DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #4,081 of 16,305
Thanks you guys
beerchug.gif

I've made a few of these but I went for a clean look this time. As the mic sleeving is almost the same as the out on the Switchcraft I kept all heatshrink hidden. The ground with the wire clamp actually slips inside the mic sleeving also so strain relief is as good as it gets (for solid Silver anyhow).

I use Silver a lot and Various SPOFC but loads of people mention Vampire. Is that the best around? If so can anyone supply me with some?.....

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #4,082 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks you guys
beerchug.gif

I've made a few of these but I went for a clean look this time. As the mic sleeving is almost the same as the out on the Switchcraft I kept all heatshrink hidden. The ground with the wire clamp actually slips inside the mic sleeving also so strain relief is as good as it gets (for solid Silver anyhow).

I use Silver a lot and Various SPOFC but loads of people mention Vampire. Is that the best around? If so can anyone supply me with some?.....

One more note about Heat Shrink,,,,,,,, Have you ever seen a large person in stretch pants? YUCK !!!!. Heat shrink will show all lines, bends, bumps and imperfections. So it doesn't always look better with it.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #4,083 of 16,305
Apr 3, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #4,086 of 16,305
Just built this 8" one; photos are from the workbench (that's what I'm blaming the shot quality on, not my photo ability).
Canare jacks and cable with black tech flex. The springy stress relief things that came with the jacks didn't fit over the sheathing, so I used some heat shrink. It should help hold the tech flex in place better anyway.

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #4,087 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mini poll! Should I leave this cable as is, or finish it with some heatshrink over the plug and start of the cable.....? I'm in two minds.

The plug looks a bit cheapo so the shrink would hide that well, yet the silver colour is a good contrast to the sleeve.....

I vote to leave it as well. I like that look.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #4,089 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FINALLY got around to recabling my D2000s. Cable is 24 gauge silver plated copper in teflon, featuring 2 different sizes of nylon multifilament and the good old Neutrik NP3C-B gold plated TRS. Here's a special secret to those of you recabling this headphone: a great way to get the sleeving through the boot is to use a crotchet hook. You can find them at Jo-Ann Fabrics for a couple of bucks and it'll make things a lot easier. I used a 1.75mm for this application. Also note that when trimming your cable, account for 3-4" inches inside the cup, but I'd imagine that's a given.

Unfortunately I won't be able to enjoy them for long as I was able to obtain a pair of D7000s and will be passing these along, but the clarity of the highs after the recable are startlingly close to the more expensive headphone.

<snip>

Looking good as always.
biggrin.gif

I am interested in your y-split. Care to make a picture of it?

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #4,090 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by v3nom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By far the easiest recable ever:
http://i41.tinypic.com/14j0lk0.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/33acizk.jpg

did you paint your K81 (or 518) to match the cable/plug? For a second there I thought you just somehow got rid of the clover (or w/e it is) part of the AKG logo lol.

Sorry but the whole black/white thing reminds me of Bose IE I see everywhere
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4,091 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you paint your K81 (or 518) to match the cable/plug? For a second there I thought you just somehow got rid of the clover (or w/e it is) part of the AKG logo lol.

Sorry but the whole black/white thing reminds me of Bose IE I see everywhere
tongue.gif

nope, its the k518 LE.
k518le_color.jpg

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #4,092 of 16,305
i just made another lod using mogami 2543 and forgot to put the nylon sleeving on! lol /downsyndrome

do cold solder joints make lods sound worse? i think that might be why my first lod using the qables silver wire doesnt sound good
frown.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #4,093 of 16,305
I think that as long as you have electrical contact, there's no difference in the type of soldering. IIRC cold soldering isn't actual cold, the tip simply stays cold because the heat is generated via arching in a small area. I do find it hard to use on small connections.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4,094 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by schizo1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do cold solder joints make lods sound worse? i think that might be why my first lod using the qables silver wire doesnt sound good
frown.gif

The Qables silver wire should sound good. I've made a couple with it and no issues.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #4,095 of 16,305
First one...

Took more money/time than I wanted... but was a good learnin experience, going to do my DT770 Pro's next...

Swiftcraft 3.5mm, Techflex Carbon over Canare Star-Quad Mic Cable, and some heatshrink... heh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back