DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #15,139 of 16,305
First attempt, mod the DT220 for 3.5mm entry. These sockets look much neater than the old external ring type but take more room inside the shell. Went for a simple braid as the first go.

Going to try a double entry Y-split braid next.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #15,142 of 16,305
Hi guys, I'm interested in vintage cable (not "vintage style") but I couldn't find vintage wire suppliers except in eBay.
Do you know any shops?

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #15,143 of 16,305
  I wanted a new longer cable to listen in the chair in my office. I decided to DIY for my cable based on the great info here. One thing I wanted was to make a cool custom titanium bead for the Y. I do cool custom titanium whistles as a hobby so felt like I could do the beads with a little bit of work.

This is how the project turned out. The bead is ~ 0.8" long and made from 0.45" round 6Al4V titanium. I made two different designs. I used the one with the stippling for my cable and have an extra with the dots. I added some nice sapphire blue anodizing to give it some color.

I ended up ordering the components and assembling the cable - I think the project turned out great. I went with Cardas 4x24 cable, Rean connectors on the Audeze side, and Neutrik for the balanced side.

That splitter looks sick!

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #15,144 of 16,305
There is a discussion of the sonic characteristics of using Kumihimo for headphone cables over on the DIY thread. If anyone is interested, looking for comments there.

WooHoo! I finally finished my balanced Utopia cable. 

8 strand mogami W2799
Individually sleeved into ParacordPlanet 95 lb paracord
Bead purchased at a craft recycling store in Colorado Springs (10 for 25 cents, such a deal!)

Sound great to me. Way lighter than stock cable! I love making things. A hobby ain't a hobby unless you make something.

The Lemo connector is tiny, but I found it easier to solder than the HD800 connector. The hole there is wide enough to slide the two 26AWG (effectively 24AWG) wire into. After I soldered the blue, i slid the heat shrink up and melted it. I used a hemostat to hold the wire as I soldered it, which allowed me to hold it close, not burn my fingers, and acted as a heat sink to protect the heat shrink.

Technically I didn't need the bead as the Y of the braid of the 8 strand to 4 strand holds really well, but I like the bead.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #15,145 of 16,305
Finally got around to building a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter.

22awg OCC SPC

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #15,146 of 16,305
Built this 2.5mm TRRS to 2X 3.5mm OCC for my Meze 99 Classics.

Thats the 22Awg OCC Copper with translucent black jacket by Norne Audio

I thought it was a handsome choice, especially for something like the 99 Classic.

Sadly, I'm still waiting on the 3D printed mod to allow 3rd-party 3.5mm plugs to work. Until then, this cable is just eye-candy sitting on my desk.
frown.gif

anywhere that sells a smaller gauge?

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #15,150 of 16,305
Mogami 2552 - Shoelace - Knockoff chinese TRS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back