DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #3,946 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by quane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will this be a decent plug for an audio cable?
Neutrik - Audio - 1/4" Prof. Phone Plugs, X-Series - NP3X

It should be and I already have it
biggrin.gif
But I'm just checking, because it cost 2x as some cheap-ass plugs but I bought it because I thought it should be made of quality and should be better.

id go with this Neutrik - Audio - 1/4" Prof. Phone Plugs, X-Series - NP3X-B or Fururtech 1/4" or however its spelled.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #3,947 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id go with this Neutrik - Audio - 1/4" Prof. Phone Plugs, X-Series - NP3X-B or Fururtech 1/4" or however its spelled.

And what god almighty difference would it make? It would mean I have to order them from America, no chance I'm doing it unless I'm also getting my cable but I'm just curious what makes you say that.

Edit: When I complete putting together the plug, it's tip is sitting at some odd angle, meaning that the very top of the plug isn't sitting straight? Is this normal or should I return it and can it make any sonic difference (although I'm not worrying about that)?

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3,948 of 16,305
I never said it would be bad i just was saying its not the best. i would always recable and make cables with super high quality wire and plugs so that i will never feel the need to upgrade any wireing. Just my opinion of course you should be fine with that. also depending on what material its made out of will give it a different sound signature (copper-warm, silver-analitical, and gold-neutral(if im not mistaken)). ive never had the chance to use gold so cant tell you much there.

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #3,949 of 16,305
I'm going back and getting a refund as compared to Online prices, it's 2x as expensive and I'll possibly get Canare F-12 instead. Don't really care about size. I'll still look around and i won't do it just yet but anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #3,950 of 16,305
Quote:

also depending on what material its made out of will give it a different sound signature (copper-warm, silver-analitical, and gold-neutral(if im not mistaken)).

That is, if one believes in such things.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #3,951 of 16,305
Just got done recabling my 225s. Used Canare L-4E6S Cable, with some Canare Quad Solder. Also used a radiohack plug for now, until I order a nice Neutrik or Vampire plug. I can tell these plugs suck, because it feels like the left ear is a bit louder, but it could just be my imagination.

2251y.jpg

2252.jpg

2253.jpg

2254v.jpg

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3,953 of 16,305
I don't mean to step on any feet here, that's not my intention, but please keep posts in this thread limited to images and specs of DIY cables and comments relating directly to them. As other members have stated, this is a gallery first and foremost.

People seeking advice on how to build a cable, I encourage you to post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...ep-pics-50729/

People wishing to speak about cables in general, please visit the cable forum: Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)

Thanks very much for your understanding.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3,954 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to step on any feet here, that's not my intention, but please keep posts in this thread limited to images and specs of DIY cables and comments relating directly to them. As other members have stated, this is a gallery first and foremost.

People seeking advice on how to build a cable, I encourage you to post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...ep-pics-50729/

People wishing to speak about cables in general, please visit the cable forum: Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)

Thanks very much for your understanding.

Could you clarify: Are we allowed to talk about what other people used and ask questions about how it sounds? Because if the answer is no I really think this thread is pointless cause nobody wants to just look at re-cabled headphones and not be able to talk about the ones that interest them.

Wait are you even a moderator?

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #3,955 of 16,305
Quote:

Could you clarify: Are we allowed to talk about what other people used and ask questions about how it sounds? Because if the answer is no I really think this thread is pointless cause nobody wants to just look at re-cabled headphones and not be able to talk about the ones that interest them.

Wait are you even a moderator?

This thread is a Gallery first and foremost. If you scroll through the recent pages, you will find that discussion posts tend to dominate the thread. That's not how a gallery should look.

Regards.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #3,956 of 16,305
Quote:

I think he's saying that it's ok to ask about how it sounds, where they sourced it etc (ie related questions) but not to start asking about what the best plug to use for a new build is, or if silver sounds better than copper etc - all covered in other threads.

And fair enough I reckon.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #3,957 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN (Mr Crabs - Love that Avatar!!), does that Canare do anything to help with the Bass? My 701's have the standard cable but I find them a tad light in that area...

I have to pair them with my PPAv2 because that has a Bass pot, but I'd like to use them with my GS Solo.
k701smile.gif

Hard to say. The Canare is already a very fine copper so it does not "darken" the sound. A little dull edged compared to silver, yes they do.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #3,958 of 16,305
343hh4y.jpg

Bet you can't guess which one was the first try lol.

The bigger dock connectors are so much easier to work with

^^DGNeo - how do the bare wires at the Y on a recable hold up? I am debating bare or Techflex cover but I was worried about durability of a bare twist. Plus it seems all I can find for the sleeving is black or the butt-ugly neon colors. None of the nice mixes or stripes.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3,959 of 16,305
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think (I read it somewhere) that you can only get Techflex with Stripes and patterns from ebay as they're custom but I might be absolutely wrong.

Smrt - You said butt-ugly black and neon, it looks like you used Chrome techflex on the top cable (can't really see, need a close-up), and it isn't ugly at all.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #3,960 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by quane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think (I read it somewhere) that you can only get Techflex with Stripes and patterns from ebay as they're custom but I might be absolutely wrong.

Smrt - You said butt-ugly black and neon, it looks like you used Chrome techflex on the top cable (can't really see, need a close-up), and it isn't ugly at all.

I agree, it looks real nice.......

It's not the braided sheild is it? Whatever it is I likeee
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back