DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 6, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #1,726 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
LOL, is that Multifilament Nylon I see there and THEN braided?

Nice job.

-Ed

right. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #1,727 of 16,305
I just re-cabled my Hd580, which I purchased from bloodydoorknob, with Canare Star Quad last night. From what little listening I could do, I could clearly hear a much better and fuller sound than that with the stock cable. It was quite surprisingly much easier than I believed it would be. The toughest part was stripping the original connectors and cutting them for re-cabling.

Here are a couple pictures:

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #1,729 of 16,305
newplugamp.jpg
newplugfront.jpg

newplugside.jpg
newplugup.jpg
newplugcord.jpg
goldblack.jpg

I have been developing a new cord that is primarily copper through out. These are the plugs I thought that I would use.They are machined from brass and plated with 24K gold, no other sub plating.
They are bigger than a typical plug but very well made and extremely attractive. I added the gold ring for positioning purposes due to the wire being UHPLC copper and tends to require a long burn in, I wanted to make it simple to recall which end was in the amp if removed.
mcpig

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #1,730 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
dsc01804xy6.jpg

This reminds me of a cable I made that I called the 'shoe string cable':
string.jpg

[size=xx-small]sorry about the bad lighting[/size]

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #1,732 of 16,305
I shamefully admit this is the first cable i have constructed with this degree of care, previous to this the rest have been pure function over form!

jack_adaptor.jpg

It was built solely for the purpose of allowing me to try my cheapy Shure IEM's on my Millet Hybrid, all of the parts where obtained from a UK Electronics supplier (MAPLIN) and it uses no boutique parts whatsoever. The flex is standard nylon type covering unsheilded, silver plated multistand copper (teflon outer) - arranged in a simple braid 1 over (2 over 3). Plugs again are Maplin own brand and are covered with shrink wrap.

I intend on creating more cables as time progresses ultimately wanting to recable my HD650's. Starquad interconnects are next on the list though for comparison with my bought cables.

Matt

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #1,738 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
EFN, do you find that the cable unplugs easily due to the weight of the cable?

They stayed in tight. I used high grade stereo mini jacks (un-named Japanese) which has been resoldered to mono. I choose 3.8mm jacks because they are stouter than the smaller 2.5mm. No problem so far and they are sonically good.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #1,739 of 16,305
I was thinking of doing something very similar. A couple inches from the cup of my headphone put an in-line female mini jack so I can have one long cord for home use and a short cord for portable or w/e. You're method looks more factory though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back