DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 28, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #1,802 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN
now thats interesting.... but the REANs i have are only around USD1 per piece.. is it supposed to be THAT cheap?

mine happen to look like this
*img*

the entry is also too small for any canare or maruni or even the unknown 4-core cable used above to go in.

The Neutriks I buy are $0.65 each
wink.gif

There are two different barrels for them, 4mm and 6mm. Looks like you got the 4mm; you can use a Unibit to widen it if needbe.

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #1,803 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
Did you tighten the strain-relief metal clamp already?
From the looks of it, they look like the normal Neutriks.

nope...it was already like that when i got it

Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
The Neutriks I buy are $0.65 each
wink.gif

There are two different barrels for them, 4mm and 6mm. Looks like you got the 4mm; you can use a Unibit to widen it if needbe.

interesting...one last question remains....are they any good?

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #1,804 of 16,307
Quote:

now thats interesting.... but the REANs i have are only around USD1 per piece.. is it supposed to be THAT cheap?

mine happen to look like this

the entry is also too small for any canare or maruni or even the unknown 4-core cable used above to go in.

I like to use my little friend called "drill" to make the openings larger when necessary.

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #1,805 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler

to add to this, the 4mm entry Neutrik mini is the NYS231. the 6mm entry Neutrik mini is the NYS231L.

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #1,806 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
I like to use my little friend called "drill" to make the openings larger when necessary.

yeah....thats what i did with my other cheapo plugs. only thing is i dont have a drill. had to pass the others to my best friend to do it for me. cant get him to do it now coz he just became a daddy on the 25th so hell be busy with his firstborn.

i mentioned it in stock form. as an FYI kinda thing
biggrin.gif

would still like to know if these plugs are any good...

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #1,807 of 16,307
Quote:

interesting...one last question remains....are they any good?

Well my personal opinion is follows:

- I like the small footprint of the plugs, It looks nice.
- The fitting of the pin is however not perfect. They will always 'wobble' a little when plugged in. The Switchcraft have a much better contact fitting. Try for your self.
I also think that has an influence on the sound quality although hard to notice.

But for the price..... it is a very nice connector.

Rgds Hans.

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #1,808 of 16,307
Quote:

yeah....thats what i did with my other cheapo plugs. only thing is i dont have a drill. had to pass the others to my best friend to do it for me. cant get him to do it now coz he just became a daddy on the 25th so hell be busy with his firstborn.

i mentioned it in stock form. as an FYI kinda thing
biggrin.gif

would still like to know if these plugs are any good...

You could just pay $1 and see for yourself. I personally really like them, but it can be a nuisance at times to screw on the barrel. I much prefer them to the Canare F12 though, that thing is far too big for my needs.

Here's my latest cable using said connectors...

mini%20to%20mini%20silver%20resized.jpg

mini%20to%20mini%20silver%20close%20up.jpg

It's pretty much exactly what mb3k made some time ago. 3 strands of silver, 4mm Neutriks, etc

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #1,810 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
That's a nice looking cable Hem, the braid it tight which makes it look better. Did you braid yourself, or did you buy pre-braided wire?

I braided it myself. The silver was taken from something I had made previous, so it was already twisted which made it hard to rebraid consistently. It's mostly evened out, but I'm sure something prebraided like the wire from HGA would be more evenly spaced than mine.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #1,812 of 16,307
thanks alot for ur thougts on the REANs guys...real big help

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #1,813 of 16,307
its a sunday, im free. and i had nuttin better to do. so i made another mini-rca to test with my headamp (that makes it 3 cables to test!!)

blueminirca1pf1.jpg

blueminirca3wi3.jpg

mini is a cheapo plug. the RCA is some cheap china brand "Choseal" supposedly a "Super Pure Copper Connector" as stated on the packaging.

cable is a fake of the Canare L-2T2S. labelled as Canere L2T-2S. yes.. its spelled with an E and the "-" in the model number is in the wrong place
biggrin.gif
just like the original its a 2-core shielded cable.

under the clear heatshrink, the silver cables u see spiralling around the blue and white RCA cable is actually the shield. took me some time to unbraid it. used it as ground on the mini side. but did not terminate it on the RCA side (should i have terminated it?? its a uni-directional cable anyway)

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #1,814 of 16,307
Quote:

under the clear heatshrink, the silver cables u see spiralling around the blue and white RCA cable is actually the shield. took me some time to unbraid it. used it as ground on the mini side. but did not terminate it on the RCA side (should i have terminated it?? its a uni-directional cable anyway)

It won't work unless you terminate the shield at the RCA side as well.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #1,815 of 16,307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hevimees
It won't work unless you terminate the shield at the RCA side as well.

I would like to point that a shield should only be connected at one side, not both! So it was done correctly.
If you connect a shield at both sides there can start flowing current through it and create humm, noise etc.. Always avoid ground loops for that reason!

Maybe you are mistaking with the return lead?

Rgds Hans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back