DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 23, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #1,336 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
Very nice Y split on that senn recable. How do you make the middle barrel portion (in between the split look like a perfect barrel shape??

thanks for the compliment, its just a leftover mini neutrik barrel i had sitting around, slid over the joint and heat shrunk in place. I'm thinking what might be nice as well is a 1.5" long piece of 5/16"-3/8" dia aluminum tube (available at any hobby shop/craft store). I've actually thought about machining a y-split from some 1/2" aluminum round stock or rectangular stock with one large hole in the bottom, and two small holes in the top, using set screws or epoxy to keep everything in place... just haven't found the time to do it yet.

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #1,337 of 16,305
My first Mini-to-RCA.

Specs: ~2.5 feet, Canare starquad (Purple), Switchcraft RA mini plug, Vampire RCA plugs, white techflex over starquad before split, white techflex over black and red techflex after split.

rca.JPG

Action shot!
tongue.gif

IMG_1454.JPG

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #1,338 of 16,305
So you use epoxy to hold the barrel in place? That's what i've always wanted my cables to look like, I haven't got the Y part down, its my final step to make them look really professional. Great work!

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #1,339 of 16,305
the assembly went like this:

untwist the quad. twist the 2 pairs together. slide tech flex over each run of the R & L pair and the main cable. heatshrink the bottom end (nearest the 'Y') of the R&L pair. Heatshrink the end of the main cable, overlapping the R & L twisted pairs by about .5". slide neutrik barrel over the 'Y' joint. heatshrink in place. no epoxy was used and its pretty stout. the heatshrink is enough to keep everything in place.

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #1,340 of 16,305
Very cool, Im gonna give that a try next Y splitter i make for no reason
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #1,345 of 16,305
First proper speaker cables.
Canare 4S11 cable
Black Techflex
Exodus plugs

P1030556.jpg
[/IMG]

P1030555.jpg
[/IMG]

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #1,346 of 16,305
There are some very nice looking audio interconnects in this thread. And thanks to this thread, I've even created some myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was wondering, has anyone tried video? Any pics of the steps to putting digital coaxial together?

If I missed them on previous posts, sorry. This thread is kinda long at almost 70 pages :p

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #1,347 of 16,305
Systm made a nice video of how to make audio and video interconnects. Someone posted a link a while back, should come up in search.

I haven't had the desire to make video interconnects myself, mostly because you have to worry about the spec (75ohm) which limits you to certain wire, and then you have to buy pricey crimpers that are usually specific to a particular brand.

There is already some good stuff out there that is pretty cheap so you'd have to require a number of cables in order for that crimper to be worth buying, otherwise you might as well buy whats already out there and save a few bucks. Also component seems to be getting fazed out anyway, and I don't see any likelyhood of people DIYing HDMI and DVI cables anytime soon.

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #1,348 of 16,305
I have a question about making a power cable for my dialogue II. The only cable i have lying around is a 4 conductor 24 awg wire. Now as far as the gauge is that way too small? What differences would it make. I realize that not as much current could flow do to the smaller amount of conductors, but how much current can a dac need anways. I was thinking about just doubling up on the conductors for posi and neg. and wrapping some 10 gauge around the casing for the ground. Is this a feasible idea?

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #1,349 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
I have a question about making a power cable for my dialogue II. The only cable i have lying around is a 4 conductor 24 awg wire. Now as far as the gauge is that way too small? What differences would it make. I realize that not as much current could flow do to the smaller amount of conductors, but how much current can a dac need anways. I was thinking about just doubling up on the conductors for posi and neg. and wrapping some 10 gauge around the casing for the ground. Is this a feasible idea?

Ive typically found a 16/18awg shielded cable to be ideal with digital component s.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #1,350 of 16,305
Would there be any difference if i used the smaller gauge? What are the downsides of it. I'm still not even sure if ill notice a diff in power cables, im just addicted to making purty cables
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back