many people seem to not like viablue connectors?
hard to work with?
poor durability?
too big?
produce strange whispering voices in cables?
music plays backwards?

I love the way they look, but lots of people seem to poo poo them on this thread. 

I agree, very nice work. I love the Viablues except for portable use, they are too big.

May 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #6,664 of 16,305

Quote:
the problem with viablue is the plastic parts holding the connector together on the inside. it looks nice and solid on the outside but once you open it up you know it isn't the quality you're paying a premium for.

I agree with you, Viablue is one of those overpriced brands that sells pretentious audio gear full of golden parts....Sorry Viablue fans...

May 5, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6,666 of 16,305
One thing I noticed today was that the type of wire and brand can change a headphones signature more than I thought. People seem to say otherwise. For example, I use the Canare Starquad and it seemed to add some extra mid-bass and seemed to smooth over the treble of my HD-650. I've heard it will add warmth to a headphone and I think this is true. It also gives me the impression of very slightly more forward mids, but probably not. Do any of you agree with these impressions of the Canare Starquad? Seems like it's rolling off the highs slightly and a little more than the stock cable. The difference here is VERY minor when I listened to them.

I temporarily switched to my stock HD-650 cable and it has much more treble and specific songs aren't as smooth sounding. I prefer the Canare cable still since it seems to add in some extra detail. I don't think the differences are huge, but a little more than subtle.

Now I'm thinking of trying the Mogami Starquad for my HD-650 and that may be a better match. Anyone have a preference for an HD-650?

Due to what the Canare sounds like for me, I think it will be the PERFECT match for the K702 and I'll know soon. It's treble is a bit bothersome with some music, despite it being the recording sometimes.

Any other good Starquad wire to try? Gotham or maybe Redco TGS? Both are cheap. I want to try Cardas someday, but I haven't found a good US supplier of it in bulk yet. I prefer cheaper cable, but would like to try the more expensive stuff sometime just to hear it with my ears.

May 5, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #6,668 of 16,305
Parrots it can be pulled off??

Ok looks like I'll have to grab a plug and try that. Won't be soon since I'm picking up some rhodium plated plugs from vintage audio lab for far cheaper than oyaide and viablue.

Edit: Actually Parrots would you mind sending me a pic of how the plastic on the inside can be removed? If the internal construction is 100% metal or bronze, I'll have to run out and pick up 5 of them for my Grado cable, since I prefer the colour scheme.

May 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #6,673 of 16,305
Experimenting with Fuze LOD.  
biggrin.gif
  I know its ugly, but I don't use it for the looks.  I call this creation  MICKY MOUSE LOD.

May 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #6,674 of 16,305
@hi_q,
Electrolytics in the signal path, r u sure about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back