DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 12, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #3,151 of 16,309
^^Oi, whats the name of that shielding you used? Techflex?

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #3,153 of 16,309
yes the outer layer on this is 1/8" techflex in 'carbon' flavour which is half black half clear so in the flesh it has a silvery grey kind of.... carbon-like appearance . under this is silk tubing. It is not shielding as such, at least in the electrical sense of the word, although they do make a silvery mylar version which is metalized and can be used as an electronic shield as well as looking great. Unfortunately that is only available in sizes 1/4" and up, so great for rca cables or anything that will be used at home but not so much for portable use; at least thats what I summize from the specs; perhaps it shrinks to a small enough nominal diameter to be used in portable rigs... I guess i'll find out soon. The only type of RF shielding this cable has is 2 grounds, one of which can be a floating shield. Although in this case i'm going to ground it (the second ground wire) just before I fill the mini with epoxy, after i've tested it properly so it can be used with iphone. I just bought some of the mylar and some other type of shielded tubing to try out with the iphone cables so that perhaps they can be used while the phone is on and not just in airplane mode. They will arrive next week sometime. With a decently shielded amp such as anything from headamp or Ray (just to name a couple) there is only mild interference when using the phone and I hope to do away with this entirely by shielding the dock connector and cable properly. I will report back on this.

happy DIY'ing guys
dt880smile.png

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #3,155 of 16,309
First braid some 24 gauge Neotech solid core UPOCC, add some shrink wrap, then temporarily hold it together with some Teflon tape...

1.jpg

Some nylon...

2.jpg

Terminate with Furutech 1/4" plug,

4.jpg

Cardas senn connectors, and Neutrik XLR's...

5.jpg

And we get...

3.jpg

Oh yes, headphones. Don't forget the headphones...

6.jpg

Sounds great out of my Bryston's balanced outputs.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #3,156 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Senn cable ingwe !!!

Indeed!
o2smile.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #3,157 of 16,309
Originally Posted by qusp
Nice Senn cable ingwe !!!

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed!
o2smile.gif

Thanks! Actually I'm amazed I got the L/R lengths even on the first try.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'm using the same wire to make a replacement E500/530 cable. Everything is assembled except for the 3.5mm jack (should be getting it Wednesday).

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #3,158 of 16,309
cool, ingwe,

let me know how the E500 recable goes, wont that wire be a bit stiff/thick for IEM's? as you can see in my sig they are my portable favorites
smile_phones.gif

Gutsy move BTW I think i'd have to be on some pretty serious smart drugs to attempt an SE530 recable; but still i'm very interested to see how it goes.

good luck with that
confused_face_2.gif

edit... or are you just making a replacement extension cable for just below the y-split?

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #3,160 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^
replacement extension cable--should work fine for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

although the canare f12 is pretty big.
smily_headphones1.gif

yep.. big, ugly and a PITA to work with IMHO .....worst solder points ever meh !
darthsmile.gif
oh and did I mention it's UGLY ;>P wire will work fine though.

For a mom=ent I thought you were the gutsiest DIYer I knew; opening up the E500/SE530 for a recable

you have checked that it (the Canare) will actually work in your setup haven't you? canare + mini = oxymoron <-not meant to be condescending ; the canare positively dwarves most portable players and doesn't work with some amp combinations
confused_face(1).gif
very durable I would assume though; I've never hung around with one long enough to find out. Switchcraft=best mini in all aspects IMHO

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #3,161 of 16,309
Quote:

yep.. big, ugly and a PITA to work with IMHO .....worst solder points ever meh !
darthsmile.gif
oh and did I mention it's UGLY ;>P wire will work fine though.

The single-strand wire makes the soldering a bit easier than it would be with stranded. But I agree about the solder points. This time I actually did a good job with it.

The plug itself actually looks pretty good covered in black heat-shrink; pictures when it's finished.

Quote:

For a mom=ent I thought you were the gutsiest DIYer I knew; opening up the E500/SE530 for a recable

Well I did re-shape my e5c with a dremel. Now it fits my outer-ear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

you have checked that it (the Canare) will actually work in your setup haven't you? canare + mini = oxymoron <-not meant to be condescending ; the canare positively dwarves most portable players and doesn't work with some amp combinations
confused_face(1).gif
very durable I would assume though; I've never hung around with one long enough to find out.

That's an excellent point. It works with my hornet; it won't work with my iPhone (but I have an adapter for that).

Quote:

Switchcraft=best mini in all aspects IMHO

I have a bunch of Switchcraft gold right-angle plugs; but I don't want to use those for this application.

Too bad they don't make an in-line mini-jack. Neutrik seems to be the only game in town. Once they're delivered, I can complete the cable--oh boy!

I'm also getting my sensaphonics custom e500/530 tips this week. Feels like my birthday!

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #3,163 of 16,309
Quote:

The plug itself actually looks pretty good covered in black heat-shrink; pictures when it's finished.

shouldn't have to cover a plug in heatshrink to mask its 'inner beauty'
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Well I did re-shape my e5c with a dremel. Now it fits my outer-ear.
smily_headphones1.gif

WOW!!!

Quote:

That's an excellent point. It works with my hornet; it won't work with my iPhone (but I have an adapter for that).

I use that adapter with my 3G phone and I don't even need to, until I get my pico (obviously I won't be able to use it with an amp; i'll have to use my bluetooth set for calls then, or switch out) its the greatest little thing for not having to take my phone out of my pocket all the time. I usually make ! big playlist each day or two and then play just the ones I feel like.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I have a bunch of Switchcraft gold right-angle plugs; but I don't want to use those for this application.

Wouldn't sell me a couple would you? the only way I can get a half decent price here in oz is either to order enough to make the massive international shipping fees from markertek etc. worthwhile
mad.gif
they cost me around $20 hear in oz and even more at qables
confused_face.gif
I'll pay you compensation plus shipping here to oZ

Quote:

Too bad they don't make an in-line mini-jack. Neutrik seems to be the only game in town. Once they're delivered, I can complete the cable--oh boy!

Amen to that. As I said in my earlier post; try coating the neutriks with a couple of coats of satin/semi gloss clear. It really adds to the cosmetic appearance and durability of the neutriks. Otherwise they lose their paint in no time ;>(

Quote:

I'm also getting my sensaphonics custom e500/530 tips this week. Feels like my birthday!

I'm just about to pull the trigger on those as well; any chance of a review when you do? its always great to here a review from a head-fier
darthsmile.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #3,164 of 16,309
Quote:

They really need to. I've had a couple of the Neutrik in-line females drop a channel after they've been used for a while, so I stay away from them. Calrad is the most reliable in-line female mini I've been able to find, but I really wish I had more options. Switchcraft, I'm looking at you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #3,165 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really need to. I've had a couple of the Neutrik in-line females drop a channel after they've been used for a while, so I stay away from them. Calrad is the most reliable in-line female mini I've been able to find, but I really wish I had more options. Switchcraft, I'm looking at you!
smily_headphones1.gif

qusp joins HIGHFLYIN9 in stare at Switchcraft
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back