DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #1,981 of 16,305
I made a 6' mini->mini cable for a friend. Neutrik minis and copper wire in a 4-strand roundish braid.

mini%20to%20mini%204%20wire%20round%20braid%206%20ft%20full.jpg

Close up on the mini
neutrik%20mini%20macro.jpg

Random wire photo

copper%20wire%20braid%20close%20up.jpg

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #1,983 of 16,305
My newly finished cable for my 650s. 22AWG silver wire, silver canare F12 mini stereo, and some 4% silver solder to finish it off. It really saved my 650s for me, I was kinda get bored with them, but it brought them forward for me a large amount, and not so laid back anymore like senns are known for. Sounds Great!

650recable29gh.jpg

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #1,984 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by diff_lock2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where do you learn to braid...

I remember there was a link, but i cant find it anywhere...

There are various types of braids you can do. MASantos has a great tutorial for most standard braids here. And I've also found this link to be useful. Hope that helps. Sometimes the best way to figure out a braid is to just experiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFxGeforced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My newly finished cable for my 650s. 22AWG silver wire, silver canare F12 mini stereo, and some 4% silver solder to finish it off. It really saved my 650s for me, I was kinda get bored with them, but it brought them forward for me a large amount, and not so laid back anymore like senns are known for. Sounds Great!

*img*

Very nice, did you just cut up your former cable for the connectors?

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #1,985 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are various types of braids you can do. MASantos has a great tutorial for most standard braids here. And I've also found this link to be useful. Hope that helps. Sometimes the best way to figure out a braid is to just experiment.

The girlfriend calls me such a girl when I braid wires
rolleyes.gif

Nice cables guys.

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #1,986 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nice cables guys.

Just explain to her that all bass detail will be lost without a careful 6-stranded round braid of 22AWG SPC wires in Teflon insulation! Then you can just stick to being a geek
cool.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #1,987 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nice cables guys.

Yes, it's very sad I can braid better than my girlfriend. She told me if we have a daughter, I'm going to be braiding her hair...

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #1,988 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yep, just cut the wire with like 1/2" left, then used soldering iron to melt the enamel off the wire and soldered it up. Thanks for the compliment, I know I'm enjoying it!

here's some more:

650recable37ey.jpg

650recable49ax.jpg

650recable59ix.jpg

thought it'd be the most logical thing to make white right, since they ryhme and all
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #1,990 of 16,305
Thought I'd share a little trick that I learned tonight. I was making an extension cable for a friend so that he can use is Ipod w/ SikDin in his car. Obviously I had no problems coming up with an acceptable male 3.5mm plug so that he could plug into the AUX jack but the cable mount 3.5mm jack was a different story. I tried the TecNec TN-MFS jack but it was too heavy to use for this application so I started rummaging through my parts box. I came across the mini jacks that Tangent specified for the PINT project (Mouser Part #161-7300-EX) and had an idea. Now if you're like me you've cooked a couple of Neutrik's NYS231B plugs by overheating them. If you're also like me you saved the nice aluminum sleeve that comes with these plugs. So, what happens when you combine that sleeve with panel mount mini jack? You get this!
biggrin.gif

73426243.jpg

Add a little heatshrink to provide a little strain relief and you get this:

73426245.jpg

Hope someone else can put this to good use. I've got another 3 of the Neutrik sleeves left so I think I'll try my hand at making something like the Ety P->S conversion cable.

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #1,991 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I'd share a little trick that I learned tonight. I was making an extension cable for a friend so that he can use is Ipod w/ SikDin in his car. Obviously I had no problems coming up with an acceptable male 3.5mm plug so that he could plug into the AUX jack but the cable mount 3.5mm jack was a different story. I tried the TecNec TN-MFS jack but it was too heavy to use for this application so I started rummaging through my parts box. I came across the mini jacks that Tangent specified for the PINT project (Mouser Part #161-7300-EX) and had an idea. Now if you're like me you've cooked a couple of Neutrik's NYS231B plugs by overheating them. If you're also like me you saved the nice aluminum sleeve that comes with these plugs. So, what happens when you combine that sleeve with panel mount mini jack? You get this!
biggrin.gif

*photo*

Add a little heatshrink to provide a little strain relief and you get this:

*photo

Hope someone else can put this to good use. I've got another 3 of the Neutrik sleeves left so I think I'll try my hand at making something like the Ety P->S conversion cable.

Brilliant! You've solved my troubles of looking for a reasonably sized female cable mounted mini. The parts cost of both the female jack and the Neutrik still come out to less than a Calrad mini connector.
580smile.gif

Thanks for sharing that

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #1,992 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USPS just dropped these off! Finally some new parts!!

Hehe... I got some Locking connectors also. WBTs!
OMG017.jpg

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #1,993 of 16,305
That's brilliant Nate, I have used one of those mini jacks as a female cable jack, but only used heatshrink to cover it and provide strain relief. Your's looks much nicer and better finished than mine. I'll definitely do one of those when I get back to Portugal. It is a shame that none of the good manufacturers offers good quality mini female jacks.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #1,995 of 16,305
Nice WBTs saynotopistons! Couldn't afford them this time around but I have a feeling I'm going to order the Nextgens soon.

Just finished these;

One is a bit longer than the other but I'm still pretty happy with them. I really like the stress relief screws on the locking connectors, no need for heatshrink!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back