DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #4,561 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want to make myself a DIY cable...but it looks hard xD

It's really not too tough. I started small with some cheap parts, so that if I butchered something I wouldn't be out much money.

My first project was a mini-to-mini that I made from braided strands of CAT5 network cable and some Neutrik connectors. (I bought Neutrik in case I didn't screw up
tongue.gif
). I made two and by the second one I was making much better solders that looked much more professional.

My next project was a Jena Labs Ultrawire cable for a pair of K701's. That one ended badly as I overheated the drivers pins and fried them
frown.gif

I've ordered some Cardas Sennheiser connectors so I can use the Jena Labs cable on my HD580's.

BTW Skyline889, really nice work. It looks almost exactly like Fidelity Audios Enthusiast IC except for the model of RCA you used.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #4,562 of 16,305
Been lurking for a while but here's my first ever cabling and soldering effort, replacing a broken cable.

Huge thanks to cyberspyder for paving the way and brschmid for closeups of 3.5mm stereo jack solder points. If it wasn't for you guys I never would have even thought this was an option.

Materials:
Canare L2E5 2-strand shielded cable
Neutrik 3.5mm jack
9mm 3:1 black heatshrink
5mm 2:1 clear heatshrink
3mm black Flexo CCPET sleeving
skinny cable ties and glue for strain relief

I was actually after 4-strand starquad but ordered the wrong cable and thought I may as well take a crack at it. I ran separate lengths of L2E5 for each ear, using both strands in each for the left and right channels respectively, and the shielding as a ground line.

Even after stripping the insulation from both lengths this left me with a bulkier, less flexible cable than hoped for. I'm also not entirely satisfied with the Y-split (black heatshrink too skinny), and I had to ream out the Neutrik plug to fit everything through... but who cares, I did it!

I'm not sure if it sounds better than it used to, my ears probably aren't sensitive enough to tell, but after three months of the stock earbuds that came with my mp3 player, I'm back in audio flavour country
beyersmile.png
I'm also loving the clear heatshrink over the silver shielding above the Y split, it catches the light nicely.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #4,564 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big question is...what are those RCA's skyline?

Hey cyberspyder, check out the vampire selection available from Takefive Audio, local supplier, and has that style of RCAs, about $13 a pair

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #4,565 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teukka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my new cable for Beyerdynamic DT 880

-Mogami Quad 2534 Cable
-Viablue Redline Sleeve
-Viablue 3.5mm plug

Nice work. Do they sound any different?

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #4,567 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by haveblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HFI-780 recable. I have since gotten rid of the stubs of shrink wrap that comes out of the cans. I'm still waiting for the dampening material and velour pads to arrive. Then they'll be ALO-780's at half the price
biggrin.gif

[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/fninjap90/IMG_3992.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/fninjap90/IMG_3998.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/fninjap90/IMG_3999.jpg[/IMG]

nice work, but i'm wondering whether without the stubs of heatshrionk whether there is enough strain relief. is that epoxy on the inside of the cup?? if so then no problem. LOL I think ALO and jenalabs would beg to differ
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #4,572 of 16,305
Aug 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4,573 of 16,305
Check the sticky at the top of the DIY forum page
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back