DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #5,898 of 16,305
Sweet thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it.  Very excited to start making my own cables...heh sure the first few will be crap but live and learn i say 

have a great day all

Tinker97

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #5,900 of 16,305
After much thinking about cable design philosophy, I decided to try minimizing the cable. If it sounds good after some listening tests, I may hardwire power cable to equipment, or (more reasonable) make a male to female iec adapter without any wires.

http://img5.imageshack.us/g/cimg0546j.jpg/

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #5,902 of 16,305
Hey Head-Fi.  This is actually the first LOD i've made.  It started as a minimal ipod dock to 3.5mm plug with about an inch of wire in between.  Originally I wanted it to be as low profile as possible but I soon realized how difficult that actually was.  My final product wasn't very aesthetically pleasing so I decided to have some fun with it.  Making a very long story short, I give you my LEECH-out-dock.  It actually sounds really nice and I doubt It'll ever break.  I based the appearance of my leech on the first photo that came up when searching on google.  A weird choice I know, but it already looked like one and I thought it was kind of a cool concept.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #5,905 of 16,305
AKG K701 Dual Entry Recable.

Ingredients ~ Canare L-4E5S Cable, Neutrik NP3X-B Jack Plug, Braided Expandable Sleeving & Adhesive Heat Shrink.

My first attempt at a headphone recable, took a day to make and fit.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #5,906 of 16,305
Hahaha thanks, I actually tried pretty hard to get the slimely look.  I used a wood putty from home depot for the shape.  After painting it I used clear elmer's glue to give it some texture and used a thick gloss glaze to try to give it a slimey appearance.  This was my first soldering experience and I've gotta say that i'm hooked.  Going to try a cmoy soon as well.  

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #5,907 of 16,305
Thanks for explaining how you made it, I thought you were just playing a joke because of how shiny and odd it looked lol. Amazing job :p If I was that creative I would make all my cables like that.

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #5,908 of 16,305

Quote:
You should use some flux, those cold solder will always break.

Quote:
Francisco said:

IDE Cable. Shortest/smallest cable I've made so far, no noticeable changes in sound to my ears. My attempt with enamel copper wire broke, the soldering points were too weak.

Quote:
Quote:
Red_Devil_24 said:

You should use some flux, those cold solder will always break.

Possible his iron wasn't hot enough as well, or the wires weren't tinned, who knows
confused_face.gif

It's still working after all this time (and some ocasional abuse), without sound degradation, even if the solder isn't shiny enough for the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back