DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 17, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #4,591 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by 32y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished braiding some wire I'm going to use for a recable. How does it look, isn't it too tight?

Is it for your DT880s? Looks stiff to me. What wire is it?

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #4,593 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by blaken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post of this cable was #4561 I read every post between that one and this one before I posted and at no point did you state what the cable make up was.

From your flippant response I assume at some time in the past you made a different cable or some one else did with the same components and they(you) posted what it was and where to source them. Your suggestion is to assume that if some one posted a cable some one else prior has explained what the components are and where to source them. You should read all prior pages to make absolutely sure no one else has made a similar cable and given the part and source.

If these questions annoy you then why not just post the cable makeup in the thread when you post the image?

It looks like you did post another set of cables in post #4530 and then when asked in post #4537 you said that you got them from a local retailer that no longer sells them. Unless I am missing a post you never did state what brand the RCAs were. I would suggest from now on if you make more cables with these ends to put in the post that they were sourced locally and the brand is unknown.

Including myself three (3) people have asked you what ends those were between your original post and this one. Think of how much nicer it would have been if you had just typed "Sorry, I got them locally and I don't know the manufacturer" That's even less typing then your response.

Sorry to have bothered you.

I never mentioned a brand because there was no brand. They were ordered by a local retailer and sold in bulk. People like you who assume that it is their god given right that people answer to them, live under the false impression that they are owed something. You're asking for advice, don't forget that.

I've already told you they were sold out and many other options have been listed since by other members. HGA makes great WBT style RCAs for the price and are probably your best option without paying the ridiculous sums charged by WBT. I see no point of your question given the information already available.

Bottom line; this is a cable gallery and you have no right to impose your own rules on other posters; you're not a mod or an admin. I like seeing and posting pictures, I think posting specifications takes away from what we're doing here, which is creating cable art. By the 300th page, everyone here has seen every type of cable built and every type of wire used, I don't think it's necessary to post specs every time we post pictures.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #4,594 of 16,305
k701smile.gif
LoL ok this is my last post on this matter. I seriously laughed for a good 10 seconds while reading this post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there was no brand.

Thanks for answering my question.

Quote:

People like you who assume that it is their god given right that people answer to them, live under the false impression that they are owed something. You're asking for advice, don't forget that.

The entire purpose of a forum, especially a DIY forum, is the exchange of ideas and information. This statement goes against everything DIY communities stand for. If you didn't want to answer the question that is perfectly fine but boasting about the number of people that seem to be harassing you about these cables and making an off hand remark is insulting.

Quote:

I've already told you they were sold out and many other options have been listed since by other members. HGA makes great WBT style RCAs for the price and are probably your best option without paying the ridiculous sums charged by WBT. I see no point of your question given the information already available.

This is all good information and I thank you for it. The only flaw is that this part of the conversation occurred before the post I quoted. I don't follow this thread. I read the first 45 pages and the last few trying to find a decent looking cable when I ran across yours I simply asked about it thinking I had found the cable I wanted to make I did not go further back in the threads. I asked a simple question and did expect a simple answer not an insult. Not because it is my "god given right" but because that's just what decent people do.

Quote:

Bottom line; this is a cable gallery and you have no right to impose your own rules on other posters; you're not a mod or an admin. I like seeing and posting pictures, I think posting specifications takes away from what we're doing here, which is creating cable art.

You are absolutely correct I am not a mod or an admin I mostly lurk and give out information when I have the right answer and occasionally ask a few questions. I was simply trying to make a suggestion to cut down on the chatter. If the information was there already people wouldn't ask for it. This is the part of the post that really got me laughing. If you go back and read the first 40 pages or so of this thread almost all of them had the exact components of their cables in the original post.

I won't be posting in this thread again, I am clearly not an artist. I do want to thank all of the others who help people and apologize for this long drawn out OT post. I will delete all of my posts at the end of the week from this thread.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #4,595 of 16,305
Quote:

The entire purpose of a forum, especially a DIY forum, is the exchange of ideas and information. This statement goes against everything DIY communities stand for. If you didn't want to answer the question that is perfectly fine but boasting about the number of people that seem to be harassing you about these cables and making an off hand remark is insulting.

It was not meant as an insult, I was just stating fact. This matter had just been covered and I don't think asking someone to read through the recent pages of the thread is too much too ask. I don't know where you got the idea that I was "boasting" but that was not the case.

Quote:

If you go back and read the first 40 pages or so of this thread almost all of them had the exact components of their cables in the original post.

The first 40 pages. We are now on page 307.

______

Now back on topic:

Braiding looks nice and tight 32y0. Be sure to post a pic when you're done!

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #4,596 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by 32y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is for the DT880s and it is this wire; Qables | High Quality Custom Made Qables

Well of course you can use it for your DT880s but I personally would not. Firstly it looks stiff and secondly I would not use silver with DT880s but copper.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4,597 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well of course you can use it for your DT880s but I personally would not. Firstly it looks stiff and secondly I would not use silver with DT880s but copper.

Yes it is a bit stiff, but why would you use copper in stead of silver. Moon Audio seems to recommend silver for the DT880; Moon-Audio.com

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #4,600 of 16,305
If there's only one strand, that means it's solid core silver. That being said, as long as you take care of it, you won't get kinkage or issues with snapped conductors. The primary reason I see people having problems with solid core headphone re-wires is because of improper use or improper execution of the cable. Stranded is obviously preferred for durability purposes but it just leaves you more room to mis-handle your cables.

The only issue I've had with solid silver breaking in a headphone cable was a Blacksilver re-cable done by Headphile. The wire gauge was far too small and the paper thin teflon dielectric did nothing to help this; the conductor snapped near the driver junction. The wire you bought has a nice thick PE dielectric so you should be fine so long as you don't abuse it. As a side note, you'll either want to work very quickly with that wire when soldering or slide some heatshrink over the insulation at the ends to keep it from melting from the heat.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #4,604 of 16,305
its been almost a year since ive touched my soldering iron let alone make a cable...i was so rusty it took me 6 and a half hours to finish this RCA-RCA cable
confused_face.gif
sheesh!

anyway...my latest creation...uni-directional RCA-RCA cables for use from my Fubar II USB DAC to my Battery Cute II Headamp.

Canare F10 RCA Plugs
Canare L-4E6S StarQuad
WBT Silver Solder
Sleeved with shoelaces (yes, shoelaces)

dsc02903nn.jpg

closeup of the sleeves...

dsc02908q.jpg

dsc02907b.jpg

didnt turn out as nice as i'd hope.....but itll still work the same
L3000.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #4,605 of 16,305
ahhhhhhhhhh my 3.5-3.5mm just died!!!!!! Grrr, wish i could make DIY's...everything in stores that's decent is sooo expensive...T.T"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back