DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 7, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #16,126 of 16,305
Well, I got to be lucky on some things!
In case of tube rolling, I did not have access to your variety of tubes for sure, perhaps that's why I didn't hear anything.
On signal tubes, if they are not faulty and within average spec. of the group test, I do not hear any differences, unless one happens to be more microphonic, and I listen at loud volumes, very close to the tube - then yes, it can show changes.
On power tubes, I hear differences, but small differences, each is actually unique but a tiny amount, not enough for me to tell blind.
On resistors, almost never can I tell. Again, unless it picks up RF due to its type and location.
On capacitors, I hear a lot more of differences, but it has to be in direct signal path - coupling, feedback or power supply. On coupling capacitors, my choice has been vintage paper in oil types, specially the cheap Russian ones (K40Y IIRC).
I need to declare, I am not really a tube guy, I meddle for fun, My OTLs sound pretty good to me, but I am always scared a glitch might blow up my speakers! But i put up with them, because they sound extra clean.
Thanx for listening.
All of the tubes used were NOS or testing as new. I use the term equivalents because we included single triode tubes, Loktals, etc.

Getting back to cables I could hear slight differences in headphone cables after using a cable cooker.

You as an engineer will appreciate this. In order to win a rather large bet, friends handed me a bucket of parts and bet me I could not make a decent sounding SET amp. The power tubes were WW 2 vintage pentodes used on transmitters by Russians and Germans. A1DF9C0F-8A42-4960-B452-261A3AB9F931.jpeg

I won the bet and then upgraded to 1942 German tubes used on submarines.

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #16,127 of 16,305
Putting covers on tubes should help with microphonics, I am guessing - but won't it affect temperature equilibrium? Won't the plates get too hot in high bias situations?
Some tubes have better upper supports and are less microphonic anyway. I vented the tubes and all worked well. I left a lot of room in the pvc.

Jun 7, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #16,128 of 16,305
All of the tubes used were NOS or testing as new. I use the term equivalents because we included single triode tubes, Loktals, etc.

Getting back to cables I could hear slight differences in headphone cables after using a cable cooker.

You as an engineer will appreciate this. In order to win a rather large bet, friends handed me a bucket of parts and bet me I could not make a decent sounding SET amp. The power tubes were WW 2 vintage pentodes used on transmitters by Russians and Germans.A1DF9C0F-8A42-4960-B452-261A3AB9F931.jpeg

I won the bet and then upgraded to 1942 German tubes used on submarines.
I have stayed away from SETs.
Transformers and power supplies need a hell of attention.
Air gaps, heating windings . . . .

Jun 7, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #16,129 of 16,305
I have stayed away from SETs.
Transformers and power supplies need a hell of attention.
Air gaps, heating windings . . . .
Each to their own, I only do Class A and extremely little solid state. It is about the sound for me, not measurements or practicality. My next amp will be a Prima Luna EVO 400 integrated. 14 tubes.😁😁

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #16,131 of 16,305
Just ordinary china stuff cable. Came out pretty nice. 16awg I think it was for single litz cable. Was not sure of the color scheme but it turned out pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_20220605_172212.jpg
    IMG_20220605_172212.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #16,132 of 16,305
Just ordinary china stuff cable. Came out pretty nice. 16awg I think it was for single litz cable. Was not sure of the color scheme but it turned out pretty.
Very pretty 'n good taste, I love the terminations. Great minds think alike giggle, I made a very similar cable with same terminations just a week or so ago.

Yours looks fantastic!

Here's mine

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_145921copy.jpg
    IMG_20220609_145921copy.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #16,133 of 16,305
Looks pretty cool actually.
How does it sound?

Jun 18, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #16,134 of 16,305
Awesome looking connectors :)

I am a beginner and have only been making mostly converter adapters or interconnects but below is my 1st attempt at making headphone cable for my Susvara using pure silver cable sourced from China but using Neutrik connectors, 3.5mm and 4 pin XLR connectors.

20220607_214502.jpg

below are some of the adapter cables I just made1/4" male to 4 pin female XLR, also using Neutrik using pure silver cable.

20220618_135847_1.jpg

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #16,135 of 16,305
Very pretty 'n good taste, I love the terminations. Great minds think alike giggle, I made a very similar cable with same terminations just a week or so ago.

Yours looks fantastic!

Here's mine

Thanks! If so, I managed to get this first haha. The connectors look very nice, price is high IMO but worth it for a bit pricier cable (20 euro usual vs 120 euro or so for this). I like your cable a lot, the litz pattern is looking very sick and single color is what I was looking for at first. What cable did you use? I got this from the link, nice litz cable and one cable is around 1,5mm² or 16awg. They are BIG and barely managed to fit in the miniXLR-connectors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003809403409.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.7e9e1802djoDe5

And I was surprised to see same connectors and you inspired me to post my cable. But now that I've looked your cable, the pattern of braiding I am a bit jealous as that colour and pattern was what I was looking for.. This cable was 8-core for 65 euros and 3 meter long. Other cables we're so much more expensive that I wouldn't have done this if only cable was 300-400 euros for 2,5-3m and 8-core.

Looks pretty cool actually.
How does it sound?
I usually don't believe in it, some exceptions I have seen. Like Ether CX stock cable. But for thinner (As xtiva's cable below) this did bring a lot more meat to the sound without taking away high. It felt like Verite Closed's didn't get enough voltage from my Rebel amp. But I know how thick the cable is in the ZMF headphones, it isn't very thick also. I tested few times but yes, it brought meat to the sound, I think more alive and musical tone and also bass department sounded meatier and more hefty. It may be a bit darker now from the thinner sound but not much. Exception makes the rule but I am thinking some cable may bring a difference to sound, not always but sometimes. Just like before but this was so uplifting difference that it can also be better, not just odd highs as the OG CX cable. I need to test this more today.

Have you had good or bad experiences with cables? If so, tell some experience with it. Headphone, dac-amp and cables. Thanks!

Awesome looking connectors :)

I am a beginner and have only been making mostly converter adapters or interconnects but below is my 1st attempt at making headphone cable for my Susvara using pure silver cable sourced from China but using Neutrik connectors, 3.5mm and 4 pin XLR connectors.

below are some of the adapter cables I just made1/4" male to 4 pin female XLR, also using Neutrik using pure silver cable.

I was making these kind of cables few years ago until today. This was first more expensive and more hifi to try. I've done cables like yours with the 8-core silver black sheat and copper transparent sheat for few years and made them to order 1 or 2 years. I've sold 10-15 maybe to Finland, I've had a bit of price but did everything extremely well and good quality. If your soldering is on point I'd love to say that's my cable too! Very well done, no odd heatshrink and perfect braiding. I took from Zach that I use o-ring as marking for right side cup, other that that this is just like mine. Great work!

For a tip, I used hot glue to tie down everything in the connector so it doesn't short and it does help as a strain relief. But it can make the boot hard to screw back together if there's a bit too much of it. Hope you get better and enjoy the frustrating hobby with cables, haha!

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #16,136 of 16,305
For a tip, I used hot glue to tie down everything in the connector so it doesn't short and it does help as a strain relief. But it can make the boot hard to screw back together if there's a bit too much of it. Hope you get better and enjoy the frustrating hobby with cables, haha!
Oh great thanks for the tip :) awaiting for the order of more higher-priced cable will try your tip with this time :)

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #16,137 of 16,305
Thanks! If so, I managed to get this first haha. The connectors look very nice, price is high IMO but worth it for a bit pricier cable (20 euro usual vs 120 euro or so for this). I like your cable a lot, the litz pattern is looking very sick and single color is what I was looking for at first. What cable did you use? I got this from the link, nice litz cable and one cable is around 1,5mm² or 16awg. They are BIG and barely managed to fit in the miniXLR-connectors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003809403409.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.7e9e1802djoDe5

And I was surprised to see same connectors and you inspired me to post my cable. But now that I've looked your cable, the pattern of braiding I am a bit jealous as that colour and pattern was what I was looking for.. This cable was 8-core for 65 euros and 3 meter long. Other cables we're so much more expensive that I wouldn't have done this if only cable was 300-400 euros for 2,5-3m and 8-core.

I agree, those mini xlr's are a bit expensive but nice quality terminations normally are but I just love them so bought a few sets. Least buying them out of China is more affordable than locally through retail you would pay double or more. I just had to have them though and they match all my cables as I tend to like shiny so I buy all mine in that same style (rhodium with the carbon fiber etc)..

The cable I used above is 15/16awg conductor/core size. I think from memory outer insulator/cover size measures almost 1.9mm. It's 140 strand count per core, (not pre-braided) and cost is $8.79 p/m. I used 22m to make my cable so approx $200 worth of cable alone if paying p/m and finished cable braided measures appox 1,9m after braiding. Another tip! If going to make a couple or more cables it works out much cheaper to buy 100m+ of cable

So not cheap cable I guess, but not crazy expensive either depending on how you buy... These days only make cables for myself as it causes me much pain and it's very difficult for me (I'm an old retired disabled bloke)

edit: for any interested I'll share one of my hints/tips also,
I like to use PTFE (Teflon plumbers tape) between solder joint/each different wire/s at terminations before hot gluing or heat-shrinking and securing things down etc...

Pre braiding image of 22m cut cable: Copper sure can look pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_153811copy.jpg
    IMG_20220608_153811copy.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #16,138 of 16,305
BTW, what connectors would you recommend for 4-pin XLR? I have bought some from aliexpress, carbon-looking ones, but they were not a good fit when you tried to connect to the amp.... Thanks.

Jun 18, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #16,139 of 16,305
Do you mean the chrome one's with carbon? I've had good experiences with QYFang and R Connector. Of course Neutrik would get you easily done and propably find it in your country.

Jun 18, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #16,140 of 16,305
Do you mean the chrome one's with carbon? I've had good experiences with QYFang and R Connector. Of course Neutrik would get you easily done and propably find it in your country.
Oh yeah QYFANG is the one I bought actually... yeah Neutrik is the only connector that I can source locally easily... Thanks :)
20220618_173818_1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back