DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 5, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #2,176 of 16,312
My latest creation, Vela-xlr. The cable is hand-braided from silver-teflon wire. All dielectrics (in addition to teflon) are cotton. Also the teflon wires are insulated from each other with cotton. Screening is added for emi protection. The white color seen through nylon screening is white cotton.

I have also made unbalanced version from this cable.

vela-xlr.png

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #2,179 of 16,312
I wanted to try silver interconnects, so I made this:

hopiakaapeli.jpg

Solid silver wire in a four wire round braid. The dielectric is heatshrink.

So far I really like the sound of this cable, so at some time in the future I'll probably change the connectors to silver ones and put the cable iniside a nylon braid.

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #2,180 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowball_rx-7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much did they charge you per foot?
im really tempted to build a jena labs knock off interconnect, how much worse than the $3 per foot for vampire cryo is it?

Jena charges $6 a foot plus shipping, not too bad, though definitely not the cheapest wire available either.

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #2,187 of 16,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jena charges $6 a foot plus shipping, not too bad, though definitely not the cheapest wire available either.

Ya, i sent you a pm also....do you think i should just call them? I emailed days ago and haven't had a response...

And that stuff is going to get pricy...
You figure 6$ a ft per wire, with 4 runs for a headphone cable (left, right, and a ground to each side), plus shielding wire, sleeving, heatshrink, solder, and termination. that cable ends up being around excesses of 40$ / ft. Ouch...and i wanted a 10 ft xlr to xlr.... guess ill just make the xlrs out of star quad...

But let me know what you think about how to order the wire, thanks.
orphsmile.gif

And...pcwork, you must show us how to do that kind of braid....thats one hot cable.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #2,189 of 16,312
Picture002.jpg

5' Interconnect made with Silver Plated Copper and Neutrik ends. 1/8" Techflex was used for the sleeving.

I think it is descent for my first try. I do not have heatshrink on the ends or anything but I will as soon as I buy some descent stuff. I would also like to try something other than techflex for my cables as it seems kind of stiff. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back