DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 5, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #6,316 of 16,305
Hey Now,

Here is a Fostex T40 v1 I re-cabled with Cat6 ethernet cable. I went dual entry balanced with this re-cable job (while modding the T40s). I stripped the sheathing off the ethernet cable and had 8 wires (26awg I think) in 4 twisted pairs. I braided the 4 pairs and used white heat shrink from the cups to the yoke. The Y-split is just heat shrink. I used a soldering iron to poke the two entry holes in the cups, removed the female plug on the T40 and filled with epoxy and re-terminated with a Neutrik 4-pin XLR.

The ethernet wire is stiff and microphonic. 
confused_face(1).gif
 Maybe the braid is too tight. It is colorful to say the least, and cheap, less than 5 bucks for 6 feet 
tongue_smile.gif
 . . . . . and it sounds pretty good.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #6,318 of 16,305
I am actively combing over this thread, but in the meantime I figured someone could answer my question.
Is it possible to put techflex and cable pants over rectangular speaker cable, or do you have to use the in wall stuff?
Has anyone done this?
Any pictures of what it looks like?

This is the exact wire I have (5.4 mm x 10.8 mm)...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2

Which size techflex and pants would you recommend for this wire?
Thanks.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #6,319 of 16,305
Unfortunately the plug on my pair of RE0s went bad causing the right channel to go AWOL. I installed a Neutrik plug and sleeved the cable in nylon while I was at it. I also removed the metal piece to keep the wires from tangling because I don't ever use it and it looks ugly with the new sleeving. :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #6,322 of 16,305
indeed love the soft nylon, its the only sleeving I will use on headphone cables, everything else may look nice, but always too microphonic. not much point going for the last 10% with a nice cable then ruining it with a horrible grating noise to back it up.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #6,323 of 16,305
Hi Parrots very nice guide, you should put it in your sig so its easier to find. And don't mind the hostile replies, their opinion is irrelevant.

kindest regards, Peter

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #6,324 of 16,305
Some Grado 225i love:

r00248053729459.jpg

r00247893703734.jpg

Some changes compared to my earlier recables, I experimented with a barrel y-spliy (some of you may remember I was quite fond of the 3:1 heatshrink then clamp method), and I have to say it doesn't look too shabby. Although I now know for sure I won't be using Gorilla Glue to pot the inside of the split - it EXPANDS EVERYWHERE (look at the slightly shiny sleeving right above the split)! ( Sticking with epoxy for the future.

For those of you that want to know the materials I used:

-Mogami mini-quad (I love this stuff seriously!)
-Switchcraft mini plug (ditto to the above)
-Neutrik mini plug barrel (sacrificed a $0.66 plug)
-Mylon multifilament/paracord
-Ingenuity :D

Regards, Brendan

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #6,325 of 16,305

Quote:
Some Grado 225i love:

r00248053729459.jpg

r00247893703734.jpg

Some changes compared to my earlier recables, I experimented with a barrel y-spliy (some of you may remember I was quite fond of the 3:1 heatshrink then clamp method), and I have to say it doesn't look too shabby. Although I now know for sure I won't be using Gorilla Glue to pot the inside of the split - it EXPANDS EVERYWHERE (look at the slightly shiny sleeving right above the split)! ( Sticking with epoxy for the future.

For those of you that want to know the materials I used:

-Mogami mini-quad (I love this stuff seriously!)
-Switchcraft mini plug (ditto to the above)
-Neutrik mini plug barrel (sacrificed a $0.66 plug)
-Mylon multifilament/paracord
-Ingenuity
biggrin.gif

Regards, Brendan

Very nice looking recable, Brendan. Did you use the Neutrik plug barrel in the Y-split and glue everything in, then heatshrink over it?

Also, what is your "3:1 heatshrink then clamp method"? Adhesive heatshrink over the Y-split, heat, then use needle-nose pliers to clamp between the two split parts?

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #6,326 of 16,305
Probably THEE most ghetto thing you guys have ever seen.   Forgive the messy desk.  My first LOD...AND IT WORKS!! never felt so proud in my life, haha.  Also, being my first, it was also a personal test to see if I could do it.  Now its time to buy some cleaner parts and do this for real!!  If you guys are wondering, all the parts I used, I stripped from random things I had laying around, for instance, the cables I used came from a phone charger, lol.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #6,327 of 16,305
Clean looking pair of Grados and congrats on your first working LOD!

I too have finished my first working LOD (did it before, but now it works with my iTouch as well :)).

Same recipe I used before. 4x24g solid silver wire, 68kohm resistor, Qables dock, silver reflective sleeving + carbon sleeving over that. My take on a boutique LOD. I think it sounds better than the Fiio LOD I have, too. :)

My iPod hasn't looked so professional before with this LOD and my sleeved pair of RE-0s. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #6,328 of 16,305
Wire nice LOD apatn! I have ordered a pair of those stereo jacks myself. Where do you get the silver wire if you don't mind me asking?

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #6,329 of 16,305
Thanks!

The wire was attached to my DT880 when I bought it, but I know it comes from Qables. Those jacks are the nicest I have ever come across and are not too expensive either. They are a big and your wire has to be big enough for the screws to grip onto, though. I like to use adhesive heat shrink for this. It looks great with some heat shrink too, imo. Just a tip. :)
Perhaps Qables isn't the best source for this as I think Qables has some high prices. On Ebay you can get stranded silver wire which will be more flexible.

Hehe, I also ruined some docks, but now I know how to make them properly. I actually had this LOD done and it would disconnect from my iTouch at random.. Couldn't understand, but with a new dock the problem is gone. Perhaps all the desoldering (the previous dock was my test case) and hot glue ruined some of the pins or the inserts. Parrots, use flux when you are soldering pins that are this small. It will make making LODs a LOT easier. :)

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #6,330 of 16,305

Quote:
Clean looking pair of Grados and congrats on your first working LOD!

I too have finished my first working LOD (did it before, but now it works with my iTouch as well :)).

Same recipe I used before. 4x24g solid silver wire, 68kohm resistor, Qables dock, silver reflective sleeving + carbon sleeving over that. My take on a boutique LOD. I think it sounds better than the Fiio LOD I have, too. :)

My iPod hasn't looked so professional before with this LOD and my sleeved pair of RE-0s. 
beerchug.gif

Mmm I see Valab jack, nice! great stuff mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back